“Excellent value hotel in north Laguna”

Art Hotel - Laguna Beach
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed four nights in a king room with a small balcony, and enjoyed it very much. The room was clean and comfortable with modest appointments. The location in north Laguna was perfect for my short commute north to Newport Beach where I had several appointments. The walk to the nearest beach from the hotel was about five minutes, and the Laguna beaches are beautiful and well maintained by the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rockingpk
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Art Hotel for four nights around Valentine's day. We found a good online sale and crossed our fingers.

For me, a worthwhile hotel needs three essentials: a comfortable bed, a peaceful environment and a clean room. Unfortunately, Art Hotel stumbled on two of those three. Plus, we experienced another snafu which was irritating.

The bed in our room was long past its expiration date. A valley ran down the middle of the bed and pulled my wife and I together each night like a giant taco. All romantic possibilities aside, I slept at a slant and awoke each morning with a sore back. Second, when the cheap HVAC unit kicked on, it sounded like a freight train. The noise of the compressor was so loud we eventually just turned it over to 'fan' so the background noise would drown out the outside traffic. Room cleanliness was just average. We found a pack of razors someone had left and was missed by housekeeping. Also, my wife dropped part of an earring and while on hands and knees, I happened to look under the bed. Don't. Do. That.
The irritating extra was that, due to a booking error on the front end, our electronic room keys didn't work in our door---not one, not twice, but 4 TIMES in 4 days. It's frustrating to leave one's room and continually be locked out upon return.
Plusses? The hosts were pleasant and friendly. The hotel does have a shabby chic charm and it's probably one of the cheapest places to stay in spendy Laguna Beach.
My recommendation? spend the extra $25 and get a better place. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back, away from the busy highway traffic out front.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill B
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I went to guest profile, to better know a guest I didn't interface with, especially for a 4 day stay - which is unusual.

Any expressions of disappointment only makes the Art Hotel Laguna Beach a better place.

About me: (guest)
I marked 'middle of the road' in travel style, but am very willing to rough it in the right destinations. I've got a backpack and a tent and I'm willing to use them!

This Ocean View room is more a feather bed sleeping room versus firm. Won't work with guest willing to sleep in a tent; wants firm surface - for sure. Never heard about the HVAC, happy to know now to check and repair. Thank you, didn't know. I will definately review your comments on
housekeeping issues. No excuse. Busy 4 day week-end doesn't matter.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I made a reservation online...Gail called me asking when I might arrive when I had made the reservation for a date 2 weeks in the future. Then I called back 2 days later to cancel and received confirmation. I just got another call from Gail confirming my reservation when I received a confirmation regarding the cancellation. She said she was "leaning on [me]" because SHE hadn't properly cancelled the reservation in her own records. When I told her that was unprofessional and that she had wasted my time (it took me over 30 min to finally get through b/c the line was repeatedly busy), she said it was my own fault that I let someone "steal [my] joy," and that I shouldn't have been stressed about a possible $200 charge for a room I didn't want/need.

I rarely give ratings based on service alone, but the service here was so atrocious that it is well deserved!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JYKK
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

I thank this guest for helping me realize how "important" the words we speak are.
There was never a conversation about being charged a penny after the guest was sent a
cancellation email. (easy to track.)
The call was triggered the day of arrival because I had not cancelled the hardcopy paperwork,
when I cancelled the computer reservation.
I would rather communicate more often with the guest, when something is is question than not.
In this case, it caused to much anxiety for the guest; This was never the intent.
When I get up in the morning, I hope to offer to my guests "Peace & Rest", and the relationship begins with the reservation. I am a strong believer that "No one steals Your Joy" no matter the
situation (you have to allow it yourself); but "My words" were misunderstood this time: I apologixe for any mis-understanding. Everyone has enough going on....I am open to improve my communication skills. You have made me & and Art Hotel a better place! Thank you.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I JUST LOVED THIS PLACE.

Checking in itself was a rewarding gift. As I arrived and was greeted by the gentlemen at the desk I realized he had many books from Joel Olsteen as well as others. As we began to converse about books as he says happy birthday and gives me an inspirational book. Which I haven't yet finished but is extremely good. Off the bat I knew it was going to be a great birthday weekend for me.

Room was clean, and very well decorated. I loved the patio and all the art around the hotel as well as all the statues of bears around. My kids and husband felt very comfortable.

The location was very convenient as well. I had the best morning walk, literally almost right across from the beach, 20 min walk from downtown stores and shopping.

Maintenance was very courteous and on top of things.

Looking forward to returning in the near future, THANKS AGAIN FOR THE BEST BIRTHDAY!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Irma D
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind words! Hope you finish the book; it is a great view of our purpose!
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here in Sept 2012 and it was a great place to end a 2 week holiday in California. The room was very clean and a small balcony which is nice. There was a problem with our A/C but once we notified the front desk, the problem was rectified that day.
The busy pacific highway runs right beside the hotel but this was not a big problem for us. It is located a good 15 min walk from the main drag of Laguna but if you cross the PCH, there's a nice stroll along the shore to the town.There is also a really nice secluded beach across the road from the hotel just 2 min walk.
As we had a hire car and parking charges can be an issue with some hotels, it was great to stay here where off street underground parking was provided
But my major praise must go to the staff of this hotel because about 30 min after we had checked out of the hotel we realized our camera had been left behind in the room. So we returned to the hotel and the thankfully the owner had it at the front desk.
For the location this hotel is excellent value for those on a budget and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Any room on the upper level away from the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Gail Duncan

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I decided to southern California for our honeymoon. Prior to arriving, we hadn't booked any hotels yet as we were going for the adventurous side of things and wanted to live by the moment with no plans. After the first night staying close to the airport for convenience, we drove to Laguna Beach on the search for a good hotel. We came across the Art Hotel, located literally across the street from the beach. The Hotel was decorated so cute and unique, I really wanted to stay there. Gail, the hotel owner, was so kind to us and made us feel really welcome. We stayed a couple nights- spent the days on the beach and wandering beautiful Laguna- then left to continue our adventure in Santa Monica. Towards the end of our honeymoon I told my husband I really wanted to go back to the Art Hotel because it was my favorite hotel since being in California. We went back for our last 2 days/nights and Gail treated us to (what we thought) was her nicest room there. It was an ocean view with a cute patio. The prices are extremely affordable and we couldn't have been happier with the staff. If you're driving through Laguna Beach or flying there to stay a while, be sure to stay at the Art Hotel. You will not be sorry and you will love the view and beach front feel without the high prices.

Room Tip: We stayed in a couple different rooms and we loved them all! They are all individually decorated wit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here with our whole wedding party! It was very clean and the owner was amazing and accommodating! You cannot beat the price at all! By far one of the best places we've stayed small and cute feels like home! Thank you so much!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple