“Shameful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in La Mesa
Holtville, California
“Shameful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

After spending 2 long days at Comic Con San Diego, My Family and I were beat and in need of some rest.Upon arriving at the hotel first impressions were not good as the area is not all that great and furthermore given that the hotel rate was more than double because of Comic Con we felt that we got scammed. At the hotel check in area we were greeted by Joshua (Manager) and his assistant Brad who provided beyond excellent customer service, their cheerful disposition soon made us forget the area and double room rate (temporarily) and they were extremely fast to accommodate us when we were given a room with a king sized bed as opposed to the 2 Queen beds we had initially reserved. We stayed there on Friday July 25, 2014 and would have given this hotel a lower rating had it not been for Joshua and Brad shame on you Holiday Inn for price gouging in spite of the fact that you were nowhere near the San Diego Convention Center!!!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review as well as your kind words for Joshua and Brad. As far as the high rates, I am sorry that you feel scammed. As you can imagine, July in San Diego is the busiest month for all hotels here, especially over Comic Con. Unfortunately for the guest, when the demand is so high, rate must be adjusted accordingly (just like the airlines do over the holidays). From an ownership and business perspective, keeping rates $100 to $150 lower than all the other hotels in San Diego would not be the best business decision. You would be happy to know, however, that our rates are much more reasonable during the off season and welcome you to come back and join us then.

I hope to see you on your return to San Diego.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were in San Diego and visiting Sea world and we stayed here. Hotel was clean and Staff was very helpful. Rooms were really big and beds were comfortable. They had given us extra sofa cum bed which also decent. Over stay was comfortable we stayed with small kids and hotel was comfortable for them also. Swimming pool was very small and it was just to enjoy the water touch and more over safe for kids to have fun. Over all good stay and we knew wat we booked for so it was on par with our expectations. Yes WiFi was free so was well connected with the world.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see that the staff were able to accommodate your family during your stay.

You will be happy to know that after the summer, we will start a slight renovation on our public areas to ensure we keep our product fresh.

Please join us again on your next trip to San Diego.

Spring Branch, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Staff is very nice but the hotel is older & smells older. Room service was very fast but food was not great. Areas of the room (corners etc) had not been cleaned in awhile. The shower curtain was moldy at the bottom & the room just had a "old" smell about it. I had breakfast in the restaurant & it was good, I just feel like the staff was rushing to take my order.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about the short comings you faced during your stay. Please reach out to me personally to discuss your stay in more detail and to ensure that these items are taken care of immediately.

619-698-7747
Clovis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We just got back from a four night stay. The room was extremely comfortable with a small fridge. The only down side on the room is that all rooms in hotel do not have baths. The bathroom is nice with a large shower, but with two small young children this was a problem. Luckily we stayed down the street from family and they took baths there. But I probably would book somewhere else if staying with kids. Otherwise a very comfortable stay. Right off the 8 freeway and 10-15 minutes away from all the activities like zoo and seaworld. Right across the street there is McDonalds, Pick up sticks, chipotle, and Carls Jr. The Front desk staff was extremely friendly and check in and out was super fast. Free parking. The onsite restaurant was good and kids eat free which was a great deal. My girls loved the pancakes with powder sugar and slice of bacon. I really enjoyed the California Omelet. Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Kids eat free!! A good deal. My husband paid for two of us $20 and our 2 kids ate free. Saved money.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you fr your wonderful review. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to see you on your next trip to San Diego.

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 nights through Hotwire in July 2014. The first night was horrible! The front desk put us in room adjacent to an ice machine, which people were using throughout the night. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I went down to the front desk at 6am to complain. The front desk agent was very surprised, because the ice machine "gets unplugged overnight." I informed him that this was NOT the case on this night. Kudos to that front desk agent; he went above and beyond to switch our room to what turned out to be a great room on the 2nd night. It's due to this front desk agent that I am rating this hotel 3 out of 5 instead of 1 out of 5.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LePlumpier
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about the noisy ice machine. We do turn off the ice machines at 10pm daily and turn them back on at 8am. Please reach out to me personally to let me know when you stayed so I can talk to the appropriate staff to find out why it was not unplugged that night.

agmhilm@t4shotels.com
Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel is across Costco and other restaurants. Very convenient area to go downtown.
Hotel is clean. It has free Wi-fi and free parking.
The area is very safe. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Rate is excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I hope to see you on your next visit to San Diego.

Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Not too impressed with this location. The outdoor pool is a tiny section of parking lot that holds a maximum of 15 swimmers. There were not rollaway beds available when we asked for our 2 adult 3 child group- they offered linens do one could sleep on the floor. I wouldn't sleep on the cleanest hotel floor - and this wasn't the cleanest. Overall I would not choose this location.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Cortney S
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that we were not able to meet your needs during your stay. While we may not have rollaway beds available, we do have larger rooms to accommodate larger parties which also come with a pull out couch. Please contact me directly to discuss the cleanliness issues that you faced during your stay so I can ensure we improve ourselves in this area.

agmhilm@t4shotels.com
Super 8 San Diego Area  / La Mesa
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Days Inn & Suites San Diego SDSU
BEST WESTERN Continental Inn

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!