Lowest prices for your stay
$110
$105
HolidayInn.com$110
Priceline$110
Trip.com$113
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 3, 2016 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's close to the airport, Qualcomm Stadium & close to the family we came to visit & spend time with.

The staff was friendly & attentive & housekeeping kept our room tidy & clean!!!

There are a couple of things that would have made our stay great! A microwave oven to warm up leftovers or pop popcorn to snack on would have been nice. The gym could be improved by adding a bench, an all in one machine & a mat to stretch & do floor work!

Overall a 3.5/4.

Date of stay: October 2016
Reviewed September 14, 2016

Stayed here for 3 days. I love the friendly staff and the atmosphere! The rooms are very nice and look recently updated. The maids were very nice and made sure that we were very well taken care of. I would highly recommend this hotel and plan on staying here for my next trip to La Mesa.

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

We arrived pretty late but they were very accommodating and we got to our room. No issues. The cost was higher than quoted. That was a problem. Also, the next morning we had an ant infestation. They were in the sink. I knew then it was time to go. Not happy about that.

Date of stay: September 2016
3  Thank doctanner80
Arthur C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

Dear DocTanner,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our entire staff takes great care and effort to ensure the best experience for every guest. We will make sure your concerns regarding the sink is addressed to our staff members so that we will not fall short of meeting your expectations. Thank you kindly again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Best Regards,

Art Collantes

Reviewed August 31, 2016

Great place to stay if you are in this area of San Diego. It was very clean, there were enough towels, the tv worked fine and even a Keurig coffeemaker was provided. You can never go wrong with a Holuday Inn!

Room tip: Don't stay on the first floor....very noisy.
Date of stay: August 2016
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 26, 2016

It's tough to recommend the Holiday Inn at La Mesa. It is not actually owned by Holiday Inn, but simply licensed to a third-party. Because of this franchise model, it arguably does not deliver as a 3-star hotel.

Here's the rundown. Go there only if,

- you don't care much for customer service;
- only need a very short stay (1-2 nights);
- have a strong need to be in La Mesa;
- don't have children; and
- find the room at $75 or below.

If any of the above don't apply to you, simply look elsewhere. It's not worth it.

I am moving my business from out-of-state, and wanted a place where I could stay for several days. I also needed to "work from home" during the day.

Upon coming in, some things were minor issues. The regular outlets didn't work, so maintenance had to install extra ones. The refrigerator froze my food and had to be repaired. The mattress was sagging (a hammock effect). The hotel had no firm pillows, even though Holiday Inn usually carries them. A car was broken into, right next to my ride (it was reported).

Whenever the hotel addressed these issues, I was ok. I even wrote management with compliments to two staff members. The problem seems to center on the front desk and management.

In my first week, the bathroom began to reek of marijuana. (It's a non-smoking hotel.) A staff member identified the odor in front of me, and two other staff members traced it to a room next door. There, the odor was so strong that, once the staff opened the door, it spread to the hallway.

At first, the main manager (Art) promised to move the other guest, saying it was "obvious" the odor came from there. I also was told by another manager (Carla) that I would receive an update the next day. No one called the next day - and the bathroom again smelled of marijuana. Only at my insistence, the management decided to check rooms above me. But some rooms had "do not disturb" signs. Obviously, marijuana smokers may have put up the sign to be undisturbed, but management refused to contact its occupants. It's fair to say the issue was not resolved on time, in part because the management did not perform a thorough room inspection when it first arose. And even though it's California, this is no ordinary cigarette smoke. Incredibly, though, Carla defended the odors, saying they were legal in California with a license (but not when smoking inside a hotel).

After this, I reminded Art of Holiday Inn's hospitality promise - which involves a partial refund for unresolved issues. He denied it existed, in front of other witnesses who were in the hallway. When I pointed to it in writing, he changed tacks: now it existed, but it did not apply because I booked thru Priceline. And when I complained to Holiday Inn corporate, he offered a refund that's half of the portion-in-question. You shouldn't change your arguments to suit your convenience. This is the kind of behavior that gives corporations a bad name.

After complaining to their headquarters, I noticed a childish turn of behavior. Now, even minor requests resulted in petty struggles from management. This is something that others have remarked here and in Yelp. In fact, even corporate wondered why they were logging all minor requests by me, as if they were some kind of infraction (the two managers began doing this after I contacted corporate). It's supposed to be a 3-star hotel from a worldwide brand, with a proactive hospitality promise. It's not a high school environment.

The story doesn't end there, but you get the gist. I heard arguments that were often contradictory and flat-out lies. In one of the most bizarre moments, one of the managers even stood in front of me and said "I am not physically present right now." (This is when I asked for an update on the marijuana odors, and was told this particular manager had actually left the building.) Whether you chalk it up to character or training (I do to both), I cannot recommend this hotel in earnest. Again, see the conditions above. For example, if you have children, I would avoid the place because of how the hotel handled the issue with marijuana. And if you must stay longer than one night, avoid it and seek a place with competent management.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank lawyer9875

Dear Guest,

We would like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your feedback is important to us and valuable in the continued growth of our property. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding the experience you mentioned. Our entire staff is dedicated to giving every guest the best experience and we are truly sorry for falling short on your stay. The proper personnel have been spoken with to ensure these kinds of issues do not happen again.

Please contact me the next time you are in the La Mesa/San Diego area and I will personally make sure your accommodations meet your expectations.

Best Regards,