“Another perfect vacation”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
new york
“Another perfect vacation”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I keep returning to this beautiful hotel (5th time) because not only is it physically magnificent but the service matches the location. We come here from New York and have never been disappointed that we made the trip in search of relaxation. When we arrived we were disappointed that the room that we were assigned was not the same accommodation
as previous visits. The hotel has a first rate manager in Milos. The hotel was sold out but as soon as the room became available Milos made sure we were moved !
Unlike many hotels which over time may decline in service, this hotel has managed to not only maintain but improve on what I thought was perfection !
Once again we plan return to the Montage

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kag1889
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your continued patronage and positive feedback. I regret to learn that your preferred room was not initially available, and am glad to find out that Milos was a tremendous resource in ensuring you experienced another pleasant trip.

Gratefully,

Todd Orlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was fortunate enough to stay here twice over the past month for group events. The food, rooms, and grounds are all first class. The employees are trained very well. After checking out, I received a phone message from Montage Security that I'd left some sandals on the balcony. They stored them for me and delivered them to my room when I checked in two-weeks later. I can't think of any other hotel that would do that.

I hope to have the opportunity to return soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jpatrickfamily
Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Montage-Laguna Beach twice, most recently at the beginning of April 2014. Montage knows how to do service! Every person, from the room attendant, restaurant manager, valet staff, and wait staff was friendly, polite, super helpful, and excellent at the service they performed! That takes a lot of training, coaching, & good management to achieve.

The property is thoughtfully designed and situated with sunny south to southwestern views of the Pacific. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is evident in the design and construction of the buildings. I have dined in the casual Mosaic restaurant outside by the pool and at the Loft located on a higher level floor with incredible views. The food and service this past visit were superb as they were before. I want to go back for a meal at the intimate Studio restaurant that is situated oceanside with gas lanterns.

The workout room/spa area is large and has every amenity you could think of: spa pool, steam room, sauna, outdoor lap pool, outdoor spa, yoga studio, and a workout room with the latest equipment.

The most amazing thing to me is the public park along the front of the property. It looks to be designed and maintained by Montage. There are green lawns where yoga is taught early mornings, benches for sitting and admiring the views, stairs and ramps down to isolated beaches, showers for rinsing off, and clean public restrooms. Gardeners were out daily when I was there, maintaining the many flowering tropical plants. And there is an irrigation system to keep it all looking lush. There must be some kind of public/private partnership for the park. Either way, my favorite thing each morning was to grab a complimentary coffee and walk the length of the park and one of the beaches.

I have two suggestions for the resort: 1) install Bose (or similar quality) clock/radio/alarms with iPod/iPhone/smart whatever docks to play your own music in the room. I could only get the current clock/alarm to play my music when the alarm goes off. 2) Let guests using the any of the workout facilities use all the amenities of the spa. Current policy requires guests to book a spa treatment to use the amenities. I understand the reasoning, including financial, but the facilities are amazing and underutilized while I was there.

Room Tip: The further out on the front wings of the resort, the closer you get to the ocean. While all rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JRCII
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are elated to learn that you enjoyed our resort property as well as the service. We appreciate your suggestions as we are continuously seeking ways to evolve.

Kind regards,

cHICAGO
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a true 5 Star hotel with the service and amenities one would expect. The entire visit was most enjoyable for the entire family including our two daughters aged 12 & 5. Service is the key tied to appropriate amenities, food and setting for a most wonderful experience.

The exercise room is amazing with a view that will become the benchmark for any club/fitness facility of any hotel worldwide.

Yes, it is not inexpensive but then add up all the extras at say a Hyatt Huntington Beach and there is no comparison.

Our family loved it and will most definitely return!

Room Tip: Room with a view is always prefered,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Las Vegas
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This used to be a mobile home park according to the locals. I can't imagine the war that must have gone on to get this property. It is in an excellent location with a stop light all its own. On the other side of the street there is a Z-Pizza and drugstore. It is located in a not-too-busy location, but it is still nice to have a stop light so you can remember where it is.

The facility is clearly 5-star in every way, including price. You should expect that given what is offered, including someone at the front desk walking you to your room (and not the bellhop). I don't they would know how to say no, as service was first rate. The rooms were adequately large (we stayed in the standard two queens room). Bathrooms were large. We had enough room to use a blow-up mattress for a 12 year old.

The kids loved the many options of beach and swimming pool. It has an adult vibe to it, but is not offensive to children -- they just need to behave a bit and everyone is happy. My kids adjusted without any lectures on what to do and not do. The other guests who frequent this place would likely have no problem dressing a kid down who is out of control, so don't expect the other guests to adjust around unruly kids. A lot of "A-type" personalities looking to have a relaxing time. I was hoping my kids wouldn't step over the line and they didn't -- hence, a sigh of relief and we had a great time.

We ate at one of the restaurants and families need to be warned. We have three kids and had appetizers, entrees and dessert. We don't drink, so we just had sparkling water and soft drinks. The price tag was $350.00. Sadly, the food was reasonably good, but the food WAS NOT at this level. I'd say the presentation was good, and the service exceptional, but the actual FOOD was about at 7.5 out of 10. That certainly doesn't justify that price. It was about $100.00 more simply for location and I'm never thrilled about paying too much for something under-delivered in terms of quality. Someone having a drink with their meal would have been into the $450's and that is just not a good value. In fact, it is a terrible value. I'd say along the lines of a typical timeshare cuisine and I was expecting more.

On a side note, remember to bring some dressy-casual clothing. My son failed to pack appropriately and we had to buy some clothes for him for dinner. Everyone else was thinking ahead, but he didn't. Shorts and sandals will not work for these restaurants. There is a fine dining restaurant there as well, but we didn't eat there.

The valet was very nice and bags were delivered perfectly. Certainly worth the tips.

The room we had was with an ocean view. Very quiet and very nice. It had a small balcony. The balconies lacked 100% privacy, but enough to lounge around on with normal beach clothing. I would recommend the ocean view rooms, but they are popular, so reserve early.

Room Tip: Remember to bring some nice clothing for dinner, but you need to be mindful of the expense of the me...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Every need is fulfilled , many before I could ask. Yes... The Montage was the perfect place to celebrate our anniversary! The moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and warm welcomes. The staff makes you feel like they actually enjoy what they do!
The front desk was so helpful and I felt we had come into a friends home. They escorted us to an awesome room overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean and I kept thinking... It doesn't get any better ! Then we sat on our balcony and enjoyed the best chocolate covered strawberries and cold champagne. Yes this IS the good life!

Wonderful concierge Christy made sure that our dinner at the Loft was perfect even for someone with discerning tastes! She wAs so helpful with every question and direction and helped us relax and enjoy our time to the fullest!

As we relaxed by the pool Devon and Kenny made sure we had cool drinks and complimentary ice water! The margaritas were awesome! Make sure you make time to walk down to the beach tho.. It is beautiful!

I feel the property is beautiful and amenities exceptional, however what made it for us was the warmth and friendliness of the staff, the knowledge and caring attitude that each and every one of them exhibited at all times.

We have stayed in many top notched hotels around the world, and Montage is well worth the experience!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Perfect in every way. We had two connecting rooms with a beautiful view of the Pacific and the gorgeous hotel pool. The service is excellent and accommodating. The rooms are so pretty and comfortable. My kids who have been to many excellent hotels were blown away. The hotel gym overlooks the water and is so nice it made us all want to go work out twice a day! The first night we were there, there was a private function at the restaurant down by the pool. At some hotels that could have been a bit of a drag, but they had an excellent musician and we sat on our balcony and listened and were disappointed when it was over. We decided it was too pretty to leave the hotel so we ate at The Loft and had a great meal. Breakfast was also outstanding. We wished we had chosen to stay longer and next time we will!

Room Tip: Splurge for the room with a view. It is so worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jkbmb
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Your heartwarming sentiments have been shared with the team who are eager to welcome you back for another memorable getaway. Thank you for your praise. We go great lengths to please our guests and positive feedback is truly the best reward we could ask for.

Warm regards,

The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!