“A wonderful find!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Though it's only a half hour drive from where my wife & I live, we'd never really visited La Mirada. Today, however, we attended an afternoon event at the La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts (a lovely venue; highly recommended) and, after checking TripAdvisor as usual, we decided to take fellow members advice and have an early dinner at Mr. V's Bar & Grill. Thank you!!! What a wonderful find! We arrived for our 4:30 reservation and the free valet service hadn't quite started yet but there was ample parking in the adjacent lot. The restaurant itself has lovely ambiance: dark wood decor with red roman blinds, a beautiful full bar and comfortable padded booths. The staff was very polite and our server, Katie, was right on top of things whether it was having our drinks refilled or recommending meal selections. The portions are VERY large so we passed on a starter even though the Baked Brie Crostini (served with garlic bread and a spicy Arabiata sauce) had my mouth watering. My wife ordered the Chicken Marsala based on Katie's advise and I ordered a cup of their house made clam chowder topped with a shredded cheese blend with the Blackened Halibut with garlic mashed potatoes & veggies as my entree. Within a minute, a basket of bread arrived at our table accompanied with butter. But this bread differed from most restaurants: it was obviously freshly baked, just out of the oven. It was still steaming when it arrived! ROCKIN' !!! I've had my fair share of New England clam chowder during our travels back east and I've gotta tell ya: Mr. V's is right up there with the best of them. When our entrees arrived (very quickly... no Beverly Hills 45 minute wait here, folks!) both of us just looked at eachother for a minute. I told you the portions were big but, MAN, my ginormous slab o' halibut (perfectly cooked) took up half of the large plate! And the wife's Chicken Marsala? Well, let's just say she'll get about 3 meals out of that! On the back of our theatre tickets was a special offer for a free dessert with the order of an entree so, as overly stuffed as we were, we decided to split a slice of cheesecake after Katie presented us with a view of the dessert tray (creme brulee, tiramasu, and other goodies). At probably 2 or 3 times the size of your normal restaurant slice (topped with raspberries and drizzled with a berry sauce) half of that came home with us along with the other two doggie bags! Upon arriving home, Scooter (my faithful cat side-kick) insisted upon sampling the halibut to see if it held up to the high standards of his finnicky feline palate. It did. The next time my brother & his wife come up to the beach to visit us, Mr. V's will be our go-to spot! Safe travels, fellow Trippers, hope to write another review soon!

3  Thank JungleBoyJohnny
There are newer reviews for Mr. V's Bar & Grill

Reviewed October 25, 2010

A really extra nice, upscale restaurant.... black leather booths.... nice carpeting, good linens and silver. Great menu selection and all we have tried were excellent. They also have a menu of $19.95 specials, perhaps 12 items that are 3 course dinners and are a real bargain. My wife claims that the lamb shank is the best she's ever had. Valet parking is free (but they are nice guys and deserve a tip.)

2  Thank Shaperos