“Terrible service - Big dissapointment for a Holiday Inn! Stay somewhere else....”

Holiday Inn La Mirada
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in La Mirada
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I would never reccomend this hotel to anyone. The service at the front desk was terrible. Not friendly or helpful. The pool and hot tub dirty, water was brown. The only good point is that there was a Red Robin resturant at this hotel. Rooms had Holiday Inn a bad review, They need to go in and evaluate the hotel management and help.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2009

Our high school band recently stayed at this hotel during our spring break trip to Disneyland. The band attended a workshop in the back stage area and performed at a stage in Disney. There was another band there also, so I don't know if this is a common hotel for groups if that's something you want to stay away from. The hotel was very close to the highway to get to Disney and I do believe they have a shuttle from the hotel. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. However, the door to the room is VERY heavy and seems dangerous for smaller children, so be careful. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The staff was all very friendly. We did have an issue with the thermostat in one of the rooms which did require 2 phone calls to the front desk, but it was fixed. There is a Red Robin attached to the hotel, which has a breakfast buffet. The buffet had eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, pastries, fresh fruit, juice and yogurt every day. There were a couple entrees that changed each day. The staff there was very friendly as well. Since we were part of a group, I can't address the cost of the hotel or the buffet.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed April 4, 2009

My family (4 kids wife and I) stayed in the hotel while we vacationed at Disneyland and thought the rooms were nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was very convenient to have Red Robin attached to the hotel and kids eat for free. The complaint about the hotel is they do not have refrigerators in the rooms and no continental breakfast. When you are in a hurry to get 4 kids fed and off to Disneyland or anywhere it is very inconvenient to sit down and order breakfast.

I would not recommend this hotel to friends with families only because of convenience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I stayed there one night while traveling on business. When my flight to LA finally got in, I ended up arriving about 2:30 A.M. Staff was right there at the front desk, something that you do not always find at that early/(late?) hour. Check in was a snap!

Location: The hotel is located adjacent to the I-5 southbound exit on Firestone Blvd. Notice the southbound exit is mentioned by another reviewer. Firestone Blvd is on both sides of the I-5, with each side being a two way street. In essence, there are two Firestone Blvds! Northbound travelers beware, as the hotel may be hard to find (first you have to find a nearby bridge that crosses I-5 to get to it).

The general area seems OK with many businesses (non-retail/offices) around it. If you do not eat in, a restaurant is nearby.

Hotel: Since I had business the next morning, needless to say, my stay was very short. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The bed was comfy and the hotel quiet, even the next morning. As another reviewer commented, the room was very spacious. The bathroom was clean and bright.

There is a restaurant on premises, but no free food (e.g. "continental style breakfast" many othe hotels offer). The breakfast prices were did not seem to be overly inflated as often found in other hotels though and it was "real" cooked food.

My only real gripe about the place is that the wireless internet did not work. It was so slow as to make just doing e-mail almost impossible (some did get through). This was just not my room as a travel companion commented the same the next morning. Later on I attempted to connect when in the lobby lounge between meetings. No dice. FREE internet accessibility is a must for business travelers, therefore, the hotel loses a "star" for this failure.

Overall though, it is a nice place that is at a location that could be kind of tricky to find for some. I'd stay there again if I do not need to access the internet.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Overall I have to say that the staff was very friendly and helpful when needed.
I had requested a fridge in our room for my boyfriend who is diabetic. It was not in the room when we arrived, so we called down to the front desk and it was brought up immediately.
There is a Red Robin on property which is nice, but not a free breakfast for guests at the Hotel. This is the only Holiday Inn I have been to that does not offer some kind of breakfast to their guest. A little disappointed.
The hotel is nestled in an industrial area with 2 restaurants across the street and easy access to the freeways.
The Woods Inn Restaurant across the street was way overpriced for proportion size. My boyfriend and I ordered off the appetizer menu and he got a bowl of soup and our bill was $60 before the gratuity. Not worth it.

THe hotel pool is only open until 10pm. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to use due to this. Other Holiday Inns the pool is open 24 hours to adults and closes for children at 10 or 11. Was looking forward to a soak after spending all day walking at Disneyland, Hollywood and Venice beach.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2008

This place has decent, clean rooms. Nice refurbishing, although the carpet is old school and flowery (and you can tell). Colors and decor were nice, including in the bathroom.

The only thing that ruined it for us was how the staff (well, one staff member in particular...her name was Raquel) treated us. When we checked in around 4:00pm on Saturday, it was fast and easy...but when we got to our room (with windows that do not open), it was really stuffy and hot -- because our AC was on the fritz. We called downstairs to get a room change, and were denied (not sure why, we were checking in relatively early compared to other people...and the parking lot was pretty empty). She flat out said, "No, I can't." I'm not sure how you can justify saying this to a customer, and not offer any help until they request it specifically, which we did.

Instead of sending someone up to fix our AC unit right away (the thermostat is modern and on the wall, but for some reason was not connecting with the AC unit attached to the bottom of the window), we were asked to wait around because she "didn't know where the repairman was", although later on, he showed up...wearing a walkie-talkie, so it's obvious she could've tracked him down. Two concierge guys came upstairs to look at our thermostat, but they just pushed the buttons as futilely as I had). The repairman didn't come upstairs until we demanded he arrive right away to fix our unit, by calling Raquel back downstairs.

On Sunday after checking out, we discovered that we'd left two shirts behind in the room. I called the hotel back, and asked, "If I come back in an hour, could you have the shirts downstairs in the lobby?"

I was told by the front desk agent (Annette) that it was definitely possible, but when we arrived, the shirts were not there. In fact, I was asked to go up to the room myself and see if they were there. When I couldn't locate them (they had already been through the room and removed the shirts), they asked me to come back ANOTHER hour later. My boyfriend was livid. He asked Raquel at the front desk (same girl on the shift the previous day...apparently, Annette was busy) to locate his shirts, and she informed him, "The cleaning staff is on lunch, I don't know where your shirts are."

I think it would have been one thing if the staff (Raquel in particular) had made obvious efforts in trying to assist us. That would have been fine. But the remarks/responses we received in trying to receive service reflected that she wasn't going to be helpful, and that we were on our own, although it was something she could have assisted us with.

It's too bad -- the hotel itself is nice. It's the service that totally brings it down!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Was presently surprised with the hotel. We arrived after 11am trying to get a room early, no luck so my hubby and I went to work out in their gym. Great flat screen TVs in workout room with 3 elipticals and treadmills with some free weights. Had towels as well as cold water, only the first day of our stay. I asked as so did my husband for towels and cups the 2nd and 3rd day, but never had them delivered. Oh well, that was the only major complaint.

Desk clerk came in about 30 minutes later saying they had a 2 bed room available but we would have to wait until 3 for a king room. We said the 2 bed would be fine.

Nice room, comfortable beds with 8 pillows, down comforter, nice furnishing. Step above regular Holiday Inn Hotels, the bathroom was very big.

Shuttle service was quick, free, and would take you anywhere (Disneyland, Knotts) within a ten mile radius. Don't forget to tip the driver, even a dollar. It amazes me that huge families with tons of kids forgot this little step. Tip a little!

Do not eat at the Red Robin downstairs. It was filthy and the service was bad. Do go to the Elephant Bar across the street or at least the In n Out down the street.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center
Knott's Berry Farm Hotel
Knott's Berry Farm Hotel
#2 of 19 in Buena Park

Been to Holiday Inn La Mirada? Share your experiences!