“An Honest Appraisal of this Travelodge”
Review of Lodge Of La Mesa

Lodge Of La Mesa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was looking for a place to take my wife and grandson for a week. Didn't realize that the "Comicon Convention" would be at this time period. At any rate hotels were either sold out or too expensive because of "Comicon" and then we found the Travelodge in La Mesa at a fairly reasonable rate. Reading the reviews made us scratch our heads. Some were great and some were horrible and I think some were pretty biased. I have traveled professionally for over 30 years and have stayed at hotels from Hyatts to Motel 6, so I have a good understanding of hotels and what to expect. Therefore I want to share what I think will be a really useful review. First, the neighborhood is just fine and there should be no concern for anyone who wishes to take a walk or walk to the shopping center a block away that has a Von's Supermarket, Pizza Hut and Round Table Pizza. Right next door is a very good Mexican Restaurant Rosaritos #3. We actually began to really like the whole LaMesa area. The parking lot seems adequate and there were always plenty of spaces. If it were to be full there are plenty of places to park nearby. The facade tells you that this is not a new hotel but it has been maintained. There are three floors. Lobby and living level for owners and workers. Floors 1 & 2 for guests. The rooms were quite a bit larger than a standard hotel/motel room making it seem much more comfortable for a longer stay. All areas were well maintained and clean. Please keep in mind at all times the price level of this property is quite inexpensive. The TV's are not flat screen but they are quite acceptable and you receive 70 cable channels as well as HBO. You can connect a DVD player via RCA jacks on the back. WiFi was available in all areas and the signal was better than you find in most hotels. Each room has a small kitchen area with bar sink, microwave and refrigerator. This is an excellent added value. The pool, while on the small side, was very well maintained, nice seating for parents and also had umbrellas for the sun. During our stay we nearly had the pool to ourselves. The breakfast area is small but was never crowded and all the nights we were there the hotel was sold out. The offerings are meager but certainly in line with the hotel price point. Raisn Bran and Frosted Flakes cereal. Muffins, toast and bagels. Excellent waffle batter and waffle maker. Orange juice and apple juice was greatly watered down. Apples and oranges were of a poor quality. I think what I found most annoying were the negative signs and tone. One sign says they will not accept cash. Another says no check-in until 4:00PM no exceptions. If rooms are ready, why not? When I checked in I was required to pay in full at that time. They ran my credit card and gave me a receipt for the week. I asked what would happen if I decided to leave early and they said they would issue a refund. In 30 years of traveling I don't think I have ever had to pay in full upon check-in. Beware of a promotion that provides a "Zoo Pass" for a child if you stay a certain number of nights. I assumed (wrongly so) that this meant the San Diego Zoo. Not even close and the front desk people pretty much dumped the blame on me for not reading all of the fine print. All in all, I would stay here again. I honestly think it is an excellent value for the dollars keeping in mind that San Diego is expensive to begin with. I would also request the top floor. This hotel is frame built and it can be noisy if someone is walking around above you. Additionally I would request a room on the back side of the hotel. The street side can be noisy. On the back side we were able to have our windows open every night and enjoy the cool night air.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor and back side of hotel for the quietest room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank jwkrengel

Reviewed July 9, 2012

For anyone traveling to San Diego, I would not recommend Travel Lodge in La Mesa. They do not announce a very large mandatory deposit over third party travel sites. For us the deposit requested was $2 higher than the actual room rate! When we called Travel Lodge customer care, they were very friendly and tried to help out. But, the manager at the La Mesa site would not budge and was even rude to the corporate customer care personnel. Then the manager canceled our reservation without asking us while we were on the phone with customer care. When the third party travel site called he lied to them and told them we refused to check in. The end result was we were left 3 hours from home without a room. We were helped to find another hotel by the Travel Lodge Customer Care line. The La Mesa site was horrendous. It cut our vacation a day short, and almost cost us our vacation all together.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank T S
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed in June 2012 for one night to allow us a day surfing in Oceanside. It's a typical motel near a freeway (so a bit noisy if you are kept awake by the hum of traffic), but the room we stayed in had been recently refurbished so was actually very nice. Breakfast consists of coffee and pastries (and the coffee machine was broken the day we were there), so don't plan on not having to get breakfast elsewhere. However, in fairness, the quality of the room at such a low price outweighed the other gripes, hence the 4 rating.

Room Tip: Best to go for the block furthest from the freeway
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian N
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We've stayed here on various occasions without problems but never again. After a fun day in the San Diego area, we returned to the hotel only to find the whole block area without power. The lobby was pitch black and nobody was around to explain what was happening and to ensure customers were safe. Fortunately we had a flashlight and found our way to our room.
Power was still out when we checked out at 9:00 a.m. No backup generator, no lights, no air conditioning, no hot water, no explanation, no offer of a bill adjustment - NOTHING. The whole situation was an accident waiting to happen and perhaps someone did have an incident tripping on the stairways in the dark. The total lack of concern, on the part of management, for the safety of their customers, prompts me to write my very first review. They will not see another reservation from us. Travelodge should be ashamed to have managers like this.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Lynne K
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel one night. It's in a good location, not too far from San Diego, and it seemed to be located in a nice enough area. Our room faced the road so with the window open it was quite noisy. You could barely hear the noise with the window closed. The entry and front desk area seemed newly remodeled and the staff were friendly enough. Although we didn't use it, the pool area seemed nice too. The breakfast buffet was good and included waffles, bagels, pastries, fruit, coffee, juice, toast, and cereal. The room was quite nice, with a comfy bed, and we especially liked having a refrigerator and microwave. Our only complaint was that, when taking a shower around 10am, the water would periodically get VERY hot for a few seconds. It was not a pleasant experience! Otherwise, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the road would be quieter if you wanted to open the window.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night before going to the San Diego Zoo. Although not in a scenic location (it is right on a main busy road), it was a short drive from the zoo and it fit the bill. The room was clean and quiet, and they had just renovated the lobby, so it has a nice modern feel. There was a free continental breakfast with a waffle maker/cereals/fruits/coffee etc, which was perfect for us.
Basically, I slept well and ate well before a busy day, so that was all I needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room, which was bigger and had a little seating area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

On May 27, 2012 I was looking forward to my stay in La Mesa Ca, apparently the hotel manager at the Travel Lodge was not. Im not sure if he was just having a bad day, but he did not want small talk he was extremely unfriendly and cold. When asked if there was a manager to speak to, he responded with "I am the manager is there a problem?" when we told him we though he was being rude and unnecessarily short with us, he denied us our stay. We called the police because this room had already been paid for and we felt as though our money was being taken from us. To our surprise when the police arrived they informed us this is not the only time they have had an issue with this hotel manager and they advised us to leave reviews on the internet about our situation. Unfortunately; this was a Holiday weekend there were no other hotels in the area to book a stay, so I was forced to leave CA early. I never say this, but I highly recommend staying anywhere else but here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Motel 6 La Mesa CA
Motel 6 La Mesa CA
#2 of 8 in La Mesa
Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego

Been to Lodge Of La Mesa? Share your experiences!