“Best Experience in a Hotel”

Montage Laguna Beach
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Santa Clarita, California, United States
“Best Experience in a Hotel”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed at Montage Laguna Beach over Thanksgiving Holiday and it was truly the best experience we have had at a hotel. We have stayed at very nice hotels throughout the world and I must say that the people here made the biggest difference. Not only is the hotel gorgeous and in a nice location, but the employees provide better service than I've ever seen. Driving toward the hotel, a guy greeted us in the driveway with a smile and asked us our names. By the time we drove to the entry, handful of guys were grabbing our luggage and another guy with a clip board came up to us and walked us to our room. No painful waiting in line at a check-in counter. All pleasure no pain. We signed the check-in paper in our room and soon thereafter our bags arrived. What a unique way to do things. They handed us a bottle of wine. Then a while later they brought us a cheese plate. When we walk down the hallways inside the hotel and the pathways outside each employee will step to the side, put his or her hands behind their backs and greet us. What amazing service.

Room Tip: Beach view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Marino, California
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a wonderful resort. The feel is like a cottage on the east coast! The grounds are gorgeous overlooking the ocean, the food is wonderful and the rooms are just so warm and cozy! Love it!!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Saratoga, California
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The rooms are designed with comfort and elegance in mind, with dark wood furnishings, white crown moldings, shuttered doors, stylish light fixtures, soft sand color schemes, and authentic artwork by noted California artists. I can’t tell you how excited I was to see the marbled bathroom with it’s large soaking tub, readily equipped with candles and lavish bath amenities. Our room had a private oceanfront balcony and a spectacular view of the Laguna Beach coastline where we took the opportunity to dine on several occassions during our stay.

For a full review of this property, check out my blog with pics at http://alturl.com/tadhs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crazy-kayaker
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Every room has an ocean view. The service is top notch. The food is AMAZing. The location in Laguna is a weekend dream getaway.

Room Tip: All rooms are great except for the rooms on the bottom and second floor....these rooms barely have a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We celebrated my birthday with an overnight stay... spa, pool dinner...the staff and facilities are first class. The spa manager was very helpful and thoughtful.. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This was our second trip to Montage, Laguna Beach and honestly I enjoyed this outing even more than the first time around.

First things first: we were met at the door with a big basket of toys for our dog Charlie, who was staying with us for the first time, as we entered the lobby and it was wonderful surprise.Then again, Montage is what I would call a first class property and just like Disneyland, they tend do things well and get it right the first time.

Our room was a North facing ocean view (that is exactly like the images you seen on Trip Advisor) and as return guests we were given a split of chilled champagne and some little nibbles that were presented beautifully in our entry way.They also put a dog bed and bowls for our dog which helped us allot although we weren't told about those being provided when I asked. The only negative thing I have is say about our room is that while the cheerful California themed decor was very pleasant and reminded me of an upscale beach house, the yellow and white carpeting and upholstery could use a deep cleaning to give it that clean feeling we all love.Then again, with pets staying in the ground floor level rooms (where you are required to stay with pets) trying to keep the light colored fabrics clean and bright would and must be a full time job!

The bathrooms: have carrara marble and are very large with separate water closets for privacy and double sinks + a deep soaking tub that I wouldn't miss relaxing in after stressful day.

The Spa: Montage Spa is and remains my favorite after my last and previous visits. My only regret is not having enough time to really relax and enjoy it more than I did. I would plan spending a big chunk of time to just lounge around before and after your appointment and I would not miss spending as much time as possible there! Peggy was my massage therapist and I would highly recommend her.

Tips: Sunset Yoga is free for guests. When booking my spa appointment it said that my massage or facial would include lunch + sunset yoga, which I thought was a deal. It was a deal @219. + tip, but what I didn't realize is that yoga would normally not be extra if you're staying at the hotel.

Walking: this property sits of one of my favorite pieces of land in California and for this reason I always look forward to staying and walking at least twice a day to the beach and on the paths-especially if you're bringing your dog along. Also, there's a big fire pit on the property with a excellent view of the coastline that is very romantic and just a cozy way to end the day, especially during fall evening and nights but bring your sweaters.This coastal area gets foggy and cool most every night. The big beautiful pool that sits in the middle of the property is a stunner and I wish I could have taken some laps in it before leaving, but we were just too rushed to take full advantage of everything we could have but that doesn't mean you have to miss it.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: All the rooms here should be great and have some kind of an ocean view, but sign up for the latest d...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Montage to celebrate our three year anniversary. My husband booked an ocean view room and informed the hotel the reason for our stay. We live locally and wanted to do something different. We have a 10 month old baby and it was our first night away from her, so we wanted to stay close enough to grandma's house, just in case there was a problem.

When we were shown our room, we were really disappointed. They were going to put us in a room facing a residential neighborhood where there was construction going on. There was a ocean view but the main focus was on the construction. I thought that was really inconsiderate. I immediately asked for another room. The man who took us to our room offered us other rooms at an additional cost. I thought this was weird because we had booked an ocean view room and it was a monday night. The hotel didn't seem too busy, so I found it surprising that he didn't just offer us a better room. I told him that we wanted a ocean view room without construction.

In the end, we finally got a room with a very nice ocean view. The bed was comfortable and the amenities were luxurious. The only complaint my husband had was that the bathtub only fit one person at a time.

The service was great. We had lunch at the pool and the food was very good. I would recommend this hotel, but I do think it is on the pricey side.

Room Tip: Make sure you request ocean view room that is not facing the residential area.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Montage Laguna Beach, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for your recent visit to Montage Laguna Beach. We appreciate your feedback, and apologize for any issues you encountered. We do not wish for any of our guests to feel dissatisfied.

I regret that you were less than satisfied with your room location; however I am happy that we were able to amend this situation for you. We pride ourselves on providing truly customized service with keen attention to detail, and I apologize that you didn’t experience this upon your arrival. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I’ll send you a private message with my contact information. Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss your experience further.

Todd Orlich
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#7 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Montage Laguna Beach? Share your experiences!