“Almost a perfect 10”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is my second time staying at this property and they continue to offer excellent service, pristine accommodations, and a wonderful staff. The only problem was we stayed in a suite on the first level at the bungalows side and there was a family with kids above us which were very loud. The kids jumped and ran from one end f the room to the other, which impeded in our R&R. We were going to call management but since we were unpacked and settled in, we decided there was probably nothing they can do. So I highly advice to check who your neighbors are if you're staying on the lower levels. If you're going to spend over $1000 a night, it's pretty ridiculous someone is running a jungle gym above you.

With that said, the resort is absolutely gorgeous! Take advantage of the beach access and the walkway to see the beautiful coastal homes and to gain access to the PCH; where you can walk across for a supermarket run, Starbucks, or a quick bite other than what the resort offers.

You can also catch a free shuttle to downtown Laguna. It's about 2 miles away and you don't have to worry about parking or traffic. It runs about every 15 mins or so.

In the resort, I took advantage of the fitness room and classes. The fitness room faces the ocean and it has a private adult pool. They offer classes and activities throughout the day. I took a Barre class with Lisa and she was great! Very helpful in targeting my fitness weakness and made it fun. I wish I was staying longer so I could take her other classes. Let's just say I felt results the very next day.

I highly recommend a night cap at their lobby bar. Nightly live music and a chill atmosphere seals the deal for a perfect vacay day.

Again, no complaints here except for the guests but I suppose you can't control that. Otherwise it would of been a perfect 10

Room Tip: Stay higher floors or find out if guests around you have a dog or small uncontrollable children
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,384)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Excellent in all areas. The service is wonderful - the staff is friendly, gracious and always helpful. The grounds are gorgeous and the atmosphere is relaxing. There are spotlights that shine out into the ocean and we went and sat on a bench late every evening to watch the ocean waves. It was so peaceful! We will be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy C
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just got back from a wedding at the Montage. The day we arrived we pulled up to the valet and it seemed like the entire hotel staff was there to greet us. Everyone was there to serve. Our room was simple luxury.

The wedding rehearsal was on the manicured lawn that was better kept than a golf course. The views were spectacular. The wedding planner was actually the only person we encountered the entire time that was unpleasant.

The wedding itself was right out of a movie. The weather was perfect, the setting was perfect and went off perfectly.

The food at the receptions was really good, but admittedly, the ballroom was just like every other ballroom in most nice hotels. All in all, the hotel was fabulous. Whether getting married or just for vacation, the Montage was awesome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Traveling with my husband during the Fourth of July holiday I was nervous that the resort would be over run with little ones-as per many prior reviews. Don't get me wrong, I live kids, just looking for rest and relaxation and no drama or stress this vacation. Well, we got it. And then some. We booked a spa appointment each day so that we were able to use the spa pool. Didn't even attempt to sit at the regular pool. Got up early to reserve two chairs. Once that was done, the pool experience was most enjoyable. I have to imagine that the chairs around the pool are more available on a non holiday weekend. Anyway, the view was spectacular. The service is truly outstanding. The servers anticipate your every need and wish. During the day, the servers come around offering little tastes of certain things- nuts, fruit, smoothie- served in little cups - always seemed that it was just what you wanred at the moment. The service was uber attentive, but youthful in its delivery, not at all stuffy. The severs were responded like a well choreographed team. Oh yeah, loved everything else about the hotel too. A must stay

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the ritz carlton which was also fab but very busy and very catered for conferences and we wanted something a bit more beachy and intimate so we moved to this hotel.
Great for couples
I think the ritz is more for families with you get kids

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank starandree
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to the Montage. I'm going to start with my complaint because it is the ONLY complaint I have which is why I gave it 4 stars not 5. There needs to be a section (far) away from the adults for the kids. There is a kids pool, but they are also allowed in the big pool. Or else I suggest no kids under 16 at all. This is not a place for kids. I am not there to hear loud noises and kids splashing at the pool while I'm relaxing and getting away from my kids, KWIM??? And I am not there to share the hot tub with the kids club kids. OK complaint over.
Now the fabulous stuff, because it is ALL fabulous! From the minute you come into the property all of the luxurious cars (and our rented BMW was the lower end of the cars spectrum) were lined up in the circle in from. The "boys" open the door for you ask you your name and quickly call over to the front desk on their earpiece. This trip our room wasn't ready so they gave us a pool entrance key and went to the pool until it was. Glad we waited. Last time we were on the 2nd floor with an OK view. This time we were on the 4th floor with a much better view (see photo). They brought our luggage and THEN a bottle of Champaign. (all "included", lol). I love all the little things. When you walk through the property they are always touching up, painting, cleaning the grounds etc... but you never feel like the maintenance people are on top of you. When you walk by them, they step aside put their tools behind them and smile/greet you. At the pool the staff runs, yes runs, to get you set up and settled. Towels, water, sun lotion, food and umbrella... I felt like a movie star. We had a $50 breakfast credit, which doesn't cover it for 2 people. Breakfast was around $70-ish. We made our own omelets and also made our own Benedict's. Ingredients are nothing but the best. Portions are full and filling! We took a "free" (remember it's all "included, lol), exercise class. The instructor was a bit arrogant, but it was a good core class. He called it high intensity, I didn't. What else can I say? Oh, walk the grounds and the beach to see the amazing views. All in all we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The most amazing hotel you will ever visit. The food, the staff and service, location , rooms, views . There are not enough words about how amazing this hotel is. The best location in Laguna Beach. Situated right on a cliff over looking the beach . Five Star first class all the way.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank AP411
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I am pleased that your visit was so memorable and that the spectacular setting left a lasting impression. We value your comments and praise!

Todd Orlich

#4 of 23 in Laguna Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!