“Not quite there, but mighty close”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
San Francisco, California
“Not quite there, but mighty close”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Montage is a super luxury hotel with prices to match. The staff is incredibly well trained. If you ask directions, they personally escort you, no matter what else they are trying to do. The views are lovely, and the common areas take maximum advantage of them. Coffee on the observation deck off the main lobby is a perfect respite. However, they don't quite get it right. The main dining room staff interrupts your conversation to see if you like the food. Not just once, but over and over. The attentiveness is nice, but they miss the point of private conversation over a fine meal. At $100 per person without any alcohol, they should be better. While we stayed, the hotel was remodeling some rooms. Even though it was not full, we were put next to a room under construction. Hammering and sawing at 9 am on a Sunday morning was not what we expected. Why put guests next to construction when plenty of other rooms are available? All in all though, this is a top notch place, if you can afford a very steep tariff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Your comments regarding noise disturbance and service inconsistency are extremely disconcerting. I will follow up with the team immediately to address the issues you outlined. Please respond to the private message I sent you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Todd Orlich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pacific Palisades, California, United States
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I just stayed at the Montage, Laguna Beach, and based off that stay, I can’t recommend the hotel to my friends or family. This trip was not only a celebration for my wife’s birthday, but our first getaway from the kids in over a year. I had hoped that the Montage’s reputation for being a solid upscale destination would make the stay a guaranteed win, but unfortunately the trip fell flat.

Here was our experience.

My wife and I, after having our second child, wanted to get away for the weekend to celebrate her birthday - our first venture out without our kids in a year - and settled on the Montage, Laguna Beach.

I dropped my wife off at the spa for a facial, then headed back to the room to relax and watch the game - something I don’t get to do at home very often. I got back to the room and the TV set didn’t work. Called the front desk and they sent down maintenance - who proceeded to spend an hour and a half in my room, swapping out the cables, changing the tv, etc. Nothing worked.

I called the front desk again to ask that they fix the TV so my wife and I could, at the very least, watch a movie together after our dinner at their restaurant, The Studio.

After returning to the room that night, the problem still wasn’t solved. We called the front desk again and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

The next morning I spoke with the acting GM on duty and he offered to pay for half of our dinner and my wife’s facial. I explained that it wasn’t about the money, but the experience for my wife and I. This wasn’t an opportunity we had often - we had set up babysitters, used points from Amex Platinum for the stay, and scheduled our in-laws to help out with the family as well. I had hoped they would’ve picked up our entire dinner and her facial, considering my afternoon and our evening was a bust, but the acting GM’s response was literally, “I don’t think it’s fair to offer you more than half your dinner and your wife’s facial because your TV didn’t work.” Obviously he didn’t understand that this wasn’t a complaint about a TV, it was a complaint about the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank MrHooper
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Please reach out to me as soon as possible at the number or email address I left you in a private message. I am at a loss to understand why your TV was not fixed in a timely manner, and resolve to get to the bottom of this issue. Please accept our sincere apologies. We are grateful that you and your wife chose to celebrate such a wonderful occasion at Montage and would like for you to return so we can redefine your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ventura, California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Montage Laguna is the most lovely hotel I've ever seen. It sits atop one of the most beautiful properties in California. There is a lovely walkway down to the beach where we strolled with a drink from the cliffside bar. We enjoyed the view at night by a fire pit on the cliff's edge. The service was amazing, we were greeted and escorted to our room where we were met with a bottl of wine. Our turn down service included foot cream from the spa and everything was exceptional. The bathroom was luxurious and everything we needed was at our fingertips. When we called the concierge for a cab, they let us know they would be happy to take us to our destination in the hotel car. We were driven to and from dinner, a wonderful treat. I couldn't think of a more lovely place to spend a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This one rivals the Montage Beverly Hills which also gets my 5 star vote. The rooms, housekeeping, front desk and other service personnel are top notch and well trained. The food service, including a banquet for our meeting, is also excellent and a step above most high end hotels. The gym overlooks the ocean and is quite complete for a hotel. The only small annoyance is the crowded drop off in front of the hotel. It seems to be backed up all the time. I can't think of a single reason that I wouldn't want to return to this location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I love this hotel. It feels like you are staying at one of those amazing homes in Coastal Living Magazine. The room is stunning beautiful and yet comfy at the same time. Every detail has been carefully though through and made perfect. Beautiful lobby bar to relax and watch the sunset plus their restaurants were incredible. I didn't get the chance to visit the spa but it looked awesome. Really big with a special spa pool. I would absolutely stay here every time I visit Laguna.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your praise of our guest rooms and Lobby Lounge. If you haven’t already, I hope you are able to return soon to our Lobby Lounge and enjoy the winter sunset and seasonal cocktails. We are currently featuring items such as the ‘Italian Snowball,’ complete with Disaronno and steamed milk or a ‘Spiced Maple Pecan,’ combining Woodford Reserve, Graham’s 10 year, and Orange Bitters, garnished with a cinnamon dusted orange slice. We hope to create many more delicious and memorable evenings for you and yours.

Warmly,

Ojai, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times for both business and pleasure and it is consistently one of the finest hotels in Southern California. The service by their staff sets the standard for all other resorts in the area. This, combined with great food at both The Loft and Studio restaurants, make this one of the best. While expensive, it is worth the price!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have never stayed at the hotel because we have a vacation home nearby. But we never miss an opportunity to eat in one of the restaurants or just take a walk along their beach front property. Don't miss it even if you are only driving through.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!