“Small Hotel, Big Hospitality, Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Art Hotel - Laguna Beach

Art Hotel - Laguna Beach
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
San Diego, California
“Small Hotel, Big Hospitality, Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My friend & I stayed 1 night when we were going to the Pageant of the Masters. I picked this hotel because of price, so I was expecting something basic. Most hotels were much more expensive. The location is about 10 blocks north of the Pageant, plus the free trolley picks up & drops off right across the street. It is also about 1-1/2 blocks to Crescent Bay.

The rooms were OK and clean, but had those "under the window" a/c units, so it was noisy when it kicked on. It didn't bother me, but my friend is a light sleeper. The mattresses were almost too firm, so if you want something softer, you may want to inquire if they have any in other rooms. The pillows were very disappointing. Flat as pancakes. I am used to fluffy down pillows. Next time I will bring my own.

The place is charming and reminiscent of days gone by. The pool area is nice - tables, chairs, love seats, umbrellas. There is art everywhere, thus the name. Art for sale, murals on the walls, even lapping water painted around the pool.

The owner, Gail, is fantastic. There is a small fridge in the office with water & juice. She has pastries available in the morning. If you ask her she will tell you all about which beaches to see, etc. She even let us keep our car parked there after checkout while we explored the city.

We would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank Cheryl S
Gail D, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We appreciate your visit to Laguna Beach and we look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
Monterey Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Right near the free shuttle line and a short walk to the beach, it was not just another hotel chain. The hotel is very supportive of local artists and all the art you see on the property is for sale. I like that the hotel wants to be part of the community and it shows a certain mindset that I wish that more businesses had.

Room was comfortable with a mini-fridge and microwave. Jacuzzi jetted bathtub. Everything was clean and decorated nicely. The outdoors jacuzzi and pool are a bit small but with the ocean only 3 minutes away, it's not a big deal. I would suggest this hotel if you don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle of being smack dab in the middle of town but want to be near enough to enjoy the town if you wish. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Take an older friend and get the senior rate. Go off season if you can.
    • 5 of 5 stars
gailDC51, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. As a small family owned hotel, we always support our community, it's artists, Visitor's Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce. We take pride in making our guests as comfortable as possible. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit to Laguna Beach.
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Staff was very helpful re: places to eat, catching the free shuttle to the pageant, especially the return. Shuttle drop-off is an easy walk across the street. Hotel was clean and affordable. Yet it really does need a renovation and upgrade. Towels, while exceptionally big and heavy, were a bit thread bare. Decor is reminiscent of the 70s. Furnishings are oversized for the size of the room. The AC was quite loud as it first starts up in each cycle making it impossible to sleep unless set to fan only. The pool was closed for maintenance. It really is a Motel as another guest mentioned with friendly, helpful staff and value for the money. I personally like a bit more comfort so I'll choose something different next time I'm in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for the review. As a small family owned hotel, we do our best to keep our rates below the big chains. With only 28 rooms to comfort our guests with, we do our best to keep the maintenance up. We do apologize for your inconveniences, and we work continually on keeping things up to par. We hope you enjoyed Laguna Beach!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Fantastic hotel just one block from the beach and 10 minutes walk to Laguna, good size pool and a small hot tub, Rob on reception greater us and we arrived early but he got our room ready in 20 minutes to allow us to check in. Hotel is clean and quiet (if you are not at the front on the highway) and free under ground parking was very convenient. All in all great value hotel for Laguna I would recommend and will return next time I'm there.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words...
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Art Hotel is best thought of as a nice motel with a few extras, on the outskirts of Laguna, at a great price. If you want to visit the beach, and Laguna night life, and don't mind walking, this place will save you cash, and be a pleasent stay. Off street parking is free, and the staff is friendly. The closest beaches are across the highway and down the hill, just 10 min walk. The center of Laguna is one mile. We strolled the beach, then strolled to town for dinner, then took a cab back to the hotel. Later we enjoyed the very secluded hot tub on the second floor just next to our room. I will certainly stay here again on our next visit to Laguna. If you walk to town, dont walk along the highway. Choose a street one block above or below for a quieter walk through neighborhoods.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor in the back are a short, private walk to the hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Glen G
Thank you for your kind words!
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is roughly one kilometer from downtown but very close to nice beaches. We spent here two nights from Saturday to Monday. It took some time to understand each other with the hotel staff when we called them to book our room, but once there they were very kind and helpful. There is no breakfast in the hotel but in walking distance there are many restaurants, also indicated in the hotel brochure we found in our room. The room was nice and clean, with a small balcony. We had a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caius_Iulius_Caesar
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words....
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the Art Hotel in Laguna over Memorial Weekend. I have to say everything said about the Gail and Robert are true. They care about the people staying in their hotel and try to get to know everyone. Robert was very sweet to my dog upon check-in. Gail was doing some clean up work around the pool and stopped what she was doing to show me how to work the jacuzzi. Rarely do you find management so involved and caring. Having traveled all over the country, I really prefer the privately-owned hotels/motels just for this reason. Overall an enjoyable stay and I would ecommend staying here.

That said - here are pros and cons
Pros
-Pet friendly - no extra charge for pets
- In-room coffee, fridge and microwave
- Close proximity to the beach - walking distance - see below about the beach
- Great pool area - nice furniture and shade
- Large, clean bathroom
- Good A/C
- Nice sized room, flat panel TV
- Free wifi- works great
- Nice sized rooms - I stayed in the room with 2 beds
- Nice jacuzzi on 2nd Floor overlooking the ocean
- Very nice and helpful cleaning staff
- Free underground parking - when full - overflow is on the side street
- location - about a mile from downtown - this bothers some people, but I liked being away from the craziness of downtown

Cons - very minor
- A few people have mentioned free breakfast - it's really not a breakfast - it's more like snacks - fruit, granola bars and some danish - I was fine with this, but anyone wanting something more substantial will need to go to a restaurant or Vons which is about a little more than 1/2 mile down the road
- Bedding in pet friendly room - lots of pillows and nice comforters but wonder with all the pets staying in these rooms, how often the comforters and pillows actually cleaned?
- Floors in pet friendly rooms - I brought some cleaning products with me to pick up after my dog - when spraying the carpet for cleaning - the carpet was pretty filthy - I'm thinking a steam cleaning once or twice a month might be in order especially with that many pets coming and going.
- Uncomfortable bed - a previous poster mentioned this. One of the beds in rm 107 definitely had a indent/uneveness - I didn't say anything about this because I didn't want to switch rooms, but if you have a bad back like me, might be a little bit uncomfortable.

Crescent Beach - this has nothing to do with hotel, but if you are walking to the beach, realize it is down a very steep slope. Bad knees, bad backs would not do well and it's really not a good walk for flip-flops. I felt like I was schlepping my stuff up and down that hill. The last thing I want to do on vacation is schlep! Convenient restrooms and shower area for sandy feet. Lots of sand fleas and sand flies on the beach - again, no bad marks on the hotel, but you should know what you are in for when you go the beach!

Overall score - B

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NotGrlNextDoor
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We take notice of the "cons" and do our best to keep things up to par for our wonderful guests. We have tried to put in all our website marketing that we do NOT provide breakfast, and the snacks are just that - a bonus for those that do not want to go out and eat breakfast and have just a snack. :)