“Nice sense of place”

La Quinta Cliffhouse Grill and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
La Quinta Cliffhouse Grill and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 123 Restaurants in La Quinta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington Street
Description: From the moment you approach the Cliffhouse you are surrounded by the dramatic sights and sounds of this desert destination. Jutting from a massive rock outcropping above the desert floor the Cliffhouse is renowned for its spectacular views across the valley and providing a lively, casual destination to enjoy a menu of American classics with innovative preparations focused on premium steaks and seafood at great prices. The historic ranch house ambiance complete with a massive fireplace, expansive windows and rustic beamed ceilings creates a warm welcoming environment from which to gaze at the magnificent mountains, share a meal and conversation and stay awhile. The menu highlights vibrant flavors from the valley along with a generous selection of fresh fish and seafood. The wine list has been thoughtfully chosen to complement the food and provide reasonably priced selections including rare and limited bottles.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Sometimes the restaurant could be anywhere in the world and you wouldn't know it. We had a lovely meal on the patio, next to a rocky cliff that was definitely desert. The food was good, the service was great. The bar was backed up and we had to go looking for the wine that should have come with our entres and the management ended up comping the round. All in all, a nice spot that felt like we were more remote than we were. We would come back for sure.

1  Thank Sarah K

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I went to the restaurant for the first time. It is a beautiful restaurant with large spacious room with high ceillings, large windows and a spectacular waterfall outside. The nice bar is perfect for happy hours. The food was simply amazing. The presentation was a continuation of surprises one after the other. If you are serious about good food, excellent service and wonderful setting, it is a unique environment. I recommended.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This resturant sits on a hill near the tennis complex in La Quinta. They have a very nice patio and they keep it at a nice temp with the misters. We had the happy hour food and it was very good the service was very prompt and good . The food we had was prepared very well and tasty. I had a burger very big with a lot of good fries, also onion rings that were prepared very well. and a Caesar salad that was very well prepared. My wife had the pulled Chicken Sandwich which she said was very good. They had 5.00 wine chardannay very good abd several beers also priced right. We went on a Sunday and they had happy hour all night long . This place is a very well run and the service was good food good and you could not beat the price. Just a very nice place to go

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I visited the Cliffhouse twice this week, one for a birthday dinner with the husband and once for Happy Hour with friends. The birthday meal was delicious. I ordered the catfish and he had the salmon. Both were prepared and plated very well. For dessert I had the Peach Cobbler with burbon gelato and my hubby had the Lemon Cross Pie. He loves lemon so I was surprised when he said it was really tart. He ate it all and thought it was good but quite tart even for him. Mine was just okay and I left half of the rather large portion. We ordered coffee with desert and there was a glitch somewhere in the brewing. They seemed to brew one cup at a time which made it fresh with every cup but it seemed odd. Minor detail...
Great view.....excellent meal...fair to pricey value..we spent $120.00.

Three days later I did Happy Hour with 2 out of town girlfriends. The lounge was full so they offered to seat us in the waiting area with menus. When my friend cracked her knee trying to get a footstool closer to the short table, they opened up another area and moved us there. It soon filled up. My friends had health issues and were pretty annoying with the happy hour menu but the waitress took it all in stride and they ordered from the dinner menu. I had the salad with a salmon steak on it ( my favorite) and it was great. One friend had scallops. One had a grilled chicken salad. The scallops smelled very fishy when they arrived and had been cooked in loads of butter ,when the order was for olive oil. They had to be sent back.
The chicken was a bit dry. I felt pretty bad for the waitress who took all the complaining with grace. My friends paid for my dinner so I didn't know the cost of the meal or tip, but when they turned their backs to leave, I tossed another $20.00 on the table to add to the tip just because the waitress was sooooooo professional. :)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Cliff House is in a beautiful setting. We had a dinner there that, and while not bad, was wholly unremarkable, The prices are way too high to have food that is so unimaginative. The service was also below the standards I would have expected.