“Wanted to like this place as it is close to our home in La Quinta”
Review of Soul of China

Soul of China
Ranked #52 of 123 Restaurants in La Quinta
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Wow this was probably the worst Chinese food I have had in my entire life (45 yrs old). I thought we would enjoy a night off from cooking in and have ourselves a treat. I must admit in hindsight
I would have rather shopped for ingredients, spent hours prepping/cooking and cleaning than have eaten this food. What a disappointment.

What we had:
egg drop soup (no taste and virtually no egg, more broth like)
sweet and sour (no taste and not spicy)
Pork chow fun (no taste whatsoever even the pork)
chicken with broccoli (no taste whatsoever and the chicken was dry like a shoe to boot)*
I even ordered it spicy so it would have a little flavor and instead it had zero spice.

We kept reaching for our salt and pepper shaker which still didn't offer any changes to the taste.

On a positive note, the restaurant appeared clean and the server was friendly. Our take out order was packaged well and was warm.

If this was an off night it was really off. Unfortunately I will never return to the establishment and wish I could erase the decision to try it. A paper bag would have had more flavor.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Food is great but difficult to enjoy because the seating is so uncomfortalle. So rarely go. Would go often, once or maybe twice a week if the seating was comfortable. Also service is great. We still can enjoy it once in awhile.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This little place is a hidden gem.....looks like a nothing Chinese place BUT. Go in side and although most people get food to go, is it nicely decorated, with linen and subtle koi decor. Greated the second we walked in. Big menu, fresh an tasty. Orange beef gently cooked NOT overcooked as I've had at other places. Cashew chicken with lots of cashews not like four. Wine and beer list. Family business that could use more business. GO! Try sample platter, great for tasting a few different things. Personal service, to check if all is ok?

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had a $25 gift certificate from restaurants.com. My friend and I went into the restaurant during the dinner hour. Only two other people were seated. Not a good sign. Before ordering I presented the certificate. The server walked away with the certificate and keyed in the validation code in a back room. She returned saying it had been redeemed six weeks earlier. Since I had never been to the restaurant I did not believe her. The restaurant would not honor the certificate. Did I feel cheated? Yes. We left and I will never return to this restaurant.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The veggies in the wonton soup were fresh and not precook sitting there all day. Their low-fat menu options were delicious.This is a great healthy dinner option while staying in La Quinta.