“Noisy Hotel Laguna”
Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I found this hotel to be an old ocean street Hotel. While I did find its oldness nostalgic, I found it hard to sleep because the room we got was near the bar/restaurant. And on Friday and Saturday night they play music that comes right through the floor. Finally stopped at midnight. This makes the western rooms, nearest the ocean view, the worst. Family, a few doors down east, did not hear the noise.

Personally. I don't recommend hotels that value their bar clientele more than their hotel guests.

The continental breakfast was ok although the cereal dispenser did not work well.

2  Thank Keith B

Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is being rennovated, but we did not get a new room. The bathroom looked like a Motel 6 bathroom with the electrical plug near the floor and a very high mirror and no other mirror in the room. It looked like mold on the shower curtain and the window was broken and could have fallen from our second story room. I didn't know how to adjust the heat. It was an old heater. We were told the room was an upgrade, but the view was not what I expected. It is not ready for business travlers who need electrical outlets. It would have been nice to at least have a mirror to get ready for the wedding we attended.
The couple next door had an argument all night long and used profanity, slammed doors, sobbed, and hit the walls. We were afraid someone would get hurt. They would get quiet and then it would start up again. We called the desk but the noise went on for hours.
We were not allowed to bring in our ice chest. I like to have cold drinks, not alcohol, in the room.
It was the worst room we had ever had and it cost us $200!!

2  Thank ModestoSusan
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I could go on for days about this little Laguna Beach charmer!!! Having gone to school and lived in OC, I have had several opportunities to visit the Hotel Laguna. I live in LA now, but always make a point to stop in. Over the past year, they have truly undergone a makeover. It was always a great spot, but they have truly made it into a destination for families, couples, and a younger crowd! In college, we would stop in for lunch overlooking the ocean. It is beautiful and you really can't find another spot in Laguna with this view. Now being in my mid-late 20's, my friends and I thoroughly enjoy coming in for happy hour, cocktails, and their newly implemented late night happy hour. The staff is always kind and helpful, and truly want to make sure their guests are having a wonderful experience. The bartenders are awesome, as is the service in general. The drinks are insane and well priced, and they are always adding new additions. The food is delish, and the kitchen staff and servers are knowledgeable about food allergies. Back to the atmosphere, they even have live music at nighttime on the weekends, and it is a great hangout spot to come, relax, have a few drinks, and be in an incredible atmosphere. There is a
reason this hotel has been around forever...it changes with the times, and draws in a diverse crowd without the flashiness of other hotels in the area. Having stayed at the other hotels and been there for various functions, none make me feel at home. Hotel Laguna is truly a family, and you are a welcomed addition as soon as you walk in the door,

Room Tip: Talk to the wonderful front desk staff! They are super helpful, especially a woman named Varya.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sam L
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Yes this hotel is "old and outdated" but that is the charm of it. Small rooms, old furniture but who cares? Right on the beach in the middle of town with a fabulous view, delicious food, strong drinks in the bar. If you want a swanky experience go to the Ritz, but if you want an old school California experience come to Hotel Laguna. Our whole family was in town for an art show and we all loved it here (especially watching the sunset at Happy Hour!)

Room Tip: Bring your own fan for white noise or get one from the front desk
1  Thank sandiegosurfer273
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were so happy that we found this old grand dame of a hotel on Laguna beach. The rooms are small, not glamourous, but the view more than makes up for the size, ask for a room with a view. It is not a new or fancy hotel, but you can feel the ambiance and character and imagine what it was in days gone by, and the old Hollywood stars that stayed there. My husband and I travel the world, and we prefer quirky, so we loved it....just try to picture "Somewhere in Time". The staff was exceptional, from the front receiptionist to the parking attendent, they treated you as if they were welcoming back an old friend. I was dumbfounded by the prior reviews, these folks just couldn't appreciate a grand old lady of a hotel, not to mention the location just can't be beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean, you won't even notice that the room is small or the qui...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 12DLM2
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is an old run down hotel that charges and acts like it is a new and shiny hotel. I am tough on hotels but even my wife said this hotel was terrible. Check in was terrible. We had to call to find out where to park so we could unload the bags. There was no help offered by the valet.
The rooms were noisy from the street, the pipes in bathrooms were rusty and bath was unclean. The sink overflowed.
The noise did not stop after dark. They also charged us for everything including the portable crib. We had two rooms so our bill was $300 plus a night. I do not expect to be charged for a crib at that rate. The food was way over priced for what it was.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night.. that was enough! The plumbing in the shower was drip, drip all night. i had to clean the dust from the door and wipe the floors in the bathroom. Certainly didn't expect it to be in such poor condition. For a city of art, there's no art on the walls. the bed was clean, but the furniture was not just old, but chipped and ugly. No class to this place! Paint was peeling from the doors and trim. I lived in Laguna some years ago and passed this place many times. I expected that it would be better maintained. I called and they said all the rooms were remodeled. Not so! Wouldn't stay there again even though it was convenient to main beach.

Room Tip: Don't expect modern and upscale appearances in the rooms. You'll only find that in the dini...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple