“Location, Location, Location!”
Review of Laguna Shores

Laguna Shores
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Location is huge, both the complex & your unit. I have been a timeshare owner at Laguna Shores for many years and have been visiting Laguna Shores for over 20 years.

The location of the complex is fantastic. Steps away from the ocean. It's only a couple blocks (easy walking distance) to downtown Laguna with lots of restaurants & activities. The staff is great. The place is immaculate. I love it!

Now the negatives - not many. The units are small & the building is old. So if you want something new, large & modern you will not be happy. The units look a bit tired. Everything is exceptionally clean & updated but it is old. I don't see this as a negative, but others might. (Note: A major remodel is in the works for next year that should help.) My only real pet peeve is that some units have great views & some have none. So the challenge is getting a unit with a view. I work this hard and always get a nice unit.

Bottom line - This is a nice place in a great location. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you know where your unit is before you arrive.

Room Tip: Know your Room Location before you go!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FrequentTraveler54
There are newer reviews for Laguna Shores

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have stayed at Laguna Shores many times. This property is in a fantastic location. Heisler Park is right across the street with the most wonderful crooked tree! I had my picture taken there as a child and both my children have had pictures taken there. Laguna beach is a picturesque paradise overlooking the ocean. The office staff was very helpful and pleasan during our stay. They went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. All the units have a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need to cook in and serve your meals if you so desire. Typically we've stayed in a condo at Laguna Shores with large corner windows looking out at the coastline. On our last trip here we booked through another company and was able to stay in the roof top condo (used to be the managers quarters). While the particular until we stayed in during this stay didn't have a view of the beach, it was perfect for our purposes. We simply were looking for a place to sleep.

We had to park our car off property. We were told it would be about a block away, but it was less than that, and a super easy walk. Just across the street and down one building.

There is a nice pool and hot tub to enjoy while staying there.

Taking the trolley around town is nice so you don't have to move your car and pay all the meters. There are several art galleries and shopping to be enjoyed.

Some must eat locations in Laguna beach are: Wahoo's fish tacos!!!!! We ate there almost every day for lunch or dinner. Scandia is a nice little bakery with lots of yummy treats. If you want to hop in the car and drive to Dana Point, you can't go wrong at John's fish and chips.

I hope you enjoy Laguna Shores as much as our family does!

Room Tip: If you are wanting a "view" don't stay in the former manager's unit on the roof.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank momies2boys
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I love staying at Laguna Shores. This property is located across the street from the very popular Heisler Park with its recently re-landscaped grounds and beautiful walkways overlooking the ocean. and offering new access points to the beach. The lobby is cheerful and features a tropical motif which is carried through the room decor. We were warmly greeted and assisted during our one-week stay. The unit had a fully equipped kitchen with everything we needed to cook and serve meals when we chose to eat in. The living/sleeping area of our "single" style unit also had a nice size flat screen tv with DVD and video tape player. Our condo had a "million dollar" view of the Heisler Park, a long sweep of the coastline and the ocean framed beautifully by the park's mature landscaping. We are a family of 2 senior citizens, one with special needs and two adults. There are units in the complex which would be challenging if not impossible for someone with physical challenges to enter so make certain that you discuss this in advance. Taking the charming local trolley, which runs about every 15 minutes in season (confirm this) makes leaving your car in the parking lot a real option. Our unit had a park bench in the front "yard" which replaced the patio chairs and umbrella table which are in front of some of the other units with lesser views. The pool and spa area is well kept and very clean. There is a small community spa to ease tired muscles after a day of sight-seeing. The recreation room offers a fireplace for colder months and big screen tv. The common area has nice barbecue grills which can be used on first come basis and are kept in great condition. One can "borrow" videos tapes, DVD's and games from the front desk. It's location near restaurants and art galleries, shops and museum make it a great home base for a full Laguna Beach experience. Having stayed there before, we enjoyed the little things: free popcorn in the afternoon, an ice cream social and free exercise classes at the pool in the early a.m. More activities are being added. During the summer season it is noisy because of the popularity of this destination point. That said, even during the summer most nights, after dark the quiet returns. Watching sunsets from our unit was an ocean lover's delight ; a dazzling blend of colors reflected in the ocean and the haunting sound of soaring gulls. I look forward to my next visit to Laguna Shores. If there is a downside it is that the units sleep a maximum 4 people( some only 2), the convertible sofas offer, at best a decent bed, at worst a pancake thin mattress which we usually top with an inflatable bed for survival. Parking for the tenant is onsite and very limited. If you have visitors who meet you for a day at Laguna have them bring their credit cards to feed the hungry meters of Heisler Park or park a few blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank making_magic
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We booked our "condo" 6 months in advance. We were told that we'd have a king bed as we requested. When I asked about parking, I was told that each condo had one parking space each. When we arrived, the woman at the counter told us our room had a king bed. Our parking was not on the premises, but one block away. Upon entering the condo, we discovered that we did not have a king bed, but a queen. The woman at the counter had the gall to argue that the bed was a king. I ended up measuring the bed to prove to her the difference between a king and queen bed. Lastly, we were told that we had a very nice condo. Well our very nice condo was located on the roof where other guests parked their cars. The condo was on a street corner where we got to listen to the wonderful sounds of vehicle traffic on Pacific Coast Highway. $1200 to spend a week in a bed too small, on a parking lot, and thin windows to enjoy racing motorcycles, loud trucks, people partying, and they could have cared less when I complained about their misleading statements about our "condo" at Laguna Shores.

• Stayed: August 2011
14  Thank Avus
Susan M, Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

I wanted to be sure to extend my sincerest apologies for any miscommunication or misunderstanding regarding this booking. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay and it is discouraging to see that your stay was not as pleasant as we would have hoped.

As this reservation was made through a booking engine not directly related to Laguna Shores, I would like to point out that our resort did not make any specific promises or guarantees regarding room assignments, bed type or parking availability. While we do offer on-site parking for most of our suites, due to space limitations we are forced to accommodate one suite with complimentary parking off-site, which is located only half a block away from Laguna Shores.

If the resort had been contacted directly prior to this reservation, we would have informed you that suite assignments for rentals cannot ever be guaranteed prior to check-in, and as stated on our website, each one bedroom suite comes equipped with either a king or queen sized bed. I will be sure to follow up with the employee who had provided this misinformation to guarantee that she is well-informed on this policy. In addition, I will be contacting the vacation company that you had booked your reservation through; to make sure they are they are relaying accurate information and not making any false or misleading promises.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at the resort. My number is [--]. I would be more than happy to discuss your experience with you and extend a sincere apology for the unpleasant experience you encountered.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I spent the day out and we had several stops, when suddenly I reached to touch my cross, as I do frequently. I wore it for several years, and it was beauifully designed of 14k filligree gold with a single diamond chip, I have never found another, quite as unique and beautiful. So as you can imagine I was just sick that when I reached for it is was not around my neck. I looked everywhere I could think of, and it was just gone.
The following day, to the beach, and upon returning to our room at Laguna Shores, and walking towards the bathroom, I was utterly astonished to see my beautiful cross hanging as if displayed on the side of my suitcase! Some kind soul had evidently found it while cleaning our room and placed it / hung it on the suitcase, where it was sure to be seen. I was so grateful. I never found out who had actually found it. , nor did I get a chance to express my gratitude. I love the staff at Laguna Shores! Thank you! Sincerely, Lisa Hershner

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Susan M, General Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Thank you so much for your review, Ms. Hershner; I am very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and I will pass along your kind words to the Housekeeping Team! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed with my cousin. Accommadations were on the 2nd floor. We were able to leave the windows open and smell the ocean, hear the crashing waves, it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LisaHershner
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I've stayed at this property three times total with a relative who "owns" one of these time-share condominiums. The first two times -- in the late '90s and in 2004 -- and I didn't notice any glaring issues. That wasn't the case with this most recent visit, however.

For starters, the entire complex is showing its age. It just screams 1970s! Aside from the grounds themselves, which are beautifully maintained landscape-wise, I noticed a lot of chipped and peeling paint on building exteriors and stair railings. The complex just feels old and outdated.

Inside our unit was where my biggest concerns were: The place still has "popcorn" ceilings, and the paint on the walls and ceiling looked really dingy. There was A LOT of built-up grime on surfaces in the room: The couch, upholstered chair cushions and ottoman were soiled, and I took to actually scrubbing the wooden arms of the chair because both had big black streaks of ground-in dirt on them from long-time wear. The beige-colored step stool in the kitchen was gray with filth. There were black fingerprints on all of the doors/jambs, as well as on the doors of the refrigerator, which I was compelled to clean -- so gross!

I was forced to retrieve a light bulb from one of the maintenance people, hoping that would resolve the issue with a lamp that refused to turn on in our room. The new bulb worked, but when I went to turn the lamp off later that evening, it would not turn off with its switch, so I resorted to unplugging it. Then, when I attempted to plug it in the next day, the lamp once again would not turn on. That was frustrating.

The floor underneath the TV cabinet was littered with large crumbs and fuzz, as though it hadn't been cleaned it a while. The bathroom was long and narrow and not very roomy, though it was the one thing in the room that felt relatively clean. We couldn't seem to get the air conditioner or heater to work (both use the same, old-fashioned thermostat, that we never heard or felt kick on). While the units do contain a full kitchen, hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, box fan, two ceiling fans, alarm clock, iron/board, coffee maker and a VCR/DVD combo player, they also feature an aging dinosaur of a television set (no flat screens here, folks) and an old, plastic telephone (just one) that was also dirty.

Also, the bed was REALLY tall, which could make it difficult for someone with disabilities to get into and out of. Be forewarned: Maid service is by request, though they do come by one a day to empty the trash cans and remove/restock the towels. No one is going to be making your bed, however. Finally, I took a dip in the jacuzzi one night -- it was pleasantly clean, but the temperature was ridiculously hot, so much so that I spent less than 10 minutes in the water before feeling as though I cooking in there and had to get out.

Overall, the "condos," with their garish '90s floral "tropical" decor are in desperate need of an interior design overhaul. If the property owners could get the inside of these units looking as terrific as the landscaping, it would make staying here a much more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family