“Romantic getaway with beautiful surroundings...”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Monica, CA
“Romantic getaway with beautiful surroundings...”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night to visit friends and have a romantic getaway and this place definitely exceeded our expectations. We have stayed in many boutique hotels in Southern California from Ojai to Santa Barbara to Santa Monica and even San Diego and this was by far one of our favorites. The wonderful relaxing pool with the beautiful surrounding gardens and the amazing view of the ocean from the bench outside our room to the yummy wine and cheese reception and exceptional gourmet breakfast our stay was definitely fabulous! The staff was super friendly and professional and so accommodating...they even extended our check out an hour so we didn't have to rush after breakfast to pack up. We will definitely stay here again and will continue to recommend this hidden gem to anyone interested in visiting Laguna Beach that wants to stay away from the very expensive beach resorts and wants something more charming and quaint.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The Casa Laguna is indeed a private and romantic wonderland. Our room was beautiful, the location was perfect, and in general, the service was friendly and attentive. The only negative I would offer during our stay is that there was a waitress who behaved with us in a much too familiar manner. First for breakfast, then again for wine and cheese. She was a bit over bearing and rowdy and interrupted our conversation frequently. Not only was she not most customer service oriented person that I have run across, I think she thought that by going around a corner that there was some invisible sound shield. Each time she left our table, I could hear her screaming at someone in the back. She behaved like she was working at a truck stop rather than in an expensive (at least by MY pocketbook standards) bed and breakfast. Perhaps some better training or discipline is in order! Other than this, our stay was incredible! I really don't mean to scare anyone, but she and her mouth is definately still a memory that stands out.

2 Thank slightlypeeved
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Our sincere apologies for not responding to this review in a timely manner—and our belated apologies for the discomfort this guest experienced due to an inappropriately high-spirited employee. The worker in question was really a good person who was simply not a good fit for Casa Laguna. We thank this guest for helping to bring the situation to our attention, and for their otherwise kind words about our property. The long-term positive effect of this situation was to bring about a change in our approach for selecting and training wait-staff who are encouraged to be friendly and helpful, without being loud or obtrusive.
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I booked a room for the night as a suprise for my husbands 30th birthday. When we arrived the electricity was out and they told us they would have it back on shortly. After we checked in and were taken to our room by candlelight we were a little dissapointed with how small it was and it smelled like mold. We started getting ready for dinner when the electricity came back on which was great because I had to put my make up on but it went out again then back on then off and on and off, so I became frustrated because we only had one candle so I walked over to the front desk to get more candles and I tripped on a step and hurt my ankle because I could'nt see anything. After we came back from dinner we wanted to watch some tv because at that point the electricity was back on but then the electricity turned back off and on and off again so we just went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night because something was crawling on my face, I managed to grab it and smash it on my pillow and ofcourse I could'nt see what it was because there was no electricity. Needless to say I did'nt sleep much after that and in the morning I looked on my pillow to find a bed bug and blood on it! While packing I looked under the bed to make sure we did'nt forget anything and I found a few empty water bottles and some trash. We decided to have breakfast and it was OK, nothing special. I was sooo upset that I chose this inn for my husbands birthday. I did write a complaint and I got a response for 15% off my next stay and they told me that they keep their rooms really clean (obviously not). They seemed to just blow me off about the bed bug and trash. The only good thing about this place is the staff. They were really nice but I would never stay here again, especially for how much they charge for the room you get.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
CasaLaguna, Owner, Innkeeper and Caretaker at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
The power outage in December ‘08 at Casa Laguna was an unexpected event. I
personally contacted all in-house guests affected expressing my most sincere apologies for the disturbances caused and my pledge to ensure no such event takes place in the future. Everyone was thanked for their patience while we took a step forward to make the Casa Laguna Inn & Spa a better destination for all our guests. All guests were also encouraged to contact me if they had further comments about their experience at Casa Laguna.

With one exception, all the feedback I got from guests affected was positive, affirming kind and encouraging. I received more than a dozen such responses and I shared them all with the terrific team here at Casa Laguna. The one exception was from the guest who wrote this review. As quickly as I received her note I responded thanking her for taking the time to share with me her experiences at the Casa Laguna and expressing my disappointment that she and her husband experienced the items she mentioned.
Housekeeping is an extremely important aspect of any stay at our property and we have consistently earned high marks from the agencies which inspect us (AAA, Select Registry, OCHCA) as well as guests that leave comment cards. I promised to immediately look into the circumstances associated with preparing the room in which she stayed on December 27 and take corrective action to ensure that we return to the high standards we have set for room cleaning and preparation.

We work closely and continually with our Pest Control Service provider. I am pleased to report the Casa Laguna Inn & Spa is completely free of bed bugs. We conduct professional inspections and apply treatments weekly to ensure we remain pest free.

Each room is equipped with a “plug-in” rechargeable flashlight that comes on automatically in the event of a power outage. We will make sure to offer all guests additional candles and flashlights in the event of a power outage in the future. We maintain a supply of both candles and flashlights in the Mission House and lobby.

I am disappointed that the team and I were not able to offer the experience this guest expected. Tremendous time, effort and resources have gone into making the Casa Laguna Inn & Spa “the Perfect Getaway.” While the work we have done has been overwhelmingly well received and praised, there are aspects of the property that remain original and appropriate for its history and heritage. Occasionally, that heritage is not a good fit for guests expecting a more ordinary experience.
Belmont Shore, CA
Reviewed May 8, 2009

From the moment you enter the property, you feel that there is something special about this place. Everything is hidden behind flower gardens. I felt like i was in Seville, Spain. The ocean breeze and view from our "ocean view room" was breathtaking. I swam in the pool while my fiance received a "hot stone massage." The look on my fiance, says it all (quality of massage), she had droopy redish eyes with her shoulders lowered. It's like all her tension and worries were taken away by the hot stones. The hotel provided refreshments from 5 to 7. Wine, cheese and my favorite, "Pate." We had diner at Tabu, an 8 minute walk from the hotel. Have hotel make reservations and try the scallops, amazing! We then walked down to Victoria beach, 5 minute walk from restaurant. Bring your camera, you will want to take lots of pictures at the beach. In the morning, we had quite possibly the best breakfast. I won't spoil the surprise, lets just say that the ingredients they use are fresh and the chef knows exactly what to do with them. Check out time was at 11, i extended it till 12. We did not want to leave, they practically had to drag us out of the hotel.....(just kidding). We will stay here again and again. Please note, if you are looking for a hotel (las vegas style), this is probably not for you. There is no flat screen tv, no jacuzzi, etc.....

1 Thank somethingtodo
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed May 3, 2009

We spent our anniversary at the Casa Laguna Inn last weekend and had a wonderful time. The staff was very courteous and attentive to every detail (my wife mentioned that it was our anniversary while making the reservation - they gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and wished us a happy anniversary on our arrival). Another small but impressive touch was the basket of oranges and cookies that they apparently place in every guest room.

The grounds are gorgeous, serene and very welcoming. We arrived at 2:00 and intended to check in, drop our bag, and head to downtown Laguna or the nearby beach, but after seeing the courtyard, decided to just relax with some coffee and tea (provided in abundance by the inn) and do some reading. The pictures of the property don’t do enough to show how beautiful it is!

The rooms are simple – nothing fancy, but they are well-appointed and comfortable. We had an “ocean view” room that gave us a fantastic view. There was an AM/FM radio/CD player that was playing a CD of romantic songs created by the inn when we first went into the room – another nice touch. They also stock a large collection of DVDs available at no charge to guests.

The inn is south of downtown Laguna Beach, which we considered an advantage because the area isn’t as crowded or noisy as it is closer to town. There are a few nearby restaurants within a few minutes drive or walk (we chose the latter). Again, nothing fancy, but certainly to our taste.

Breakfast also exceeded our expectations. They offer about 6 – 8 items from a menu, ranging from a wonderful cereal/fruit combination to waffles with fresh strawberries to several egg dishes.

Someone mentioned that the inn is on the inland side of the Coast Highway, which is true, but we didn’t see that as such a big deal. You can walk less than ½ mile south of the hotel, cross under the highway, and walk another ½ mile to Victoria Beach, one of the nicest beaches in an area known for its beautiful beaches.

The only reason we didn't rate the location a "5" was because the inn is not on the beach, which would have made it perfect, but again, the beach is within view and a short walk, so no big deal.

Don’t go here if you expect room service and all that other unnecessary stuff. There are other, fancier (and more expensive) hotels nearby if you must have those amenities. Do go here if you want a cozy, welcoming and intimate experience and attentive staff.

We live nearby and are always looking for a place to spend a night or two as a quick break from our routine. The Casa Laguna Inn will be seeing us again!

2 Thank Dennis_Mary
los angeles
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My wife loved the room - small and well-decorated. Ocean view helped! Friendly staff. Breakfast included was gourmet and enjoyable. Convenient to beach and shopping.

1 Thank pflagdad
Palm Desert, CA
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We thought the pictures on the website were enhanced.....Wrong, it was beyond our belief! Every nook and cranny was charming! Dripping with romance and charm!
The thereputic soak overlooking the ocean sunset was a dream! The food was fabulous!
Service delightful!
We found our new favorite that is for sure!!!!
Steven & Sherry Ann