“Dissappointed”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Dissappointed”
Reviewed December 4, 2004

I have been traveling to Laguna Beach every year for the past two decades. We have stayed at various places throughout the city but never had the dissappointment of this trip.

The Hotel neighbors Aliso Creek which apparently is the sewer outlet for several inland cities. We learned this because it would begin to smell like feces in our room in the evenings as it wafted our way from the creek.

Residents in the surounding neighborhood are obviously unhappy with the Resort and they're snearing hostility is unpleasant to encounter.

When walking on the beach I noticed several homeless people sleeping about which made me nervous to walk around the grounds without an escort.

I wouldn't stay there again

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed November 25, 2004

We stayed for 3 nights in their Ocean Surf room. The room was well appointed and the room was breathtaking. We had a full ocean view and could hear the sounds of the ocean from our room. From the moment we drove up to the lobby the service was impeccable. Although our stay was short, the staff was soon addressing us by name and constantly thanking us for our patronage. All housekeeping requests were answered promptly and correctly. I really don't understand the mediocre and poor reviews. Perhaps standards are too high?

Definitely will be back.

1 Thank dkshum
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 25, 2004

I have been to resorts and hotels all over the world and consider myself to be very critical of services, amenities and room configurations of the best hotels. The Montage all though very expensive has everything one could ever want in a hotel. The views, the rooms, the amenites are as good as it gets when you are afterall away from home. The staff of the entire resort exude courtesy and offer you anything within the power they are given. It is a truly remarkable hotel and rates in my book with the Belagio Villas. I look forward to returning again very soon.

OC, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2004

I expected this resort to top St. Regis in Monarch Beach, CA, but not the case. Nice Lobby, nice views, lovely grounds. But..... if you are trying to get to your bungalow or room at the end of a wing it is a hassel. The hallways zigzag and we had to take two different elevators to get to our room.
The rooms are ok, but the shower and tub only fits one.

Be sure to call at least 4 days in advance or sweet talk the concierge to getting you a table at their Studio restaurant for dinner. The food is average and expense for what is served. I don't mind shelling out some extra dough for something that is tasty, but the food was bland.

There is a nice trail down to the beach, but don't expect towel or umbrella service like St. Regis. You are on your own. Staff members are not too friendly - I felt like I was on a airliner the whole time.

• Stayed October 2004
3 Thank LeilaniGirl
Reviewed October 14, 2004

My boyfriend whisked me away to the Montage for a suprise second-leg of my birthday party in August. This is one of my favorite hotels! We had a one bedroom ocean bungalow (snuck a peek at the price, 1,800 a day) and it was magnificent! The staff had anticipated our important stay and we had a bottle of Cristal champagne perched on our beautiful bed upon arrival and a gift basket of special beach goodies for me! We had a long relaxing week there at the Montage and it was simply the most relaxing vacay I have ever had! The staff was so fun and kind and attentive! They were very young yes, but very nice and somehow very experienced! I felt comfortable with them being younger though, because I am younger myself. When we were poolside they did everything for us!

We had bruch at The Loft 3 out of the 8 mornings we had in Laguna Beach and the service is unsurpassed!

Also on the last night of our stay (a saturday night) my boyfriend had sat with the some of the staff (he still won't explain exactly) and planned to have a private big band preformance in our suite!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! It was wonderful! Upon returning home to Dallas, Texas, we recieved a letter from the manager thanking us for staying with them! We are going back soon....honeymoon I hope!