“A class act all around...”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My family and I traveled to this beautifully appointed hotel to relax with our 2 daughters during their Easter Break. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome and we were amazed with every aspect of this fantastically well run hotel. During our week long stay we got to know all of the staff and everyone was so helpful and friendly. I have traveled to many 5 star hotels before but I have rarely experienced what the 'Montage' has to offer by being able to blend classy accommodations, fine dining, incredible views with a constituency in superior and warm customer service from all of the employees.The lobby lounge (what a view!) with their talented entertainers and bartenders were such a joy and when our eldest daughter turned 13 the entire resort staff made her day feel very special!
A sunset dinner with the amazing team at 'Studio' is a must!
A big thank you to all at the Montage, we were sad to say goodbye!

Room Tip: We loved our 'Surf' with crashing waves to listen to!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Montage Laguna Beach

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I had an unbelievably great experience at The Montage Laguna Beach. We have been very fortunate to stay at some five star resorts and hotels but this one is off the charts. Why? Attention to detail, over the top friendly service, quality of food, clean luxurious rooms and a perfect view of the ocean.

Everyone was friendly but those that really stood out included, Lyndsay, Gary, Daniel and Chrissy.

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean front.
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were recently in the area for a family get-together and decided to extend our California vacation. We stayed at the Montage for 3 nights. It was quite expensive but definitely worth every penny. The grounds are immaculate, the food incredible and the staff hospitable. We were travelling with our 16 month old son and the staff was very accommodating. We requested a fridge upon our arrival for our son's food and it was delivered within minutes. We had also requested a playpen and it was waiting in our room when we arrived.

The pool was nice and warm even on cooler evenings. The walk way in the back of the hotel is BEAUTIFUL - day or night. We loved going back to the firepit and admiring the property. The beach off the walkway was private and peaceful. At the hotel, we had breakfast and dinner at the Loft - and each meal was delicious and had a lot of kid-friendly options.

We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Call in ahead of time and request a room with Ocean view. If you have an AMEX Platinum, there are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The pluses are the beautiful grounds and the staff are nice. The cons are the prices seem high for what you receive. We were offered an early check-in when booking - which I appreciated the offer! However upon arriving we were told the room was not ready (hey, didn't you offer?) and that they are not allowed to give an estimate of when your room will be ready. Well, can you ballpark should I plan an hour or say 3 hours? Again, they are not allowed to tell you. We then were going to just grab clothes from our luggage and hit the beach - that began a dialogue and phone calls to arrange for us to change in the spa as they did not seem to want us to change in their bathroom off the lobby (I don't know why, it is lovely). We just gave up and decided to head to the beach wearing our travel clothes. Additionally, I had been given a gift card to the Montage - which is why I came there in the first place - and the front desk girl although nice seemed baffled by it. First she told me that I shouldn't have given it to her until checkout (how would I know that) and then had to get help to even deal with it - which just prolonged our somewhat already painful check in. She then asked if I knew how much the card was for - uh - yes but don't you know? Hey let's just spend minutes discussing the amounts in front of my guest. It just lacks finesse and training. Don't sell gift cards if you cannot deal with them. After 2 hours our room was ready and we were guided to it. I had paid for a premium surf room - and although the view is lovely it is so removed from the ocean as to not be worth any premium or at least not much of one in my opinion (I think an extra $200 a night). Surf and Sand will give you a literally hanging over the ocean view at less cost with a larger room and a roaring ocean experience. In the future, I will go back there. I suppose if you just want a spa experience this is hotel - but we were there for a romantic birthday weekend. As I said, the plus is the room was clean and quiet but the view beyond distant. Maybe if you can get the far south rooms you would get a better ocean experience. When checking out had the nicest front desk person but the bill was messed up overcharging me by $1000. She quickly fixed it and was very discreet about the numbers unlike check in where the less experienced staff was overwhelmed and lacked a quiet ability to discuss money. But still, it was amazing to have that large an error with no one catching it but me. Again, it seemed the gift card was the culprit. Maybe they shouldn't sell the dang things since they cannot seem to conquer them. The valets were so nice and wonderfully trained - no issues there. The lobby is lovely as are the grounds if you don't mind the hike to get to your ocean. I guess I would say not the best value - pretty but overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for as far south as you can get if you want an ocean view - 4th floor - and really ask about the...
5  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We loved staying here - the service is outstanding, no wish went ungranted! We loved our beautiful ocean view room, it was spotless and kept the same during our stay. There are so many places to relax here from the Lobby Lounge, to the beach below, to the beautiful grounds, to the chairs poolside (yes, I would like a drink!), to our balcony enjoying the gorgeous view. When we went into town, we couldn't wait to get back to the hotel.

The price tag was high but we were there for a special occasion and felt it was worth it. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an ocean view room, but not ground floor - so worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

We sincerely appreciate your praise and thank you for choosing to be our guests at Montage Laguna Beach. We hope to be a part of your fond memories in the years to come.

Best,

Todd Orlich

Reviewed April 16, 2014

The few nights I stayed were like a week. The hotel is situated on a cliff which makes great views. Lobby is outstanding. Rooms are great too. Hot water was sometimes hard to get but kudos to the shower having a mirror! I have one at home and can't understand why more high end properties do not. The staff were best in class. Always used your name and were happy! That does not happen at many places and it was a theme across the property. Nice job! Overall, I would say this was one of the best resorts I have stayed in. Beach access was easy with a Montage spot and the pool was very warm. Can't ask for more!

Room Tip: Beach front. There is a good breeze and it makes the room cooled. Only used AC during the day.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

First class at it's best. The employees are well trained and display exceptional service. Rooms are great along with the property being well kept up. The only thing is the shower wouldn't get hot sometimes throughout the day, I would suggest be cause of heavy usage. Would look forward to going back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#4 of 18 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!