WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersBronze level
Temecula
“Another Great Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was our second trip and stay at Casa Laguna. It has become THE place for our Anniversary getaway trip each year. We stayed in the Laguna suite and love it. Very romantic, and a great place to spend quality time with your loved one. The staff is amazing, and the food is even better! Thanks again for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank firehouseq
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
We cannot often enough say how thrilled we are to have a large following of couples who regularly return to Casa Laguna for anniversaries and romantic getaways, and we want firehouseeq to know how much we appreciate their loyalty and their kind review. We also want them to know that they can always expect the same guest-first service and attention to detail during every stay—and, of course, the spectacular menu of gourmet breakfasts we are known for. We look forward to seeing them again next September!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Visit was to see family and also have some down time. My room was great. Loved how my suite was set up. Bed was super comfy! I had the best body scrub followed by an awesome massage in the spa. Breakfast was a great way to start the day every day. The French Toast was unbelievable!!! I will have to come back here again next time I come out to the West Coast again. Loved this place!!! The staff was super friendly and helpful upon check in and with dinner suggestions or anything else I needed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nadine C
We are so pleased that Nadine C chose to stay at our inn during her California visit, and that we met or exceeded her expectations for superb service, comfort, and amenities. One of the favorite lines we love to see in reviews is Love-this-place! It's so great that Nadine C is already planning to visit us again in the future. We cannot thank her enough for her patronage and her lovely review.
La Quinta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I too have stayed in many hotels, inns and B&B's in the 76 different countries and all 7 continents that we have traveled to, including a quaint hotel on the Isle of Capri, and I must say this delightfully romantic spot was superb and exceeded our expectations. The service was top notch. All the personnel went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The grounds are lushly landscaped with, ferns, palms and other healthy plants and vines as well as many colorful perennial flowers. There is a large heated swimming pool surrounded by very comfortable lounges. The rooms are furnished with antiques but have an upgraded bath with Jacuzzi type tubs and the most comfortable beds we've slept in since the Tranquility beds on the Oceania Cruise line. A highlight of our stay were the breakfasts cooked to perfection which were extremely tasty. They even accommodated the gluten free-dairy free diet I am experimenting with and the dishes were excellent. The afternoon wine and cheese is not our thing but it was beautifully laid out with a good selection. Some of the 22 rooms, we understand from others, are a bit noisy if you are right on the Coast Highway but our suite was very quiet and afforded us a very good night's sleep. The only downside, if there is one, is the distance from the center of Laguna Beach. The parking on the hotel property is limited and during weekends in order to not have to park on the street when returning from dinner, we had to take a taxi every time we went into town. It's too far for most people to walk. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a romantic escape to a little slice of European ambiance and hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms away from the front of the hotel which is on the Coast Highway
Green Features: They use CF & LED light bulbs, recycle bins in each room and have a towel re-use program that is optional.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David888888
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
It’s always great to get a glowing review and recommendation from an experienced world traveler like David888888. We often hear Casa Laguna compared to European destinations, and we are of course flattered by the comparison to Capri. We sincerely thank this couple for choosing our inn for their Laguna Beach stay and we want them to know how much we appreciate that they took the time to let others know how much they enjoyed and appreciated their experience.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My experience at Casa Laguna was completely amazing. It really is all the little things and the sheer charm of this place that will continue to surprise and delight you. Firstly, the inn is exquisite. Old and rustic, charming and homey. Everything from the stone walls and original catalina tiles to the wood and metal work throughout. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and dotted with pots and mission decor. There are several places to sit and eat breakfast or enjoy cocktail hour if you want privacy. The pool is large, clean, at the perfect temperature and, I found for the most part, empty. There's plenty of lounge chairs for sunning. Little things like iced tea and flavored water arranged poolside are great while you bask in the sun. The place is kept spotless although the 'litter' here is fallen flower petals and leaves dotting the pathways. You'll see the staff constantly tidying and maintaining all areas.

My suite was charming, clean and had everything I needed. The huge jetted tub, rainfall shower fixture and fluffy bed and pillows were great. In-room little touches like himalayan sea salts for a soak and cookies and fruit for snacking were great. The charming private patio I had was a real treat. The room had AC and a ceiling fan, a flat screen and ambient fireplace. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was a good size.

The breakfasts here are nothing short of delectable. Beautifully presented and so fresh and tasty. Whatever you choose will be delicious. Each breakfast starts with a plate of fruit, mini baked goods and the most awesome date butter spread. Each night they put out an assortment of hors d'oeuvres, cheeses, crackers, fruits, nuts, olives and the like for guests to snack on before dinner along with wines, cider and sparkling water to enjoy. You can take a plate and find a spot in the shade surrounded by tropical plants and have a quiet nibble. There's also a juice and coffee bar to get a drink at any time which is great on the go. Grab a cup of tea or a hot chocolate and go sit in the bell tower and enjoy.

However the food and accommodations are nothing compared to the service you'll experience at Casa Laguna. I felt completely taken care of by the entire staff. Alex gave me a great tour of the grounds and my room and answered all my questions before I could ask them. Everything was clear and organized. Many special thanks to Lisa, Alex, Zaman and of course Nick who did a phenominal job answering questions or making sure that I had everything I needed, they were super fun and friendly. From borrowing beach gear to checking out a movie for the night, they were happy to help. They always had great advice on where to go, what to do and how to get there the fastest and cheapest way. They had info on local events happening around the area and opinions on best restaurants and beaches. These guys are the real reason that Casa Laguna was so special for me. From the servers to the maid and maintenance staff and chefs, everyone is friendly, helpful and genuinely wants to make your stay a pleasurable one. They seemed to be available at any time for anything I needed.

Other great little things are the business center, free wifi, beach chairs, towels and umbrellas to borrow, DVD movie selection, and atmospheric classical guitar music on the speakers throughout the grounds. Because Casa Laguna is located on the PCH, it can get a bit noisy on the west side during the day. However the pool and most eating areas are fairly quiet and the bonus is the 10 minute proximity to beautiful and secluded Victoria Beach and Laguna institution Dizz's As Is, as well as all the funky and fancy shops along the highway. The parking is ample, but I would suggest renting nothing bigger than a full-size as the spaces are a bit tight.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this historic inn. For those of you looking to get away on your own or with your SO, this is it. No children, relaxed atmosphere and simply beautiful place to unwind and enjoy. Thank you again to the staff of Casa Laguna for making my stay so memorable, they are a great bunch of people. I will most definitely be back to enjoy this phenominal B&B again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank WhoaWah
We’re so excited to see so many recent detailed reviews, and we cannot thank our new Calgary friend enough for this superbly written comprehensive description of their stay at Casa Laguna and all the details that made their visit a memorable one. And, as always, our hard working staff greatly appreciates getting distinct recognition for their hard work and dedicated guest-first service. We want WhoaWah to know how glad we are that they chose our inn for their stay, and how much we appreciate their valued recommendation.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We found this place by accident as we were traveling through California. We liked it so much, we ended up spending another night. Our room was cozy and quaint. We had a beautiful view of the ocean from our Bed. They had complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby when we arrived and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. The beds were awesome and the huge bathtub and rain shower head were absolute bliss. We found the people in this town extremely friendly and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelingmuch77
We are so pleased that we were able to accommodate this couple during their travels through California and we love that they have decided to become part of our large family of regularly returning guests. We thank them for their kind review and we look forward to their return.
Switzerland, Fla.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Travelers write reviews that are opinions, based on their personal experiences at hotels, restaurants, etc. I have stayed in well over 200 hotels over the past 50 years, in the Caribbean, Mexico, Europe, Canada, and 40 of the 50 states. My reviews are based on my feelings after comparing locations, prices, customer service, and comfort of rooms.
I try to be fair, and only write what applies to my stay.My husband and I chose the Casa Laguna Inn based on the Inn's web site and T.A. reviews. We have stayed in Newport Beach and Dana Point many times(we live in Florida), but have never stayed in Laguna. We drove down from Malibu, and checked in during the late afternoon wine/appetizer time. We got the last available parking spot, which was behind the Inn, in tight "quarters", and up a very steep hill. The front desk desk clerk was very nice and personable. He told us to get a snack and some wine, then took us on a tour of the property. He walked us to our room, and reviewed the amenities.(Unfortunately he neglected to tell us there were ear plugs in the cottonball container-we really could have used them because of awful road noise!)
The room- on a side street, with outside wooden porch and table/chairs. We had a view of the houses across the street, and a distant view of the ocean from outside. The room was so small we couldn't open our suitcase except on the bed, or bathroom floor. There was no furniture with drawers for placing clothes. A gas fireplace was in the corner, and on another wall a small antique desk where we could sit. The closet was tiny also. There was a small fridge, & a tiled ledge area to put items on. Each room has a brass key. We decided to go back to the living/dining room area adjacent to the check in area, to meet fellow guests, and look through a book with local restaurant menus. We went to dinner later at "Javiers" in Crystal Cove-fabulous!
Upon returning to the Inn around 11 PM, no parking spots were open, so we had to park on the side street with a steep grade.
The street noise kept us awake most of the time during our two night stay. The wall unit A.C,, and the earplugs we bought, helped a little, but I woke up several times thinking a car had driven through our room. If you are used to sleeping in a quiet bedroom, staying in ANY hotel or inn, directly on the Pacific Coast Highway may hamper your sleep quality. The absolute wonderful part of the room was the extremely soft sheets on the bed. Guests like myself were so thrilled with the comfy sheets that we inquired at the front desk where we could get them. Guess what-you can order them from the hotel's web site!
Guests choose a time that is convenient with them for breakfast. Seating areas are in the main bldg. , outside under umbrella topped tables, or in one of the gorgeous courtyards. Lovely Spanish/smooth jazz music floats around the grounds and in the lobby. You can get your own coffee/tea/juice, at an outdoor area which is open all day. A waitress brings menus, and you choose from several options, including the lemon waffles, which is a "house favorite". The fritatta I had was bland, but I appreciated the fresh fruit. The menu was the exact same the next morning.
The office area only has one computer, but fortunately noone else was there the few times I needed to print something. We did not use the spa. We enjoyed two full days in the Laguna Beach area, including two art shows, walking on the beach, and taking the free tram from the front of the C.L. Inn, to the Canyon area, down to Dana Point, and back. This is a great service in the summer during the Pageant of the Masters Art Festival. We WERE given a map to Victoria Beach, and actually enjoyed walking through a very upscale housing area to get to the public access steps down to the beach. It would be awkward if you were dragging a cooler, chairs, etc.. but we just wanted to stroll on the sand and watch the glowing orange sunset.(My husband had an unexpected treat- a swimsuit photo shoot!)
A great thing about staying in a B&B style hotel is getting to meet pople from all over the world, to chat, and share travel stories. We enjoyed visiting with a couple from L.A., and one from Spain. I used to live in Spain, and love sharing travel info. The evenings were cool and the air refreshing.
If this Inn were in the countryside of Spain, with larger rooms, it would certainly be perfect. I can "deal with tight quarters" for a short time, but the noise factor was the major "bummer". Neither one of these factors can be changed by the hotel management. As "Casa Girl" states in her review replies, every hotel cannot meet the needs of every guest.
In summary, every employee we encountered was friendly, smiling, and helpful. Outstanding staff! The wine and snack time in the late afternoons was enjoyable, and a super way to meet fellow travelers. The wine and food is unlimited, which is nice. The breakfast service was superb, and most of the dishes tasty. The grounds are filled with lovely flowers, and joyous music fills the air. Courtyards reminded me of the 3 years I lived in Spain.
As also stated by the manager in her replies, alot of guests are couples coming down to Laguna from other areas in the Calif. area for a brief "get away". We also found many guests were from Europe. No kids-yeah!
The reason I did not give the Casa Laguna Inn "an excellent" is because of our tiny room, the awkward parking(but free-good!) situation, and the awful street noise. Otherwise, I think it is truly a charming, historical hotel and lovely B&B.

Room Tip: Choose the largest room available, in the back.(eastside)
Green Features: Love the recycling containers in rooms, and the refillable soap dispensers attached to wall
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank geezerhippie
We thank geezerhippie for her comprehensive fair and balanced review, and we are so pleased that this couple enjoyed their time with us. We are sorry to hear that their sensitivity to road noise kept them from getting a comfortable sleep. As we have said so many times, and as the majority of our reviews reflect, this is not a problem for the preponderance of our guests who sleep like babies on the luscious cloud-like beds this reviewer described. But ambient noise is something that all travelers should take into consideration when making reservations at any accommodation in an urban setting. We love that this couple was able to enjoy so much of what Casa Laguna and Laguna Beach has to offer, and we again thank them for their patronage and for sharing the details of their stay.
Bonita, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

A quaint B and B hotel, knew it a long time ago, went back with new owners and still has not lost its charm, very romantic!! the architecture is about the 40's nicely kept, has pool with view to the ocean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marissa P
We thank Marissa P for choosing Casa Laguna and for taking the time to share her thoughts about our inn through this forum.