“Nicely located”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nicely located”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you want be close to a spectacular ocoean panorma that's the place. With a bit of luck (or money) you might get a ocean front room. The prices seems a bit more expansive as other 5 star hotels and if the lunch terrace would be located at the dining room restaurant you would certainly feel like heaven.

Room Tip: Try to book rooms to the ocean side on a higher level and not in the corner at the ground...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Montage is a great resort hotel.

Its perfectly sited at the waters edge in Laguna Beach, and the whole focus of the place is toward experiencing the location - the hotel hugs a hill and is built essentially in an arc around the view.
Most rooms offer great views out to the ocean and/or the mountains behind. The air quality is excellent (unlike most of LA) because of its location (right at the waters edge, and shielded by hills behind).

In the classic style of a well located resort, walking into the lobby yields a great 'reveal' view, high over the building below, down across the huge resort pool, out to the clifftop coastal view.

There are genuine swimming beaches accessible right from the hotel, if you get past the pool and spa.

Internal and external architecture is 'Classic California Cabana' style - light cream and grey tones. The place can't avoid the slightly 'disneyland' aspect of the way its been constructed (like most such properties) - but its really done quite well.

The rooms, given the place, aren't bad value - though offset somewhat by impressively expensive drinks and food (and the resort shop, while containing decent stuff, seems to have added an extra digit to the end of many of the prices - but there are *plenty* of other places to shop in the area if that is your desire).

Anyway - the views are stellar, the climate at this time of year (May) is amazing, and you can just leave your balcony door open overnight and enjoy no insects and the sound of the Pacific ocean crashing onto the (tastefully illuminated) rocks just off of the shore, to lull you to sleep.

Great service, amazing location, and extremely easy to leave the rest of the world behind for as long as you're there.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our daughter kept telling us about the Montage always singing its praises as a result we decided to spend a few days at the Montage while we were in California.
This luxury beach resort has a reputation that precedes itself. You could not ask for a better location. This resort is not in a secluded area. There are restaurants, shopping, art galleries and churches all within a mile or two including a super market.
The Montage is a stunning place made even more beautiful by their picturesque landscaping. The grounds are immaculately groomed with beautiful plants and mature flowering trees. Take a walk around the pretty pathways that allow you to stroll leisurely and appreciate the gardens including two palm trees called “Lucy and Desi Trees”.
Our guest room 419 has a wonderful shoreline view, exceptionally spacious lavish bathroom with all the amenities you could want or need.
After a long snowy winter in New England I treated myself to an aromatic Renewal Facial. Audrey, an awesome esthetician, made me completely relaxed especially pampered and my skin was glowing. I was thoroughly impressed with my spa treatment.
In conclusion, as first time guests, all of our expectations were met beyond our imaginations and we left the Montage with many unforgettable experiences. Thank you to the entire staff team for being so attentive and helpful. We had an absolutely fantastic time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jasmine020
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I will be sure to share your sentiments with Audrey in Spa Montage who will be delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your Renewal facial. We sincerely value your comments and praise!

Warm regards,

Todd Orlich
PA
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My 2nd visit here and it again has impressed me. The main ingredient for TS access, apart from the perfect location is the incredibly friendly and attentive staff. I love it here. We had a private barbecue for my son's Graduation and they did a superb job for my family. The restaurants and pool area make this a great destination..

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AussieIan
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Over the top resort. If you want to see what "real" excellent service is like, spend a few days here. The staff is second to none. The resort is beautiful, clean and has stunning views of the pacific. The rooms are spacious and comfortable.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here two nights in May, 2013 for a business conference. As such I paid a deeply discounted rate. I feel like the rate was appropriate. The hotel is lovely, spotless, the service is impeccable. I had some odd dietary restrictions from my doctor this trip... I was concerned that it would be difficult. I just explained to the staff exactly what I needed to eat. Not a problem at all. Granted I paid $12 for two cups of vegetables and $10 for sparkling water... but at least it wasn't stressful.

My room was large and comfortable. I nice separate shower and big tub. Small but comfortable balcony. I had no view without leaning out my window except of a house and very cute poodle.

My only complaint was I could here conversations in the room next door which surprised me. The woman next to me got a phone call at 5:30 am and proceeded with the discussion for some time. I can tell you all about her plans... Once the call ended I was able to fall back to sleep.

I do think the pillow top on my bed needed replacing.. it had two divets where people sleep and a large hump in the middle.I am sure had I requested a change it would have happened immediately, as it was just me, I just settled into one of the divets.

Overall lovely and worth the price I paid. Had I paid the going rate, the rating would be pretty low on the value scale...

Room Tip: Ask for a view... the backside rooms look into a neighborhood.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your compliments of our “spotless” hotel. I am glad you enjoyed yourself and found the service to be impeccable. I have shared your feedback regarding the noise disturbance and bedding with the team. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to amend this on your next visit. I have left you a private message with my contact information and would be happy to assist you in the future.

Warm regards,

Todd Orlich
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is by far one of the most laid back relaxing venues we have traveled to. The grounds are stunning, the rooms are clean, well maintained, comfortable and up to date. The restaurants are superb and the location is perfect for anyone wanting to explore the beach cities south of Los Angeles.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!