“Very nice course”

La Quinta Mountain Course
More attraction details
Owner description: A challenging 18-hole course.
San Diego, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Very nice course”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Just played the La Quinta Mountain course. Excellent course. The fairways are in great shape. The greens were slow and a couple of them didn't survive the re-sodding that was done, but overall they still rolled very true and didn't cause any issues. The Mountain course is a little hotter than other courses since it is right up against the mountain and the rocks act like brick ovens. But it's a beautiful course and a fun layout.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank mrwolfinca

Montgomery, AL
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Beautiful, fun course. Best in the area.”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I played the Mountain Course with some buddie on a golf trip in July of 2011. This is the off season for the area, so the green fees were extremely reasonable and it was very easy to find tee times to fit our group's schedule.
There were not many negatives to this course, but I'll get them out of the way first. Because if was the off season, it seemed that everything closed very early. On the day we played, we had three groups teeing off at 1:00. They did not have a cart girl on the course (I believe the vehicle broke down that morning) and it was very hot. We stopped at the clubhouse at the turn (around 3:30) and everything was closed. Restaurant was closed. Bar was closed. We were not able to get anything to eat or drink in the middle of the afternoon except for some crackers and a coke in the pro shop. There were more than enough people on the course for them to kept at least one person working the bar area until we got off the course.
The only other negative about the course is that the driving range does not allow anything but irons to be hit. I would have liked to have been able to hit a few drives before playing, but this was not permissible on the short range.
Beyond these two items, I have nothing negative to say about this beautiful course. I have never played a course with better scenery. The course literally winds its way through mountains for almost the entire 18 holes. We played the Mountain Course, the Stadium Course, and the Nicklaus Tournament Course on our trip and this was my favorite of the group.
Beyond being a pretty course, it is also extremely fun to play. I'm a fairly high handicapper, but I did not find the course to challenging to have fun. This length of the course is easily manageable. There is certainly plenty of trouble out there, but if you're hitting good shots, you can make a good score on this course. It's not nearly as tricked-up as the Stadiuim Course. I had a tough time on the greens, but that was my fault. They were running very fast, but true.
I also thought the service at the Mountain Course was more than adequate. Everyone was nice and helpful while we were there. The GPS on the carts is excellent, and ice water jugs are on every cart (you'll need them if you play when we did).
All in all, this was one of my favorite courses I have ever played. I would encourage everone in the area to play a round out there. It would be #1 on my list in the area by a long shot.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank TomMontgomery
San Diego, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“This place is great . Cannot wait to go back”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We loved everything about this course. Great staff. Carts came with super gps and a water jug. Course was spectatcular but not too difficult so that the average golfer can have fun. Great burgers in the club house

Visited June 2011
1 Thank mcdewey
Phoenix
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Mountain Course is terrific!”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Played at the Mountain Course on New Years Eve 2010 and I glad to say it is very nice. Great service , great views from several holes, and great course conditions. The staff is courteous and professional and the clubhouse and dining room are top notch.
The course starts in the shadow of the mountains then gradually finds its way up into the canyons where the views are fantastic. The course is fair w/o any tricky holes and all your shots are right there in front of you, you just need to hit the shot. My only knock is that the green surfaces are very hard, too hard for a resort course in my opinion. You will need to bring your shots in high and soft to hold these greens!
We stayed at the resort on the "stay and play package" which allows unlimited golf at 5 courses and meals there and at PGA West which was a smoking deal...definitely check out this package!

1 Thank AZTIM
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Truly a beautiful course with a great veiw of the mountains”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

As soon as I drove to the parking lot of the Mountain Course, there were people greeting me as they put my clubs on the cart, and took them to the driving range, the driving range is has a relaxing view, and grass was nice and soft. Then when we drove our cart over to the first hole, we were able to start right away. The carts have very impressive GPS systems, they tell you how far from the hole you are, the pin placement, and they tell you the CBS sports scores, and it can even measure your drives and you can use it as a scorecard, the carts also have water bins so when you get thirsty you can just grab a drink. The price is a little spendy but it is sure worth it, when I went two days ago the pin placement was very tough, and the greens are truly challenging, and we weren't waiting for the groups ahead, nor was the group behind us. The view was spectacular. The courses fairways are in great condition and the rough is at a good length also. After we were finished they cleaned our clubs and brought them back up to the parking lot. The Mountain Course really is an experience you need to try.

3 Thank jjhanlon