“Excellent EVERY time!”

Avila’s El Ranchito
Ranked #41 of 173 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: It's a chain restaurant and the other locations are in Trip Advisor - just not this one..
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Filled with friendly staff, chatty locals & tourists alike & not pretentious at all. Service is fast, food is delicious, & guess what, you can still get an ocean view & not break the bank to get it! My family & I love this place & the Chicken Tortilla soup is sooo good!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Food was excellent, especially the shrimp tacos and layered dip! Atmosphere was great! Service was amazing! Try the coconut margarita and strawberry churros! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I've been here many times.

I wrote a favorable review in July 2012.

Most in that review still holds. Good food.

A couple of things have changed there.

Prices have gone up. No surprise there. Where are prices not going up!?
Examples -
* Some ala carte menu items have tripled in price recently, which seems like a lot to me.
* I always would substitute a salad for rice & beans. They changed so that you can still substitute with a salad & not get the rice & beans but they now charge you for the salad. Is that a substitution? OK, so now I know. Just didn't know that when I ordered because it's not on any (old or new) menu & they do not tell you.

They they raised their prices & printed new menus. Problem is that they gave me an OLD menu to order from. So it was a surprise when we got the bill. When I asked about it they acknowledged that the menus were just recently changed & that I had gotten one of the old menus. Apparently some of the old menus were still in circulation. It happens. They would not change our bill to reflect their error. We did not make a deal about. We just paid & left.

Unfortunately that left a chink in Avila's normally stellar reputation & ratings for us.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Food was fine. Guacamole was ok - a little runny, but ok. Grilled onions in the steak burrito were nice, but steak was just ok - mostly peppers and onions inside, with almost no beans and rice. A generous portion of guac on the side. No beer on draft, only bottles. We chose to sit outside, but the patio does sit up against the main street so there's some traffic noise. If you want the ocean view, there are only a few tables with it, but through a big picture window. There are heaters and raised fire pits for a cool day/evening. We'd go back in a pinch, but would probably try something else first if we had the choice.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Coming here after leaving the Rooftop was a tremendous turnaround with service and food. The service here far exceeds what we went through by 10x and the food amazed us with the portions and taste. After ordering drinks and food, we were amazed at our bill being half the price we paid across the street at the Rooftop. So much more relaxing here with TV screens at the bar and outside seatings with propane heating torches everywhere, WE were so pleased that we came back the next night. Best steak tacos I've ever had !