“Above average food”

Avila’s El Ranchito
Ranked #36 of 182 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: It's a chain restaurant and the other locations are in Trip Advisor - just not this one..
Reviewed August 20, 2013

First learned about this place when I lived in San Clemente, and have been coming here ever since.They have some of the best guacamole around, I find myself ordering it every time I go. The table service here can be hit or miss, which is the only reason I don't give it five stars. The food is always very good and consistent, but sometimes the wait for food and overall service isn't too great. It is still better than most Mexican food in town in my opinion, which is probably one of the reasons I keep coming here.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We recently stopped in for a mid day snack. It was on a Saturday around 2 and it was surprisingly not that busy. The server took about 5 minutes to get our drink order then it took another 10 minutes for drinks. I didn't mind the wait because the atmosphere was nice and we love the local beach crowd. The staff was friendly but the food was not that good. I ordered 2 tacos and my wife had a quesadilla. The tacos had no flavor and beans tasted like cheap fast food style Mexican. I guess I expected more from such a nice location.

Pros: Close to the beach and shops, friendly crowd and staff, good drinks.
Cons: Service is slow, food is below average, felt crammed.

Overall experience: I would recommend this for people looking for a cocktail while out and about shopping. Don't waste your time if you are hungry. The chips and salsa we not that great either. I will not be coming back.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went there for lunch, walked by at dinnertime and it was mobbed. The green and the red sauces were flavorful and authentic and the waitress was sweet and attentive. A fun spot!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went to this restaurant while on vacation, and we really loved the food! We were impressed by the rice, we are from Mexico and it was very authentic. I had the asada and shrimp and they were both delicious. Only thing I didn't love was the tortillas, they were pre-heated and not hand made. I would definitely go back to this restaurant.

1  Thank pipopeka
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently had a party of 9 cousins gather at Avila's El Ranchito in Laguna Beach for a fun evening of enjoying excellent food, tasty margaritas, and wonderful company. One member was celebrating a birthday and the server brought a huge plate of fried ice cream to share. Service was excellent! Not a place for a quiet dinner as it was a high energy atmosphere, which was perfect for our large group!