“misrepresented, over priced”

GreenLeadersBronze level
healthprof
“misrepresented, over priced”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

When my husband and I made a reservation here no one mentioned that our room overlooked Pacific Coast Highway. They just told us "Ocean View" with slight road noise. Pacific Coast Highway is not "slight" road noise and the ocean is across the street. We assumed ocean view meant overlooking the ocean. We left within ten minutes and stayed somewhere that actually overlooked the ocean for the same price. The only upside was they did give us a full refund.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank healthprof
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
We're sorry healthprof did not enjoy their stay at Casa Laguna, but we strongly disagree with their contention that we in any way misrepresented the location or the road noise. It has always been clear on all of our promotional material that our address is on historic Pacific Coast Highway--the only ingress and egress to South Laguna. All one need do is look at the pictures on our web site, and you can clearly see that the highway is between us and the ocean. We have always admitted that some people notice some road noise, but as you can see from our many glowing reviews, most guests are not significantly bothered by the drone of passing vehicles making their way from one Orange County beach city to another. As to our rates, Casa Laguna’s rates are competitive with all Laguna Beach accommodations that, like us, usually appear in the top five for customer satisfaction. As healthprof points out, once were were advised that they were unhappy with their stay, we offered a refund, which they gladly accepted before writing this negative review. We advise anyone with the same concerns expressed by healthprof to carefully view the photos on our website, or call the inn directly so that we can give you an honest assessment and insure that we are a proper match for your criteria.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Turkish first
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Our stay at the Casa Laguna Inn was delightful from start to finish. We received a warm welcome at the front desk and were shown to our deluxe room with a private patio. The room was small but light-filled, and the ocean view from the patio was lovely. Casa Laguna is a ten-minute walk to Victoria Beach, and we loved strolling there in the early morning. The breakfast was unlike any we'd experienced at a B&B: we were amazed to be presented with a menu of several entrees, with a choice of granola, fresh fruit, chocolate scones, or banana bread as a starter course. The breakfast area had mostly tables for two, so there was none of the forced conviviality of the typical B&B. Guests at the afternoon happy hour could sit in the breakfast area or take their wine and hors d'oeuvres back to their room, as we chose to do. The pool was heated to a perfect temperature, and we spent an enjoyable afternoon swimming and sunning on the lushly decorated pool deck. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. We can't wait to return next year!

Beth and Steve
Taos, New Mexico

• Liked — Romantic atmosphere
  • Disliked — Parking facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Taos_NewMexicoBeth
Seal Beach, CA
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Just got back from our 2 night stay at Casa Laguna, Ocean View Deluxe Room. We arrived a bit early, 2pm, room wasn't ready yet. We walked around the property, took some pictures, then sat in the bell tower, nice and cool, slight breeze. They called our cell when the room was ready. Other than the structure itself, everything in the room looked very new. Even the patio furniture looked sparkling clean. The jaquzzi tub was a good size. The bed was very comfortable. Not a lot of room for clothes, a small closet and desk/cabinets. They offered a few toiletries in the bathroom, including earplugs. I was a bit concerned about noise due to some of the reviews. Our room was fine, no road noise with the doors closed. Once you opened a door, it was a bit noisy. They had AC, so no real reason to open at night.

Got up our first morning, went down to breakfast, amazing! Great food. Went down to Moss Point, a quick walk, to check out the tide pools. Nothing much down there except a lifeguard and a rising tide. We did see a dolphin out there. Returned to the hotel for our massages, very nice, relaxing. The jaquzzi overlooking the property/ocean was a great end to the spa.

We had tickets to Pageant of the Masters. In the summer, they city has FREE trollys running all over the place. After waiting about 15 minutes, we hopped on, was in downtown a few minutes later. Had dinner at Solerno's, yum. Family run Italian place, make reservations, it filled up in less than an hour of being open.

It was expensive, but it really felt like we got our money's worth. A great way to spend our Anniversary.

• Liked — Service was perfect.
  • Disliked — Location...away from downtown Laguna.
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
auckland new zealand
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We had two outdated, old rooms up top.
They were small, the furniture old and dowdy, the bedspread the same i had as a child 45 years ago.
The toilet overflowed in the middle of the night.
Couldnt wait to leave and skipped the breakfast.
Place is a time warp and seemed way over rated to me and my family. Biggest disappointment on our trip and couldnt wait to leave. Place gave me a yuck vibe. Seen a better day.
Needs new decor and carpet and more.
Hated it period. Would rather stay at a Marriott anyday.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — all of it
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank joan_row
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
We are sorry this guest was not happy with their visit to Casa Laguna. We are an historic inn with some smaller rooms decorated with antique furnishings indicative of the period when Laguna Beach was a magnet for struggling and established artists and Hollywood stars looking for a coastal getaway. For most guests, the décor is part of the charm that keeps them coming back again and again. People who enjoy staying in crowded, bustling, modern hotels with identical bulk-purchased contemporary furniture in every room will very likely be disappointed with Casa Laguna’s Old World charm. We are constantly upgrading and improving our rooms, and many changes have been made since 2008. As to overflowing toilets – rest assured that is not a common problem at Casa Laguna—but, hotels occasionally have that problem because people sometimes flush things they shouldn’t. As a historic, romantic inn, we readily admit that we are not appropriate for families, and we make that clear in our promotions and at the time reservations are made. We are a relaxing retreat and/or romantic getaway; more appropriate for singles and couples than for groups or families. The level of our brow is a matter of personal judgment.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I had been looking forward to a great vacation in Laguna. I had read the reviews and decided to take a chance with this B&B since my usual one in Seal Beach had been torn down to build condos. Upon check-in we had to pay 100% in advance-I thought that was kind of odd. I also didn't realize that this B&B was not within walking distance to the nicer downtown area. What was nice however was the free trolley that stops right outside every 20 minutes.

Originally when I booked the room I had snagged the last room available- this was a few weeks in advance, so originally I didn't mind that it was a smaller room. Upon arrival the room was very small and the bathroom even smaller. The shower was a one person approximately 30"x30" square. Thoughout the stay we did see a few critters (ants & spiders) but nothing out of the ordinary and I would expect that from an older building.

The big dissapointment was the food and the breakfast hours. Hours in all documentation and verbal direction from the staff stated it began at 7:30AM. We had booked some excursions for early in the morning only to find out that breakfast didn't begin until 8:00AM. Not a huge deal but again misrepresentation and inconsistancy. As for the food itselt, this B&B has supposedly received awards for its cuisine and chef. The menu consisted of the same +/- 7 choices evey day, over the course of a week. But with that said, the entrees lacked consistancy- not only in presentation but also flavor. The worst happened when I ordered an omlete for the third day in a row and this time it was not cooked. The egg was slimy and dripping. I asked to have it remade. The manager returned the same omlete that I had cut into- recooked again. When I had placed my order I also asked for a side of fresh salsa. When that finally came halfway through finishing the omlete I pulled out a long piece of hair. At that point I had lost my appetite. The manager apologized and asked if I wanted something else, but I was not interested. While lingering trying to get the last of my husband's food delivered the chef walked by, looked at me and kept walking. He never stopped to say a word. Very unprofessional and a big let down. Needless to say we left and went elsewhere for breakfast. Please think twice about your stay here.

• Liked — within walking distance to nicer beaches
  • Disliked — Food quality & lack of cosistancy- long hair in my food and recooking of the same order-
    • Check in / front desk
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2011
This guest’s experience is not in any way typical and we greatly apologize for the difficulties she encountered. All prospective guests should be aware that it is the standard of the industry to collect the full value of the first night’s stay in advance as a way to avoid possible lost revenue due to no-shows. We caution all travelers, regardless of where they plan to stay, to always read the hotel/inn’s policies regarding upfront payment and cancelation fees.

Casa Laguna is a historic property that has been fully renovated, with additional renovation having taken place since this review was written. We always advise prospective guests that we have a wide variety of rooms in a variety of sizes. Some of our rooms are small, and only a very few have small showers. We encourage our guests to advise us immediately if their room is not what they expected. Based on availability, we are frequently able to move the guest to a room that better fits their criteria. That said, we have many returning guests who love the smaller, quaintly appointed rooms that are reminiscent of the period when Casa Laguna was an artist colony.

Our inn is regularly inspected and treated by an extermination service, keeping within the guidelines that allow us to retain our status as a wildlife sanctuary. We are located in a damp climate and we have lush gardens that do sometime attract pesky insects. However, insects are rarely seen in the rooms.

I am at a loss to understand this guest’s complaints regarding breakfast. A full gourmet breakfast is, in fact, served daily from 7:30 to 10:30, and the only time I have known of it being delayed was when we had problems with our oven. As this guest points out, we provide a menu of culinary selections. Most B&B’s offer one or two. Even in 2008, our guests raved about the quality and variety of our breakfasts, and we have now developed a reputation as a foodie destination.

And finally, as suggested by surfergirl831, we invite our guests to think twice about their stay here--once when they arrive and see the beautiful grounds, then slumber on luxurious linens and rise to experience a one-of-a-kind gourmet breakfast; and once again when they get back home and recall their special time at Casa Laguna.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Casa Laguna Inn is a beautiful little inn that has a great romantic atmosphere.

We were in a deluxe ocean view room. When we arrived in our room there was a personalized note left to welcome us. There was also bottled water, cookies, and fruit left for us. Our room was decorated with antique furniture and was very clean. It had small refrigerator. It had a cool faux fireplace, a double jacuzzi tub (with candle). They provided robes and high end bath products including bath salts.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. A great place for a wonderful, exceptionally presented gourmet breakfast. There is a self serve coffee/beverage bar open most of the day. They also serve wine, cheese, and light snacks in the evening.

They are located about two miles from the main part of town, but in mid summer there is a free trolley that runs every 20 minutes that takes you there. It looked like this services was offered seasonally. The trolley stop is located right in front of the Inn.

The closest beach is a bit of a hike up and down some steep hills. There was a map left in our room with directions to this beach. It was uncrowded and fronted by luxury homes. A better bet is Treasure Island Beach Park, just a short drive south.

The only drawback for the property was the very tight parking lot which fills up in the evening forcing you to park on the street.

I would return and recommend this property to friends.

1 Thank TamsAZ
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I specifically chose this place after looking at their website & some reviews-although as expected,some are not very good, I took a chance. We could have stayed at the Ritz in Laguna also (& all on points too)-but I wanted something more homey-as it's our 30-yr anniversary & happens to be my b-day too. Stayed there from 7/17 & checked out Sunday, 7/20. Here are our combined pros & cons of this B&B:

PROS:

- yes, the ambiance was there, lots of plants & flowers
- although we wanted a suite,all booked,so, we were in a small room, but it was fine,has some ocean view (we were in rm#18)
- I booked a 'togetherness massage' w/ a soak/champagne & it was lovely -overlooking the pool
-breakfast was very good-the chef actually served us
-wine & cheese was fine, but not great
-most of the staff are good

CONS:

-the room is really very very small (at $331/night incl tax)
-the parking was ridiculous.My husband drives a sports car, so it's small,but the space between the post & other car, are just inches away. And when you drive down,beware those with sports car, his was damaged underneath the hood because of the way that portion of the driveway was done
-we just had one breakfast there (Friday).Sunday,our check out day (check out at 11am),we figured we'll have breakfast around 9:00am before we hit the road. We were seated on the top level of the porch, since the one below was full. First, the girl asked for our order-they have same menu every morning(about 4 selections). I ordered the regular Amer.breakfast,husband ordered omelette. After 20 minutes,girl comes back,told us she forgot what we ordered-gave to her again.After 15 mins,she came back again,this time, she said there was a "mix'up"in the kitchen.In the meantime,3 people sat on the next table.She took their orders. 15 mins went by,she said yours should be coming,we said ok.She came back with the other people's order-and I saw that one of the order was like my husband's omelette-& they got served just after 15 mins--while we've been there 45 mins-she looked at us & said,it's coming.At that point, we got up & just had it. Went to the front desk & paid & checked out-& told the person there-we're not having the breakfast & told them why-the girl was there too. That was ridiculous-if she did not serve those people beside us, we would have forgiven that--but that was very poor judgment on her part & for us to be dissed out like that after waiting patiently for practically an hour & imagine we stayed there from Thursday-Sunday to spend our 30-yr anniversary,they could have treated us much better because they know we've been there at least longer than just one night-that was it....I was hoping I will recommend this place..but I don't want my friends to experience what happened to us.

Whether there was malicious discrimination-it definitely seems obvious (I'm Asian & my husband's caucasian) -if not, they need training how to handle delayed orders.

We have stayed in many beautiful places,B&B-last recent one was in Healdsburg (410 Matheson)-they know how to treat you right. We have been to lots of big luxury hotels all over the world & majority of our stays had been great experiences.

I will also e-mail the innkeeper, Francois so he knows what happened to us-they need improvements if they want people to return and recommend their place.

Doris

• Liked — Hacienda style place,plants,flowers, homey appeal
  • Disliked — very very small rooms - even their suite does not seem to be big
2 Thank bruha50
CasaLaguna, Owner at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2008
It is the intent of all members of the Casa Laguna Inn & Spa team to provide a comfortable and casual environment for all our guests - in the words of this reviewer, “something more homey” than a large hotel. The team at Casa Laguna Inn & Spa is young. We have found great success in working with team members that are eager to please and willing learn. We have enjoyed providing the opportunity to develop professional service skills and advancement within what is to most, a very appealing business. We work continually with our team members and have adopted our version of the Golden Rule which is, “Treat others as they want to be treated.” Unfortunately, this guest caught us at the intersection of three particularly bad circumstances, a forgetful server, a busy Sunday morning (our busiest all week) and some confusion in our kitchen. For that I am deeply sorry. Before this review was posted, counseling and corrective steps to ensure those circumstances don’t transpire again had already been undertaken. As my friend Shakespeare wrote, “To err is human…”

The comment within the review that concerns me the most is the one related to discrimination. I assure all readers that the poor service this guest received was in no way related to who they were. It was simply a matter of poor circumstances. My team and I are comprised of individuals of various backgrounds including some of mixed racial and religious descent. We are all very conscious of the duty of providers of public accommodation to provide services in an egalitarian manner and NEVER abandon that duty. The mission of every member of the team at Casa Laguna is to provide a superior experience for each and every one of our guests.