“Beautiful views of the Pacific”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
“Beautiful views of the Pacific”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We loved this hotel. The view from our room was unsurpassed. Pelicans flew by overhead every few minutes. Nice walking trail on cliffs along the ocean. Remote location where you really need a car to leave the property. Valet can be slow on weekends during wedding season. Restaurants are very expensive.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013

What can I say? I love this resort. We visit at every opportunity to celebrate something (we can get very creative in finding something to celebrate!) Elegant, homey, and with the best ocean views. Excellent service. We arrived in our room to find a split of champagne for my husband's birthday. A piece of birthday cake was delivered later and when it was discovered we had finished the champagne, we were given more. The ice bucket was kept replenished. One small slip-up -- turn down service replenished the ice but took our champagne flutes! When I called housekeeping, they asked if I would like more champagne glasses (really, no -- a paper bag for the bottle and two straws, please). But if lack of champagne glasses is my biggest problem, life is grand!

Room Tip: For the best ocean views (and sounds of surf), room 571, 281 or rooms in that wing. Don't take...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate S
LA area
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just spent 2 days at this resort. It is beautiful and every attention to detail is not missed. The poolside service is one of the best we've experienced. Meals arrive in "minutes" not "hours". Staff overheard me mentioning needing an iced tea and brought it without my asking.

They promptly notified us of a minor incident with our car (the valet accidentally bumped into another car with our car while parking). Minor scratch. The car was buffed and polished and ready the next day. Scratch removed, no cost or inconvenience to us. It was handled quickly and efficiently. The head of security personally (Carlos) handled it. He does his job very well.

We had a king size bed and 2 roll aways for the kids. The room was big enough for all of us without feeling cramped. Turn down service with bottled water and chocolates every night.
We also had an "apology note about the car" with a bottle of wine, fruit and apple cider for the kids one night. The next night, a bottle of champagne.

The location of this hotel is perfect. Sits up on a cliff with unsurpassed views of the ocean. Beach down below for hotel guests.

Food is very expensive. $15 for a margarita. $32 for a poolside sandwich. But this is a luxury resort. We ate dinner off property so can't comment on fine dining. Restaurant overlooks the ocean however, for beautiful views.

There is a kids club called Paintbox. We did not use it. It looked like it would be perfect for the younger kids --ages 3-8. My kids were 9 and 11 and just preferred the pool and beach.

Pets are welcome here too.
Rooms are quiet. Did not hear neighbors.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool and ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank petesmom1
Woodland Park, Colorado
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Gorgeous resort and rooms. Each of their rooms has a nice patio/balcony and a view of the ocean. Rooms were beautifully decorated. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The food was fabulous. The staff was friendly and helpful. Turn down service each night with chocolate truffles and bottled water. We even reserved a Mercedes convertible for a day (free of charge) and spent the day roaming the Pacific Coast Highway. Very, very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrie S
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Gorgeous setting and fantastic service made this an outstanding girlfriend weekend. One of the best massages I have ever had. Took the Yoga Dance class with Beth which was great fun and very challenging. Food is good but overpriced even by luxury hotel standards. That being said if you want to have a special time thus is the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meg M
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am hesitant to write a negative review. Check out my past reviews. Any place can have an off day. However, when you sense something symptomatic, that is different.
The Montage is on a spectacular piece of property. The staff appears personable and accommodating. However, they are being coached to be lovely and apologetic if necessary, but they are forgetting the guest. When you are paying the kind of prices they command, apologies should be rare.
I will not get into details, but I had an experience that that should have had them horrified and eager to make me happy. They did not. Young apologies are not enough. Someone tougher than me would have hired a lawyer. Stay at Pelican Hill.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank 360LuLu
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I have sent you a private message with my contact information. I hope to find out more information about your visit so I can follow up with our team. I deeply regret that your experience was lacking and it is our sincere desire to make this up to you. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Todd Orlich
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This certainly is not a budget place and then expectations may vary. I however took advantage of a holiday and convention package and thus, got a very good price. Rooms are really good! Not only designed and decorated with impeccable good taste but also shine as new. I also used the pools and SPA, both very high end as you can expect from a place like this. Finally, Laguna Beach area is a paradise. Not only for the magnificent beaches but also the restaurants and clubs. For those lucky souls that have the chance to go, is highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms fantastic, even those without a view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!