Montage Laguna Beach
Laguna Brisas Hotel(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
$199
  • Breakfast included
Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
$239
Art Hotel - Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
$170
$165
The Ranch at Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)
$299
Laguna Beach Lodge(Laguna Beach)
$135
$253
$179
  • Beachfront
Laguna Beach House(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
$339
Travelocity
$676
$593
Preferred Hotels
  • Pool
The Tides Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)(Great Value!)
$180
$155
Travelocity
The Inn At Laguna Beach(Laguna Beach)
$295
$282
Cancelon
1,414 results
All reviewsspa poolstudio restaurantmain poollobby loungekids clubfour seasonsthe ritzbusiness conferencepool stafffitness centerbeautiful propertystar resortsouthern californiaincredible viewsocean viewturn down servicefire pit
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed at The Montage the last few days of December including New Year's Eve. THIS IS A MOST AMAZING PLACE!!! THE VIEWS AND SPA ARE INCREDIBLE!! The service from the very start was excellent. Michelle was especially helpful in getting us into our room and answering any questions throughout our stay. Make no mistake, this is a pricey place. Everything is expensive and if you are not prepared to spend the money, then don't even bother to book your rooms.

The only drawback to this hotel is the rather highly overrated "award winning" food. It is extremely costly to eat here and the food is extremely pretentious and overpriced and most importantly not very good.

We loved the breakfast in The Loft, but prepare to spend over $100 on breakfast for two.

The Mosaic Grill was our favorite place to eat, but again the food was only average and the prices are very expensive.

The Studio was the worst. If you can't eat seafood and don't prefer organ meats, then your selections are limited. We questioned the hotel staff about whether the restaurants were independently owned because the level of service was not on par with the rest of the hotel. I guess that no one really eats in California. They just show up to be seen, pay unbelievable prices and push the ood around. Our Sommelier was still wet behind the ears, opened our wine selection and decanted it away from our table without our permission. He was not aware that he was waiting on a man old enough to be his father who had over 25 years in the restaurant business. Most of the food we observed was ridiculous. While the cheese plate was nicely presented it basically boils down to paying $5 for a teaspoon of cheese. You are treated like a criminal if you ask for salt and cracked pepper on your table. I could go on and on.

We so enjoyed our stay and would like to come again, but we will make other arrangements for dinner. Perhaps at the Ritz. At least there you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

We are so pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing visit to Montage Laguna Beach. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I will start by saying how delighted I am that your time spent at Spa Montage was so enjoyable and that you received excellent service. Thank you for your appreciation and commendation which has been shared with the spa and Michelle in Guest Reception. I apologize for the negative experience you had in Studio. I am disappointed that you feel the food quality did not match the price and I will address and review this specifically with our team in Studio. Also, I am truly sorry that the level of service at the dining outlets did not match up with the caliber of service in the rest of the resort. We strive to deliver the highest level of service with an incredible sense of humility. I only wish you would have received this in every area of the resort. I will send you a private message that includes my contact information. I would look forward to hearing from you so that we can properly follow up and discuss how to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

Never thought I would be in a hotel that covers every little detail like this hotel. If you don't stay at the Spa Montage you have skipped a must "DO" in your life time. When you have the valet get your car and there are complimentary waters and complimentary hats on your dash...that's class!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

I am so pleased that your relaxing stay was enhanced by Spa Montage. We pride ourselves on paying great attention to detail in order to ensure a truly memorable experience. We believe it is the little touches that set us apart, and I am delighted that your experience exceeded your expectations. We look forward to many more.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

This hotel is fantastic on all counts. Extremely well thought out design. It focuses on the views which are completely spectacular. Sky meets ocean and the windows will accentuate the grandness of the horizon every which way you look. The staff greet you in a manner that is warm, welcoming, accommodating, asking where we came from and ensuring we felt immediately relaxed by sharing where they come from. An excellent technique considering the grounds can potentially be intimidating (no matter who you are) as they are exceptionally upscale.

The price point is very high. I have been to many hotels that are higher but have been in vacation locations in the tropics and they often include a butler service and all inclusive foods. The rooms are wonderful, views incredible, bathroom and sunken tub well worth enjoying. But I found it difficult to justify to myself the room vs. cost of room and wanted to explore more of the grounds and amenities they offered to dissolve that slight "niggly" I had. I kept thinking, "perhaps we can afford this, but is this how I'd chose to spend my money?". Upon further exploration the grounds and settings continued to inject me with this wonderful California beach feel, the other patrons all felt like they probably were born with money and some were very recognizable faces. When my spouse used the restroom facilities and noted he was beside the richest man in America and perhaps the world...we realized perhaps we had outpriced ourselves this stay!

The front lobby was relaxing and we also enjoyed the restaurant just one floor down. The mixed drinks were fresh and delicious, the salads equally so. I soon realized people weren't wearing sunglasses inside to hide who they were (although I did see some faces that could have easily done so) but because the natural light is so spectacular one needs shades to see the view without squinting!

The Stewards were unbelievable and learned our situation on New Year's Eve was something unique as my spouse was meeting with clients from Asia that evening who did not care it was New Year's Eve and kept my spouse very late. When staff heard we had not arranged a celebration, or dinner for ourselves they helped me get a table at The Loft where there was a $400 per person wine pairing, six course meal and fantastic band. The Sommelier was unbelievable and every wine she served was perfection. Some of the courses felt a little mass meal (they were serving a price fix for New Years and brought out plates of the same items for everyone), although still delicious, lobster was slightly tough, veal along the same lines - nothing that was a culinary masterpiece but enjoyable all the same. Then again when you are forking over $800 for the meal, I did expect some of the food to wow me.

The next morning we walked the seawall and it immediately melted away any "niggly" I had about spending my money. Feeling like I knew everyone on the walk way I soon realized it was because they were either A-list actors or Directors. Obviously they cater to the film industry. Although the design of the place was more traditional luxury than our more upscale hipster style I could appreciate how incredibly detailed they were willing to go to ensure every space was well thought out and defined with the same style. The art work was wonderful. Just walking the grounds, sitting by the fire pit, enjoying the pool would have been incredible, my main regret was not having time to do all of those as we had such a short window of time....if you go, make sure you are going to completely take advantage of the grounds...

I spent the afternoon at the spa and was incredibly impressed with the steam, sauna and pool set half outdoors and the spa pool was another explosion for the senses with the evening lighting, the sunset, and the way they ensured the palm trees had just enough light to illuminate in the night sky.

I wouldn't necessarily come back - more because my spouse didn't get to spend as much time there as I did and he felt the cost vs. what you get doesn't work for us. We aren't Oprah and who knows, she's probably been there! I would recommend to a friend, but I would make sure they were someone in a tax bracket who would never sneeze at the amount of money they would be spending. Just as well, this hotel seems to cater to those who would never question the cost of anything and wonderful for that type of clientele to have a place to stay that is so incredible. It feels more like a culture where those who live in the area "do lunch" and high society meets to relax.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

I would like to express to you my sincere gratitude for detailing every aspect of your recent stay. We thank both you and your husband for choosing to spend your New Year’s with us. I appreciate your comment that Montage Laguna Beach is “more of a culture than a hotel.” Our culture is made up of a dedicated team of people who all value graciousness, integrity and passion. I am pleased that your interactions with our staff were nothing short of this. I can appreciate your comment regarding the price point, especially considering the many options available to you. For this reason we seek to cater to our guests by truly customizing their stay to their specific preferences. I only hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to provide this service even more so. I would like to apologize for your disappointment with the lobster and veal when dining at Studio. I can imagine how these items not being prepared to your preference would disrupt an otherwise wonderful meal. However, I am delighted that you enjoyed your interaction with the Sommeliers. We hope to welcome you back to Studio and redefine your experience with us. We would be honored to welcome you and your husband back for more memorable stays. I will send you a private message with my contact information. Please reach out to me so we can discuss the possibility of many more future visits.

Reviewed January 16, 2011

Highly recommendable hotel e.g. for guests who search a romantic place with outstanding view on the ocean. The hotel is located at the South Coast Highway directly on the sea. The lobby-level is in an upper level of the hotel and you go downstairs to the pool, terrase and ocean as it is built in terrasse-style on a hill. The hotel offers 250 rooms but does not seem that big. You can enjoy breakfast on the balcony with view at the oceon. The breakfast is simply delicous, also we had dinner in 2 of the hotel´s restaurants: The Mosaic Bar & Grill and The Studio, which is located in a separate building in the park of the hotel at pool-level.
At the opposite of the hotel there is a drugstore for any needs.

• Stayed: November 2010

We thank you for your recent visit to the resort and are grateful that you chose to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed a romantic and rejuvenating getaway. Your praise of Mosaic and Studio is sincerely appreciated. We hope to share many more relaxing experiences with you. The incredible ocean views and beautiful setting will be waiting for you when you return.

All the best,

Reviewed January 8, 2011

Simple...if you have the money to stay here, you'll enjoy it. Outstanding location, simply beautiful....you know it used to be a trailer park.

You'll enjoy you stay and feel like a king if you stay here. But, keep in mind this all comes at a price. If I were paying for it, I probably would feel differently.

If you can't afford it, by al means stop by to see the view and have a drink or a walk around the property. Public parking is nearby.

But if you can afford it, book a room and enjoy one of the best experiences you can have.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank newyorker88
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

I would like to take a moment and thank you for your great feedback of Montage Laguna Beach and for your most recent visit. I am pleased that you were pampered during your stay and treated “like a king.” We could only hope all of our guests share the same sentiments.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more relaxing experiences. I would like to encourage you to continue to check our website for availability as we do have special offers and packages throughout the year. We hope you will visit us again and we can become your new home away from home.

Warm Regards,