“Absolutely Breathtaking”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Montage Resort the week of July 5th, 2004 and had an incredible time. The staff was completely accommodating and there wasn't a single need that wasn't met. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left we were treated with first class service.

Our room had a beautiful ocean view and we were able to see the sunset each evening. The bed was so comfortable, it was hard to get out of it each morning!

The fitness facility was nice, although a bit small. The large glass doors open up to a breathtaking view of the ocean and waves breaking on the rocks it made exercising enjoyable. We also had the pleasure of working out next to Magic Johnson, which was pretty cool. The spa facility is also wonderful and is a MUST.

All in all, we highly recommend the Montage and will be returning. Keep in mind, it is very pricy so be prepared to spend some $$$$$.

• Stayed: July 2004

Reviewed June 29, 2004

Stayed two nights at the Montage in May and it was superb. The room was outstanding as was the service. The room was large, beautifully appointed and luxurious. I have read the complaints of several about indifferent service but we didn't experience it. Studio is no bargain but the food and service were excellent. Compared to many resorts, the Montage isn't privey at all and the faciliites are top shelf. The parking and entrance get a little crowded but there just isn't any space to do anything differently.

we'll be back.

Reviewed May 30, 2004

This place is OK at best. First it’s not exclusive by any means and there are hordes of locals coming in and out of this place. The $1200 suite barely had a view of the ocean. Service at the pool was sub par even with renting a cabana and the beach cabana was even worse. Both times our reservations and orders got lost. Unlike the 4seasons or the Ritz they did not acknowledge my birthday in anyway although they clearly knew about it. The spa was very nice and the service was attentive. The Studio restaurant was very good and they had a great selection of wine including every year of “Opus one” since 79. I expressed some of my concerns to the front desk and they had no response whatsoever. Over all a mediocre experience however the grounds and the location make up for some of it but that alone does not justify the price. Essentially this place is twice as expensive as 4seasons or the Ritz with half the service. I would have expected more seasoned and cultured staff for such a self-proclaimed legend since majority of the staff are high school kids which probably know very little about service at high end resorts. Wasted 6k plus another 1k for various gratuities this weekend and will probably not go back unless the service drastically improves.

5  Thank f360Spyder
Reviewed May 27, 2004

I think the Montage may be a legend in its own mind and some of the employees are mistaking working there with being a guest there. For example, at dinner, when I was aked how I wanted my entree prepared, I said "Well done", The waiter's brief look of disgust was inappropriate and totally unacceptable. I told him that I understood that some people felt that was not the best preparation but I liked it that way. What? I have to explain my preferences? At THOSE prices?

• Stayed: January 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2004

Clearly one of the best resorts in the world. The staff is well trained, personable and displays the most respect for the traveler that I have ever seen. They are sooo gracious. The restaurants are out of this world. Try the Mosaic for interesting sandwiches and salads and Studio for a romantic evening. The best is The Loft. Great food and the most well trained servers anywhere. I loved it.
We stayed over Mothers day weekend and have already planned our next trip in August.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 3, 2004

The Montage is beautiful there is no doubt however the staff needs to take some lessons from whoever trains the staff at the Rtiz Carlton. When I first stepped up to the front desk, there was someone there already complaing. The lobby was overflowing with people and the driveway was a mess with people and cars. It just was very disorganized. The tables in the lobby bar were dirty and they do not have menus on them at all, where as at the Ritz, the menus are displayed and they serve food as well.
Great beach and grounds though.
Too crowded with visitors not just guests.

6  Thank miabellina1967
Southfield, MI
Reviewed April 18, 2004

This is one of the best resorts in America.
The view is breathtaking, the ambience relaxing. I highly recommend it
for a romantic weekend with your wife ... or even short vacation with
the entire family.
The staff is courteous and helpful, ever mindful of our comfort and enjoyment.
The only drawback is the price. It's not cheap. But, if you have the time and money, it's a wonderful place to spend a few days. We were there in early April.
Whenever we return to Southern California, the Montage will be our home.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#2 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!