“This Place Needs a Renovation”

Residence Inn La Mirada Buena Park
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in La Mirada
South San Francisco, California, USA
“This Place Needs a Renovation”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Marriott needs to renovate this place! This place is falling apart!!

Cleanliness - 3 stars since things were fairly clean.

Location - 3 stars since place is less than 1 mile from my workplace and there is an In & Out Burger next door.

Rooms - 2 stars since place is old with old bed, old sofa, old TV, old lamps, old stove, old microwave. The only good thing about the room is the free internet and safe.

Service - 4 stars since staff was friendly.

Value - 2 stars since there are other hotels near by that offers better value.

Sleep quality - 1 star since mattress has been used for so long that it just sinks down and the pillows go flat quickly. In addition, if your room is on the ground floor, then you will definitely hear the person on the second floor and feel the loud vibration when that person walks around (thump! thump! thump!). And the air conditioner unit right outside the window (next to the bed) is quite annoying as it goes on and off during the night.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Morongo Valley, CA
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This room was not Marriott quality. old tv, old bedding, not like any other Residence Inn I have stayed at. There were so many kids, teenagers yelling and milling around, all from a soccer team, yes, but kids everywhere. Breakfast was not doable due to all the noise of the kids and their taking over the whole breakfast bar. Will not stay at this hotel again and have learned to check the category types. This was a category 3, and though the security guards responded quickly, I shouldn't have even had to make that call. Very disappointed with this particular hotel, especially when there are tons of other hotels nearby. noise from nearby theme park? sounded like explosions going off. ask to not be put next to freeway or Firestone Blvd.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these La Mirada hotels

Alabama
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Pros: very freindly/helpful staff; very clean room; great room amenities; quiet area; free food was excellent; good room rates.

Cons: none really. The place is kind of old (1992 I think), but that didn't matter in the end. It's been well maintained and updated.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Northern California
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We were down in Southern California on a vacation of 1 week. We planned to use the hotel as our base of operations as we visited different attractions in the area. We made arrangements via phone and since the Courtyard didn't have the room setup we needed, the person on the phone recommended the Residence Inn. I haven't stayed in this class of hotel (Extended Stay), so my review will be based on my past experiences and expectations for regular hotels.

The location of the hotel is a more industrial area, but right off the freeway. This turned out to be very convenient and quiet. The facility seemed to be fairly empty, so parking was really easy. We were usually right in front of our room.

Check-in was a breeze and the quoted rate was charged. They have a "heated" pool, but I wouldn't swim in it during the winter. The spa was wonderful, especially after a day of running around at the various locations we visited.

The room was clean and orderly. The carpets were very worn, however and really needed repair or replacement. Caulking in the bathroom was also in dire need of replacement, also.

I had to reboot the router in the room, but having a dedicated DSL line in the room was great. I was able to use the wireless or the wired. I typically like to use the wired to avoid security issues since I'm usually on my work network.

The beds were awful and I was really let down by their quality. We had 2 rooms and both beds were terrible. I'm not sure if they were just old or of poor quality. I've had much better luck with beds at other Marriott properties.

One layout issue was there were no bathrooms nearby for users of the pool area. Small issue, but with kids it was kind of a pain. It also makes me wonder how many people decided not to walk back to their rooms to use the bathroom and just use the pool and spa to relieve themselves...

I was very grateful that they provided ice for our small cooler a couple of times when we needed it, but there were no guest-accessible ice machines, besides the ice makers in the refrigerator's freezers.

Our room was also pretty far from the pool/laundry/office, so I got some extra walking time!

I also would have appreciated a binder with decent descriptions of the amenities and the local restaurants as regular hotels provide, but they only gave me a sheet of paper with very little on it.

The fireplace was a nice touch and we took advantage! The central heat didn't really seem to work well, but to be fair I didn't press them on it.

Overall, it was a fair suite for a reasonable price, but with some opportunities to improve. If beds are an issue, be wary of this place, especially if you have a sensitive back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BigD_CA
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 10, 2009

This property seems like (and may well be) an old motel that Marriott purchased and converted to a Residence Inn. The location is in an industrial park right next to the highway, and it definitely didn't seem well-lit at night. The breakfast was good and I liked the fact that they had some healthy options. The staff was very friendly, but I was surprised my "upgraded" room was a ground floor room right next to the laundry room and housekeeping suite. The TV in my bedroom did not work correctly, and the room itself was very basic / no frills. From the decor to the appliances, everything looked a bit dated to me. My biggest beef with the property is what you pay here. Even on a discounted corporate rate, I paid more than colleagues attending the same business meeting who stayed a very nice full service hotels like the Sheraton for less. Those hotels are certainly in nicer areas with more dining, shopping, and entertainment options around. At the end of the day, this hotel was fine, but I saw first hand two better properties in the area that I would definitely lean towards next time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank GaTechYellowJacket
Twin Cities
Reviewed August 31, 2009

The rooms are very well maintained. Breakfast is more than okay, full menu : waffles, oatmeal, yogurt, sausages, potatoes, fruits, you name it. They even give free supper with wine and beer too every weekday! The bad thing is that all their housekeeping staff do not speak English and our guess is that they are not very well trained. These are the couple of things that happened to us that made us rethink again of the huge brand name MARRIOTT.
First, we found a used pillow behind our couch, it looked like it had been there for sometime. So we figured the staff is not thorough in cleaning the rooms. Second, the room we were in made very loud noises, like the dishwasher made noises every hour even when it is not active. The piping also made so much noise everytime we finish shower. Third, one day we came back from disneyland at around 6 pm and found that all our carpets were wet, there was a note on the table that said that the carpet had just been washed. Then, we found that all of our suitcases AND SHOES, were left on our BEDS !!! We had a 2 bedroom suite so we did have a number of luggages and shoes. And as if that was not enough to send us to our necks, we also found our hand-carry bags ON TOP OF our LAPTOPS, which are then put by SHOES ON TOP OF those bags !! I mean, first of all, why would you make all the carpets wet while we were still there for at least another 5 days. And why didn't they confirm with us first ? And how inappropriate it is for them to place shoes and suitcases on our beds ?!! We are very clean people, we don't even walk inside the room with our shoes on! So anyway, we did complained to the front office staff in the morning (because the carpet was STILL WET at that point), and the way that these staff responded was very unprofessional too. They looked terrified and just said sorry. And later that day they send some cookies and an apology note to our rooms. We think that that was not enough, knowing that MARRIOTT was such a big name.. We have stayed in other hotels such as the MARCOPOLO, HYATT, or WESTIN, etc, and made smaller, minor complaints, and received upgrades or free stays as gestures of their apologies. But then again, these were in Asia, and I do believe and have noticed that the hospitality industry in the US is not as service oriented as it is in Asia.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I stayed at the Residence Inn for three nights this October for business. I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel, and I want to recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hotel in La Mirada. The hotel looks more like an apartment complex than a hotel.

The rooms were quite spacious, and the full size kitchen was wonderful when I wanted to make my own dinner. The rooms have a fridge, dishwasher, sink, microwave, and two stovetops. There is also an "In-N-Out" burger stand next door to the hotel.

The bed was decent, not the most comfortable bed I've slept in... but it wasn't bad either.

The continental breakfast was adequate. A rather basic breakfast meal, but filling. I recommend the breakfast potatoes slices.

• Liked — Spacious hotel rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Zanika2005
Good Nite Inn Buena Park
#2 of 19 in Buena Park
La Quinta Inn & Suites Buena Park
Holiday Inn Buena Park Hotel & Conference  Center

Been to Residence Inn La Mirada Buena Park? Share your experiences!