“I lost my beautiful cross, but someone's honesty was so appreciated.”
Review of Laguna Shores

Laguna Shores
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Hamilton, Ohio
“I lost my beautiful cross, but someone's honesty was so appreciated.”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I spent the day out and we had several stops, when suddenly I reached to touch my cross, as I do frequently. I wore it for several years, and it was beauifully designed of 14k filligree gold with a single diamond chip, I have never found another, quite as unique and beautiful. So as you can imagine I was just sick that when I reached for it is was not around my neck. I looked everywhere I could think of, and it was just gone.
The following day, to the beach, and upon returning to our room at Laguna Shores, and walking towards the bathroom, I was utterly astonished to see my beautiful cross hanging as if displayed on the side of my suitcase! Some kind soul had evidently found it while cleaning our room and placed it / hung it on the suitcase, where it was sure to be seen. I was so grateful. I never found out who had actually found it. , nor did I get a chance to express my gratitude. I love the staff at Laguna Shores! Thank you! Sincerely, Lisa Hershner

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Susan M, General Manager at Laguna Shores, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you so much for your review, Ms. Hershner; I am very pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay and I will pass along your kind words to the Housekeeping Team! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed with my cousin. Accommadations were on the 2nd floor. We were able to leave the windows open and smell the ocean, hear the crashing waves, it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LisaHershner
NV
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I've stayed at this property three times total with a relative who "owns" one of these time-share condominiums. The first two times -- in the late '90s and in 2004 -- and I didn't notice any glaring issues. That wasn't the case with this most recent visit, however.

For starters, the entire complex is showing its age. It just screams 1970s! Aside from the grounds themselves, which are beautifully maintained landscape-wise, I noticed a lot of chipped and peeling paint on building exteriors and stair railings. The complex just feels old and outdated.

Inside our unit was where my biggest concerns were: The place still has "popcorn" ceilings, and the paint on the walls and ceiling looked really dingy. There was A LOT of built-up grime on surfaces in the room: The couch, upholstered chair cushions and ottoman were soiled, and I took to actually scrubbing the wooden arms of the chair because both had big black streaks of ground-in dirt on them from long-time wear. The beige-colored step stool in the kitchen was gray with filth. There were black fingerprints on all of the doors/jambs, as well as on the doors of the refrigerator, which I was compelled to clean -- so gross!

I was forced to retrieve a light bulb from one of the maintenance people, hoping that would resolve the issue with a lamp that refused to turn on in our room. The new bulb worked, but when I went to turn the lamp off later that evening, it would not turn off with its switch, so I resorted to unplugging it. Then, when I attempted to plug it in the next day, the lamp once again would not turn on. That was frustrating.

The floor underneath the TV cabinet was littered with large crumbs and fuzz, as though it hadn't been cleaned it a while. The bathroom was long and narrow and not very roomy, though it was the one thing in the room that felt relatively clean. We couldn't seem to get the air conditioner or heater to work (both use the same, old-fashioned thermostat, that we never heard or felt kick on). While the units do contain a full kitchen, hairdryer, vacuum cleaner, box fan, two ceiling fans, alarm clock, iron/board, coffee maker and a VCR/DVD combo player, they also feature an aging dinosaur of a television set (no flat screens here, folks) and an old, plastic telephone (just one) that was also dirty.

Also, the bed was REALLY tall, which could make it difficult for someone with disabilities to get into and out of. Be forewarned: Maid service is by request, though they do come by one a day to empty the trash cans and remove/restock the towels. No one is going to be making your bed, however. Finally, I took a dip in the jacuzzi one night -- it was pleasantly clean, but the temperature was ridiculously hot, so much so that I spent less than 10 minutes in the water before feeling as though I cooking in there and had to get out.

Overall, the "condos," with their garish '90s floral "tropical" decor are in desperate need of an interior design overhaul. If the property owners could get the inside of these units looking as terrific as the landscaping, it would make staying here a much more enjoyable experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank ValleyMom
Dallas
Reviewed March 15, 2009

The location of this resort is perfect.Just retuned from a week and had a wonderful stay.I was within walking distance to downtown the beaches and restaurants.Just far enough from town to be really quiet and relaxing.The staff were very helpful in planning my daytrips.Rooms are a little dated,but kept up very well.Rooms were cleaned daily.The resort sits directly across the street from a local park.The landscaping is absolutely superb.You can actually see Catalina Island on a clear day.Overall,this is a very nice place.I will definitely stay there again in the future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Thrilme
Scottsdale
Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed a week, it was the most perfect beach trip. Our room was facing the ocean, the housekeeping staff was above and beyond great. They had a fun little Fourth of July luncheon for the guest. We had a short walk to the ocean, and the city had a free trolley to get around. I will always go back here. It is the best place I have ever stayed in Laguna. The grounds were so neat and orderly. The managers really take care of this property.

• Liked — Spotless!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ScottsdaleSlinky
Chicago
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We have been going to Laguna Shores for over 28 years. The location is very nice but in July it can be very crowded which we are used to. Last year, we suffered from lack of air conditioning but this year, it was comfortable. The pool lawn chairs had their finish worn off and our windows and screens were very dirty. The bed linens were thin and old. The garden areas were still beautiful and the side walks are clean. We had difficulty parking on the roof with our larger car and it's hard to drive down the driveway with other large cars blocking drive ways, we scratched our rental car bumper due to being blocked by a large truck on the roof.
It's a lovely area but it's not like it used to be.

Stayed July 2007