“Go for a featured exhibit”
Review of Laguna Art Museum

Laguna Art Museum
Ranked #18 of 75 things to do in Laguna Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Longest established art museum in California.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Laguna Art Museum is small and has limited space to devote to their collection. I visited the museum in March 2013 to see the photography of Hollywood stars taken by George Hurrell in the 1930s and 40s. The exhibit was well curated and very interesting. There is a little local art there and also some modern art. But I saw what I went to see - and I'd suggest you keep an eye on their exhibit schedule to make the most of your visit.

There are newer reviews for Laguna Art Museum

Reviewed October 5, 2013

It's a shame that Laguna Beach was the home of really good artists of all type art forms. The museum collection seems sparse and limited considering the town's history. I frankly expected more. Perhaps a new curator of more funding would help.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I expected Cal. coastal scenes; I found a meager selection tacked to an almost hidden wall. One wall was taken up with what could have once been a broken collection blue ceramic plates given away free when you bought gas. One floor was knit, embroidered under water sea scenes...ghastly that any monies crosses hands for this "art"; Picasso is crying in his grave.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We generally like small museums better than large ones and are usually surprised by the quality of exhibits. This was a small museum that allowed us to see everything in about an hour. The only exhibit that really interested us was "Faux Real" with objects that looked three dimensional but were, in fact, only two dimensional- very clever. A cool place to be on a hot day.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have been housesitting in Aliso Viejo for a week, and I was looking for something to do. When I came across the Laguna Art Museum, I didn't know what to expect. The staff was very friendly and answered my 21 questions about the museum. I enjoyed the "Faux Real" exhibit. It is contemporary art taken to a whole different level. The pieces are so unique and I was sincerely impressed by the artistry and the detail. I loved the Blue Wall and the map of Australia and NZ made of SPAM. I had a wonderful chat with Josh about the pieces in the museum. He was very knowledgable and heightened the experience for me.

The size of the museum is very intimate. It enables me to feel connected to the artwork on display. It reminds me of a museum in Cairns, Australia. Despite the size, I was truly lost in each piece and exhibit. The expose: beatriz de costa was so moving and creative. I was trully touched by the "Remembering..." wall. We should never forget the struggle and the battle of the loved ones we lost to cancer. This was a wonderful tribute to Beatriz. However, Sea Change was so fun and creative. I was impressed by the colors and use of multimediums. It reminded me of my experience snorkeling in the Grear Barrier Reef.

Laguna Art Museum is great for all ages. They have really made this musuem fun yet educational. It is clearly a display of wonderful artists and celebrates the beauty of California.