“Nice surprise”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Tucson, Arizona
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our first impression were the two desk clerks...awesome...friendly accomodating and could actually give us answers when we asked. Wish I could remember their names. Room was clean and big...beds were cozy and I was actually able to wash the shampoo outta my hair in the shower for once....oh and the fridge was actually cold! All around a fabulous experience and a great value in SD. So pleasantly surprised..we had cancelled somewhere else...so glad! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! Hearing great comments like yours make my job worthwhile! I will go back to find out who was working the desk when you checked in to make sure they are acknowledged for their hard work.

Thanks again and hope to see you back soon!

Hospitably,

Gary Comeaux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
los angeles ca
Reviewed June 23, 2013

nice stay comfortable room great customer service. The shower kept running warm not very hot water I that's there way of telling you its time to get out of the shower. The food is ok there are other places to eat in the area
.. It was close to a 80's party I attended with some high school friends.. Free WiFi worked great for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm so glad to see that you rated us a perfect 5 stars for your stay.

Hope to see you during your next trip to San Deigo!

Hospitably,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I needed a place to stay while visiting SD and the HI was a steal at $50 a night. I stayed for six nights and didn't get a peep of noise from the hall, emergency door or the roads outside. My bed was comfortable and the staff helped with everything they could.

The spa was undergoing repairs the whole time I was there so I was unable to soak off the airplane aches and pains in the spa. The pool however is heated and made for an adequate substitute. I was lucky enough to have a room close to the secondary elevators which made getting in and out of the hotel a breeze even when I was loaded down with an international amount of luggage.

Joshua was my favorite front desk person. The maids kept my room tidy without disturbing my belongings and the fridge was a very handy addition. The internet was, in a word, useless but it is my understanding they are fixing it and it should be much improved for my return next year.

Room Tip: Ask for something near the back door if you have a car it makes for very convenient parking.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Megan B
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We take pride in delivering exceptional service so I am very glad to see that our team was able to deliver that for you.

Unfortunately, we no longer have a spa here at the hotel. We just recently filled the hot tub in but luckily our heated pool is still up and running!

Thanks again for the review and see you next time.

La Mesa, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

my favorite front desk clerk is ANDRE. ALTHOUGH ALL OF THE STAFF WERE VERY NICE AND AWESOME.ANDRE is a kind of employee who goes above and beyond.He is very helpful and he is very patient.He always have a smile everytime he attends to the customer.Very friendly and so down to earth.Everything a customer would expect from a staff that first meet the customer upon checking in a hotel.Andre have all of those qualities.He make a customer feel comfortable the moment he start attending to you.He is an awesome person.I would choose this hotel again

Room Tip: higher floors have less a/c unit noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank diana z
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad to hear that Andre was a big help during your stay. Andre is a big asset to our team and we are lucky to have him.

I hope to see you soon on your next visit to San Diego!

Hopitably yours,

General manager
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Front desk staff was great @ check in. My room was awesome compared to other rooms in the hotel. No breakfast but restaurants abound and Costco across the street. My computer was blocked the next evening and wouldn't let me connect to the net. I just finished booking another hotel for my next stay then ;). Hotel tech got with me right away and unblocked it, and also told her I barely had 2 bars for reception, was it my room location? She said no, but it should still transmit. Well, it looks like everyone else had this same problem, reading other comments. So yes they have slomo when it comes to internet connection. BUT overall, I liked my room, the staff, the location and will certainly stay here again. But PLEASE get your internet up to speed.

Room Tip: corner room on the higher floor away from the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank helena d
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your response. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and even more glad to hear that you have already booked your next stay with us. The internet is a problem that we are aware of and we are in the process of fixing this issue. We have just signed a contract with a new company that will double our bandwidth as well as add more wireless ports around the hotel to give every guest a great connection. We estimate that the installation of the new internet service will be complete within the next 30 days.

Thank you for your review and I look forward to meeting you during your next visit.

Vrhnika, Slovenia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our stay was up to HI standards, but internet is not high-speed at all. The room was nice, clean, but only had 2 wall sockets? Two? I bet every business guest has more than 2 devices and I do not want to charge one of them in the bathroom. Hotel staff was helpful and provided us with express check-out, which proved to be really nice when seeing the line at the reception desk in the morning. Warning - this facility is not an Express and there is no breakfast in the rate. You can however have breakfast in the nearby property restaurant. We didn't.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the second floor, rooms pointing north. Many of them have the street light directly i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TineTom
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please be aware that even though breakfast is not included with your stay, there are certain packages that you can find through holidayinn.com that will include breakfast with the rate.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you the next time your are in San Diego.

Los Altos, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel had signs all over the place about how awesome their high speed internet was supposed to be. Yeah, there really wasn't any internet service at all. We tried on two separate weekends, from 2 different rooms, and the internet actually never worked. When we asked the front desk about it, they just said, "It's working."

Also, the hotel only has 1 ice machine and vending machine, which is only on the first floor, way in the corner of the building. By the time you fill up your ice bucket and get back to where your room is, the ice is mostly melted.

The good part is that the rates were relatively inexpensive and the room was mostly clean. But definitely wouldn't recommend for a business traveler who needed internet access.

Room Tip: The Family Suite is really just a large hotel room. There is not a separate bedroom like the hotel a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amylmendenhall
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Amylmendenhall,

Thank you for the review of the Holiday Inn La Mesa. I am sorry to hear that you had troubles with the High Speed Internet service. We are currently upgrading the system with a new vendor which will provide faster service with increased bandwidth. Our expected completion date is just a few weeks away.

Also, I apologize that the ice machines were not easy to find. We have one on the second and third floors immediately off the elevator landing.

I hope this helps bring you back in the near future, as we are always working to improve our services and product.

Travelers are raving about these La Mesa hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
Lodge Of La Mesa
#5 of 8 in La Mesa
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!