“It was nice but nothing special”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“It was nice but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at the Casa Laguna for 3 nights as part of our Honeymoon tour of America. I researched the Casa Laguna so much before booking and I was so excited to stay there, however for me I felt slightly let down.

The grounds are lovely and the views are very nice, however I felt everything just fell a bit flat. There is a lot of road noise, this didn't bother us too much, but it may be an issue for some. Parking was fine, if you are a confident driver you won't be bothered by the pillars as the spaces are huge.

We stayed in a Courtyard Room, which although is their most basic room, is very expensive per night. The room lacked natural light and was very small. I know other reviews state how small the rooms are and this is true. I could deal with the size of the room but my biggest issue was the lack of natural light and it is impossible to open the blinds as there are people walking past both windows. I will say the bed and linen used were some of the softest I have slept in, very nice and cosy.

The bathroom was also more like a small en suite. Again it was fine, but sometimes there was a drainage smell coming from the sink. I did mention this to the staff when we were checking out so hopefully this can be resolved for future guests.

Breakfast was nice. I am not too sure why people are going crazy for how good the breakfasts are, yes there were nice, but nothing out of the ordinary either. We had no issues with breakfast times, we changed our time for all 3 mornings with no problems at all. The cheese and wine reception in the evening was a nice touch and a nice thing to do before heading into Laguna for dinner.

The pool area is fine, very small, only 8 sun loungers, so not much space for people to lie around the pool. WiFi was also terrible and never worked, we were told this was because a new router was being put in, but as a paying customer, I don't really care why, I just want something to work when it should.

We had a lovely couples massage and soak in the hot tub with sparkling wine, this was a lovely experience and a highlight of our stay. We did have an issue with payment for the treatment though. On 3 separate occasions, at reception, on the booking form and after a phone call to our room, we stated we wanted to pay cash, however it was still charged to our card and had to be refunded back to us, which caused an issue with using our card at the next hotel.

Overall it was a nice stay but for us, it didn't live up to expectations.

6 Thank abimh87
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
We always hesitate to quibble with a 3-star review and we certainly respect everyone’s right to an opinion. But for the benefit of prospective guests reading this forum we do need to address some of the negatives listed that are so very untypical when compared to the majority of our reviews. As we have said so many times, we readily admit that we are not a perfect fit for everyone and clearly this couple would have preferred a larger, full-service resort instead of a small boutique inn. Many of the things they complained about (or were indifferent about) are the exact things most of our many fans love about our inn. Our grounds fell a bit flat: Visitors from around the world compare our grounds to the finest terraced gardens of Spain and Italy. Courtyard room is expensive: Compared to local hotels and resorts it is not only inexpensive, it also includes amenities you would pay for at other hotels in the form of resort fees, including a breakfast nearly every guest raves about. The two main windows in each Courtyard rooms are 3x4 feet and look out on a bright cheery garden terrace. Breakfasts ordinary: We know of no hotel in all of California, nor the parts of England we’ve been to, that provides a menu of 6 gourmet entrees, plus sides and fruit and pastry and a drink bar at absolutely no additional charge. We call that extraordinary, and so do the majority of our guests. Pool area small: Our pool area is actually very large for a 22-room boutique hotel. Only family-oriented bustling big-box resorts have larger pools. WiFi temporarily down: All the money in the world can’t buy a WiFi system that never fails. Paying in cash: In the United States and many parts of the world, nearly all hotels require a credit card at check-in for incidentals. It is understood that services not paid for at the time of service will be charged to the card. Most guests find this a convenience and almost no one pays with cash—although we do make every effort to make that happen on those occasions where the guest lets us know in advance and does not later change their mind. We have previously mentioned a hotel/restaurant phenomenon called “following the leader,” where patrons pick an establishment because of its customer ranking, without truly looking at all the photos and descriptions on the website to see if the rooms, services, food, etc. are truly the type they are looking for. Then they sometimes arrive only to find that what everyone else loved does not live up to their expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
Henderson, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

From the evening reception, to the personalized welcome letter at check in, the pool, and the view; this place was perfect all the way around. The waffles at breakfast were to die for. Parking was a little tricky, but other than that no complaints.

1 Thank Marcos R
We love the combination of words, Perfect Romantic Getaway. We’re thrilled that Casa Laguna was able to provide this couple with a perfect stay, and we hope they will have the opportunity to return very soon.
Laguna Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I had toured the Casa Laguna Inn last summer for an article I wrote for a local newspaper. When I was in need of a place to park my mom at Christmas time, I thought this would be a place she would enjoy. Sure enough she loved it.
The staff are very personable and attended to her needs like a 5 star hotel.
The room, while on the small side and a bit cramped with the King bed (that should really have a Queen bed) was very quiet.
She only had one breakfast at the Inn and said it was very good. She liked the choices of entrees offered that vary for different tastes.
She also enjoyed (briefly, due to our time constraints) the wine reception in the evening.
Lastly, she enjoyed the Inn's gardens and pool area . She did not go in the pool but did some reading poolside. She said it was very peaceful and pretty.
She would stay at the Casa again. If the Inn wasn't down the street from my house, I would stay there too. I love this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hotel-Designer
We are honored that Hotel-Designer chose our inn as a place for their mother to stay and we’re so glad she enjoyed her visit with us. We thank Hotel-Designer taking the time to let others know about their experience with Casa Laguna.
san diego, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Celebrating turning 60 with my best friend, we couldn't have chosen a nicer place. I spent lots of time researching where to stay and finally settled on Casa Laguna. So glad I did! Lovely gardens, charming interiors, BEST bed pillows ever. The wine and appetizer evening reception and the all day beverage bars are lovely extras. Breakfast was delightful. We would love to be able to take home that delicious granola. I will definitely come back with my husband.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
We’re so pleased that this guest enjoyed their birthday celebration at Casa Laguna and we thank them for this lovely review. We look forward to their return.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everything was great about this place - the ambience, location, service, food... Jesse was extremely nice and helpful when we first checked in. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The breakfasts were delicious. The room was great and we felt like we had ample privacy and seclusion from other guests. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic, peaceful place to stay on the PCH. One more thing - the spa service is a great bonus feature - our massages were excellent! We wanted to stay the whole week.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our patio room. It was recommended to me by one of the employees I spoke with on t...
Green Features: I'm glad we could recycle certain items in a separate bin.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
We cannot thank Chris S enough for posting this lovely concise review of their stay at Casa Laguna. We particularly appreciate this couple’s valued recommendation for those looking for a relaxing, romantic, and peaceful place to stay. We hope they get the opportunity to come back for that desired extended stay so that we can spoil them again very soon.
Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel "decided" to cancel my reservation to spend the first 3 nights of my honeymoon there. I was told that Amex had called to ask them not to honor my reservation; I spoke to Amex. Completely false. I would not recommend anyone to book at this place; they decide who stays and who doesn't. I am now booked at the St Regis Monarch Beach (thanks for cancelling by the way!)

5 Thank Disfan
Although this post states that it relates to a couple who stayed with us in May 2014, this is not the case. The individual writing this post (hereinafter “the traveler”) did not stay with us. In fact, we had almost no contact with him throughout the booking process, despite many efforts to reach him. After the initial booking was made, we began to receive a series of requests for unusual high-end add-ons, such as arranging dinner on the beach and limousine pick-up from LAX, all which were to be charged to the traveler’s room. As a small inn, these are not services we provide, and if we did provide them, we would certainly require payment up front. My front desk associate attempted to contact the traveler in order to discuss the many requests and this was the point at which we discovered the phone number provided was not that of the traveler, but rather a supposed travel agent in Texas who was unable to give us any information about the traveler. I then directed my front desk associate to contact American Express to make sure the card was not stolen. After explaining the circumstances, he was transferred to a Fraud Specialist who advised him that the situation warranted strong consideration as attempted fraud. The specialist took a full report and then made it very clear that if we held the reservation with the traveler and any fraud were to take place, then Casa Laguna, not American Express, would be liable. Based on everything that occurred up to that point, we then cancelled the reservation and continued to attempt to reach the traveler, without success. We later received a phone call from an individual identifying himself as the cardholder. We advised him that, if he could provide the correct personal information to match the credit card, and if American Express gave us authorization, we could reinstate the booking. The person on the phone stated that he wasn’t sure he still wanted to stay with us and we advised him that was certainly up to him.

I later received an email from the traveler saying that he was prepared to write bad reviews about our inn, but first wanted to know the details of why we cancelled his reservation and what we were going to do for him. A more detailed version of the information provided in this reply was sent to him by return email. We can only assume that he actually received it since there was no further communication.

This may well have been nothing more than a misunderstanding resulting from lack of communication. We will probably never know. It is highly unlikely this traveler would have been happy staying at our inn, since we could not provide him with all the extras he wanted. However, we did not simply decide to cancel the traveler’s reservation as he claims. We cancelled his reservation based on established industry standards and the advice of American Express Fraud Division. Most travelers are not aware that American Express has the most rigid standards in the industry for charges made by phone, mail, or email. Also, we have been the victims of credit card fraud on more than a few occasions in recent years. Thus, the staff and management of Casa Laguna spend many hours verifying information and making sure standards are met so that we do not incur charge-backs that greatly affect our ability to remain competitive in this crowded industry.

Finally, we resent any implication that we discriminate in any way. Casa Laguna is proud to have built and retained a long list of regularly returning guests of every race, creed, color, ethnicity, and orientation.
Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Things that really stood out above other B & B's and hotels in the area: (1) The sheets (2) The breakfasts (3) The coffee (4) The beautiful surroundings: Lots of fountains, flowers and foilage. (5) The ammenities in our room: Shampoo, Body Wash and Moisturizer from England, champagne from France (celebrating out anniversary), freshly made chocolate chip cookies, bottled purified water, fresh oranges, bath salts, magnifying mirror, etc. All of this was complimentary including happy hour with wine, sparkling cider and quite a selection of gourmet cheeses, crackers, nuts, little salads and appetizers, which vary daily. Some rooms have patios with ocean views (from across the street), so they also have some road noise. You can also get a great boxed lunch for only $10, which I recommend; but you need to pre-order it at breakfast. Overall, a very enjoyable and relaxing experience. Would go back for the breakfasts, if nothing else! (But you have to be a B & B guest to eat there FYI!

Room Tip: If you intend to sit on your patio, don't recommend one street side due to road noise. (Ocean v...
Green Features: Pretty standard: asking you to hang up your towels if you are willing to use them again, or throw on floor if you want them washed. Will change sheets every other day unless guest is adamant they want them changed daily, which is highly unnecesary! Who does that at home?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Our many thanks go to SP P for this concise yet detailed review of their stay. We’re glad they had the opportunity to enjoy much of what our inn has to offer, and we hope they have the opportunity to visit us again.