“great service, clean, comfortable, convenient, excellent value”
Review of Lodge Of La Mesa

Lodge Of La Mesa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
new jersey
“great service, clean, comfortable, convenient, excellent value”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

staff was exteremely helpful and courteous; very convenient to highways; nice, clean rooms; good value; they may be putting in a fitness center in the near future

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I've done (mystery shopping) customer service evaluations in higher end hotels and this had them ALL beat!! Every bit as comfortable at a fraction of the price.
The rooms are VERY VERY clean and the service is outstanding!!
I would travel a bit out of my way to stay here in the future - it's well worth it!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed November 16, 2009

* Very clean rooms and corridors.
* I had requested some special items in the room and found those in the room.
* Nice complimentary breakfast.
* Polite manager at reception.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Stayed here for recovery after surgery and quickly noticed their high ratings were mainly because of the low nightly rates and attractive, clean rooms. That is a good cover for the hidden cameras that are in the room (look at all fixtures, especially in bathroom, behind mirrors, sprinklers, fire alarms, etc) Also, there is a camera pointing to the outdoor pool from the building that can see into the guest rooms when the curtains are open. The staff takes the opportunity to voyeur in on you, at that point.
I lit a candle in the room and 10 seconds later, hotel staff phones my room at midnight to say there were complaints of smoking in the room and that I must leave immediately. I was 2 days post-op from cancer surgery and they ordered me out to the street, a single young female, AT MIDNIGHT without helping me carry my luggage out, seeing I was struggling.
I was also fined $150 for these supposed "numerous complaints from day 1" about smoking. And was told I was "seen" OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING with my friend, who was smoking.
I had a 24 hr nurse with me after surgery so no chance ANYONE was smoking. This was clearly discriminatory and the only way to see a lighter go off (for a candle) was if there were cameras in the rooms.
The hallways were also lined with black domed cameras, which seemed a bit overkill for a tiny 2 star hotel in a quiet burb of San Diego. Beware. There comes a price with everything that seems too good to be true.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
20 Thank hotelauditor2009

Travelers are raving about these La Mesa hotels

WA
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We were very impressed. Stayed four people in one room for two nights as a conclusion to our 15 night trip around California and Vegas. I usually stay in a Best Western but had read good reviews about this place so decided to give it a try. Glad I stayed here. Price: $102 for 2 nights/ 4 people including all taxes.

The Good: This hotel is very clean throughout and they also seem to put a big emphasis on making this place smell fresh. Even the elevator had a freshener thingy hanging there making it smell nice. No weird odors, musty, or smoky smells either. Very nice.
The decor in the lobby is tastefully done- decor in the rooms just average. Everything seemed to be new. A care package with a personalized welcome letter was waiting in our room when we arrived. Also, had complimentary makeup removing towelletes in the bathroom which was an unusual but very pleasant surprise. There was a very good bar area and refrigerator in the room bigger than average. Also, free internet and an average breakfast.
There was a Mexican place (Rosaritos) and a Thai kitchen right next door. I ate at the Mexican place and the food was alright- the price was definitely very cheap $7 and the portion was huge. I'd eat there again if I was very hungry and my friends leave me without a car, again:).
-The reception by Oscar was very helpful and he seemed to have a vested interest in the hotel because he tried very hard to make us happy with our stay- so my guess is he's either a manager or owner. Pleasant guy.

The Bad: The elevator was super slow. My bed seemed to have a slight dip in the middle which made me roll slightly toward the middle- it wasn't very nice considering I was sharing a bed. The shower water temperature fluctuated slightly the whole time you showered- but this was a very minor thing.

Overall: The hotel was very quiet and because of how clean and smell free it was I felt comfortable staying here. If they keep it at this unbelievable price I will definitely stay here again when visiting San Diego or Tijuana.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank JennWA
OR
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed here for three nights and was very pleased to find that the reviews I read were accurate. I have stayed in $150 a night hotels that were not as nice as this, and I paid less than that for THREE (3) nights! The staff were excellent and the room was great. I talked with several others at my same conference staying in different hotles near by and the Travelodge was superior in almost every way. There is no pool or fitness center but for the price - it cannot be beat.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank gz23
ARIZONA
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I booked two rooms (two queen beds each room) though Priceline. I checked in one room in the afternoon for two adults. When my wife checked in the other room for 2 adults and two kids at night, the manager got mad and said it was too many people and he didn't want to do business with us. He required us leave "my property immediately" otherwise he "will call police". The behavior of the manager was so weird. He totally messed up my family's vacation in San Diego! Nightmare experience in this place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area
Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego

Been to Lodge Of La Mesa? Share your experiences!