“Weekend at the Montage”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Illinois
“Weekend at the Montage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2006

Our second stay at the beautiful Montage Spa right on the Pacific ocean. This is very pricey. We booked through American Express.
Don't expect any short cuts here. The spa is fabulous but expect to pay 230 for a message. it has its own large lap pool and is heated.
The first room over looked new construction so we requested another room which we found lovely. It has a private balcony overlooking the ocean, large marble bathroom with all the best soaps, shampoos. Definitely eat breafast at the Loft. It feels like hanging over the ocean.
We suggest one dinner at the Studio restaurant also on a cliff near the beach.
And the gounds and beach are what you go there to experience Southern California. It is a cut above the Ritz at Dana Point.

• Liked — the beauty and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — check the prices
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Defm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2006

First of all, I know The Montage is a very pricey resort. I would probably never have gone here if I had to pay for anything...but since my husband had his annual manager's meeting here, everything was paid for. So I have to say for that reason, this was the best resort/hotel I have ever stayed at. The service was exceptional. They treat you like royalty. They move out of your way when you walk by. I look like a kid too so to get that kind of service surprised me actually. I wanted to take advantage of everything. I ate at The Loft several times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food was delicious. I also woke up early and went to a kickboxing class. The instructor was awesome!! I never got her name but she was so much fun and it was a REAL workout! Then I spent a few hours at the spa and had one of the best massages ever. I could not stay awake! I was at the pool every chance I got. I am from Southern California and the weather there was perfect when I was there. I even brought my 18-month old daughter and she loved the kiddie pool. We ate at the pool, sang songs, and just had a great time. I don't know if I would pay that much for The Montage but I did have the time of my life there.

• Liked — The pool and spa.
  • Disliked — The beds and pillows were too soft for me.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't waste your time in the room. Experience the gym, pool, and spa to the fullest!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank calady
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2006

I stayed at this hotel several times the first year it opened when the prices were reasonable and the service and accomodations were impeccable. This year when I returned however, things had drastically changed. The room was dirty and smelly, the toilet didn't work, and it was so noisy (music and people right up until 10:00 PM) I couldn't relax or hear the waves. It took me forever to get my car when I valet parked even when I notified them ahead of time. The staff were arrogant and the spa service was not up to par. But the topper to the whole thing was that the prices had doubled! This hotel is not worth the unbelievalbe and unreasonable prices they charge for everything. The grounds and ocean remain beautiful, but they are accessible to the public. If I return it will be to visit the beach, not to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank SophiRose
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

We love to travel and visit new hotels, but that will be hard now after our experience at the Montage. the hotel is beautiful and comfortable, but it was the restaurants that stand out to me.

The most well-known, Studio, did not dissapoint us at all, but it was the Loft that blew us away. They have this cheese bar that is out of this world. We also loved the outdoor restaurant, Mosaic. Great for an afternoon glass of wine and interesting food.

The spa was good, but my husband did not have a good experience at all.

We have visited most five star resorts in Southern California and would put Montage on the top of the list. Totally more enjoyable that St Regis and the Ritz Carlton, and with better restaurants.

• Liked — Dining
  • Disliked — Orange county traffic
  • Tips/Secrets — Book in advance and request a pool view room
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank AaronRa
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2006

This is a beautiful resort in a stunning location, with prices that are beyond outragous, bugs in the bathroom and service that ranges from snooty to fabulous. Sorry to be all over the map about this resort, but I've never spent $850/night for a hotel room. I really expected more. My first impression was not a good one, to put it mildly. The front desk had mis-booked the room under a wrong name (although that could have been Amex's fault), and the manager who tried to "sort" things out had an attitude the likes of which i've ever seen. She treated me like I was a thief, trying to slip into someone else's room (even though I offered my credit card upon check in). The icing on the cake was when she actually uttered the words "we don't let just ANYONE check in here" to the Amex agent who was trying to sort things out. I had very mixed feelings about spending thousands of dollars at any place that treated me that way. My friend convinced me to stay the weekend (partly because we had pre-booked spa appointments). The room was nice. But for $850, I really expect more. The bed are SUPER comfortable. The towels, however, were scratchy. And let me once again mention the bugs in the bathroom. Big, brown, with lots of legs. They were there on two occasions (once when I was washing my face - it crawled out of the drainhole into the sink). The food was really exceptional, but did I mention beyond outrageously expensive? The rate came with a $50/day breakfast credit. I know, you're thinking what I was thinking - how can breakfast cost more than $50??? Well, appparently you've never been to the Montage. I had coffee and oatmeal. My friend had coffee, eggs and a side of bacon. With tip (which is automatically added it) - $70. Yes, you read that right. $70. The spa was really world class - and the service in the spa was beyond exceptional. But I have never spent $360 (including the 20% tip they add in) for a 2 hour massage - not in Vail, not in Aspen, not in NY. How they get away with these prices is really a mystery to me. I hear that the Four Seasons just north of San Diego is just as good. And I never thought I'd stay anywhere that is twice as expensive as a Four Seasons. But then again, this was my first and only stay at the Montage. If you want loads of LA attitude with the prices to match, but all means book the Montage.

• Liked — the bed and the ocean view
  • Disliked — the bugs, the attitude of the staff, the prices!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
9 Thank JudyColo
North Benton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

A beautiful hotel & great service. Great rooms, great linens, great amenities, great food ( pricey but great), and great facilities. Our first room was on the third floor right next to the casual restaurant. All we heard when we sat outside was the banging & clanging of the silverware on the plates. Not good for $ 750+ per night. We came to relax and hear the ocean. We asked for another room & it was behind a few roofs with not much of a view....but the room was nice. We called right away to the front desk. After some prodding, they found a room that was perfect for us. We enjoyed the rest of our stay.

We cannot wait to return.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jwilsonssandg
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2006

No need to repeat the reviews posted below, for the most part they seem to be everything I would agree with, but I can add I few thoughts not expressed. Hope this helps you get a feel for the Montage. It is expensive, there is no way around it, so you want to know, is it worth it?

The staff is without question some of the best you will find worldwide. Period. This would only be a negative experience if you would like to slip in undiscovered, and be alone without anyone pampering you. The staff will be very present and will call you by your name. If you like to be treated special, go here...if a resort where the staff is constantly trying to please you isn't what your looking for, avoid it. However, I did not find it snobby, (I feel uncomfortable at snobby hotels, feeling that I don't measure up) pull up in jeans with kids and you will receive the same attention as other guests.

The pool is very lovely, but steps away on one of the most beautiful hotel pathways I've walked, is a beach that takes your breath away. The water is constantly in motion, big, beautiful waves crashing against the hillside. It is a public beach, so, no Montage staff here. No chairs or food service. But nature at it's ultimate best is here to serve you. If you love beaches for the people at the beach, maybe not, but if you come to see the ocean, this is it.

One final note. Although I may have at one time in my life enjoyed the idea of standing in an crowed elevator wearing my swimsuit and cover up, sharing the elevator with what seemed to be 20 business men in ties and jackets, this was very humbling and depressing for me now. Well into my midlife and four children later, I felt uneasy, as if I was staying at a large 'for men only' business hotel. I dreaded walking around in my suit with men young and old at every turn. I couldn't help but want to somehow climb over the railing of my room rather than take the only door available from the hotel to the outside!! Such a mistake on the hotels part to not seperate families or vacationing couples, from massive business meeting events. (That being said, if your young and single and still look like a barbie doll, this would be a great spot!)

I think the Montage is a great hotel, it may not be a destination place, but more of a 'stop by and stay a few days' place.

• Liked — The public beach
  • Disliked — The business meeting going on at the same time as our vacation
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay for a few days, not a destination resort
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lov2vacationl