“Stunning location.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Laguna Niguel, California
“Stunning location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have not stayed at Montage, only enjoyed the atmosphere by dining there. I don't think a more beautiful beach front location exists! The food was amazing in the The Loft and the views to die for. It is incredibly relaxing. There is also a great place to sit and people watch upstairs (which is actually on the Lobby level). There is a bar and piano and many different locations to sit with a view inside or out here. While it is pricey, I found it worth every penny. Service was impeccable for us as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank keenandressage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A world class combo of place and people, our weekend at the Montage was an extraordinary experience. Classic beach design and elegant comfort abound. The only distraction--valet parking bottlenecks on every arrival.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip, followed by a weekend with my wife. The property is beautiful, the room was just perfect, and service from all staff members was incredible. I would stay here again and again and would highly recommend this hotel for getaways and business events.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Abran V
Elmsford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The two most important aspects of any hotel, to me, are the staff and the facility. Built into a cliff over a beach on the Pacific, this hotel is gorgeous, inviting, exciting, and extremely well taken care-of. The staff is incredibly gracious and welcoming, smiling, helpful, and over the top when it comes to making your stay a great one. It is not inexpensive, but, you are made to feel like this place is a reward for something you did exceedingly well.

The room was spacious, included a (small) balcony overlooking the ocean. All the rooms face the ocean, but the highest floors (four and five) do offer better views of the beach and the water. They offered car service to the "heart" of the downtown, which is walkable (a couple of miles at most). There are several good restaurants in town, which are good alternatives to the "5-star" restaurant (Studio) on the premises (I will post a separate review of that).

All in all, they treat you better than you would even treat yourself!

Room Tip: The top floor (5) is where you come in; the hotel floors go down to lower numbers to the base. Best...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am just concluding my stay for a business conference, and probably couldn't have afforded it otherwise. I can't think of enough superlatives for the staff here. Without being in any way stuffy or snooty, they anticipate your needs and go out of their way to delight. I mentioned to an associate that I had the best steak I'd ever tasted last night from room service (a coffee encrusted strip with some kind of caramel sauce - hard to describe, but amazing), and a worker came over with a gift of the coffee rub to take home. Another guest was getting a sunburn by the pool and inquired about a hat, when someone appeared with a complimentary baseball cap. They provided champagne in the room (on ice, of course) on arrival, bottles of water and chocolates each night, wonderful bathroom amenities, slippers, a beautiful room looking out on the ocean, walking paths with flowers and views of the water. The room was large, well lit and well-appointed, with a nice balcony. Fresh sheets and towels were provided without the irritating request to reuse and save the whales, which, by the way, made an appearance off the beach one night. The restaurants were excellent, but the prices as out of this world as the service. Of course, vacationing clientele at "normal" rates might not care. Room service was superb. If you can afford it, definitely put this place on your list! I have to make a special mention of "Jamie" from the Studio Restaurant. She was just getting off work when she saw I was lost trying to find my room. (In my defense, I woke in NY at 4 am to travel and it was 10:30 pm California time, the lobby is up and the rooms down, and only the third elevator bank goes to my room) She spent considerable time getting me to my room safe and sound and was as pleasant as could be about the whole thing. Now, that's service!

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the lowest level and the ocean view is blocked by the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I love this hotel! I was going for business but decided to extend my stay with my fiance. This is probably my favorite hotel that I have ever visited.

The grounds, room, pool, restaurants and service are absolutely impeccable. The views of the ocean and beach are stunning as well.

The Montage is a wonderful place to go to relax and unwind and to take in the beauty of Southern California! I can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I live in San Diego, and drove up to Laguna to stay for the weekend at Montage. A lot of our friends do this frequently & enjoy it - plus we had stayed at their property in Deer Valley last year and enjoyed our time. We travel internationally, and stay exclusively at five star resorts & hotels. The Montage is really lovely. The rooms are well-appointed, well thought out and have the luxurious yet relaxed beach & seaside feel of coastal So Cal. The staff are lovely, helpful and very well trained in terms of seamlessness from valet, to check-in, to walking us to our room and showing us the property. The views, as you might imagine are gorgeous and the property is meticulously maintained. The restaurant choices are fairly limited, but you CAN drive into town if you wish - it's not that far. We had dinner at their fine-dining restaurant, which is French and was enjoyable. I will say that for us, although it was nice - it seemed to be a touch stuffy and older, versus upscale & chic. But still, they did a very nice job with it. It's simply a matter of preference.

Two constructive critiques: 1) I believe there are only (2) pools, and the (1) pool is actually delegated to the Spa - and you may only use that pool if you have a spa appointment. They don't offer an option for a guest to pay a day-fee to use the spa facilities & pool - which many resorts will do, and we would have happily taken advantage of. We simply weren't in the mood for treatments - which meant that we had to use the common pool...... 2) The common pool, literally - looked like a packed Marriott at spring break. Not the pool of a luxury resort. The kids. Good god. It was literally SWARMING with kids sprinting around the pool yelling for french fries, doing belly flops and cannon balls into the water, chucking frisbees and rubber balls across the pool - so god help you if you actually wanted to relax & enjoy yourself, or use the pool yourself. THAT was particularly annoying - and shocking, if I'm being honest. Really, there should be another option for adults that don't want to spend their time listening to screaming kids. Please - at least offer an option of a day-fee for adults to use the spa pool, if you are unable to put in a 3rd pool for adults only.

Fortunately for us, we are locals and this was just a nice get-away - so it certainly didn't ruin our stay, and everything else was so very enjoyable that we will of course be back. Overall, a truly lovely job!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spelly1
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
I have communicated your praise and sentiments with our team who were pleased to assist you. I’m glad that you enjoyed your visit, but sincerely regret that your time at Mosaic pool was less than relaxing. I hope you will allow us to make this up to you. Please refer to the private message I sent you with my contact information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

The Ranch at Laguna Beach
The Ranch at Laguna Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 227 reviews

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!