See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hotel has a worn feeling - room was clean, but carpet seemed old, bathroom seemed old, elevators seemed old... No frills, just a decent place to stay for the night close to the freeway. The staff was nice enough, and it was walking distance to shopping and dining. This is definitely not the best Holiday Inn I have stayed at, next time I'm in the area I will probably stay at one of the other hotels within a mile or two of this one.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Calibusinessmom,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear that the service and location met your expectations.

The hotel was renovated towards the end of 2008/2009. The bathrooms have been refreshed with granite tops, modern tiling and amenities. The room and corridors were done at the same time. The color scheme of dark natural woods, earth tones and modest lighting were chosen to give a more relaxed feel. I am sorry to hear that this decor gave you a different perception.

As for the elevators, they are older, but certified by the state for compliance. We are hoping to do a "refresh" with them sometime in the newar future.

Thanks again for the review, and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Staff friendly and helpful. Room smelled like cigarettes even though I had to sign that I wouldn't smoke in room(I'm not a smoker). Also, put us across from conference room where a seminar was going on so a little noisy. Rate was very reasonable for room and parking close to room.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from conference rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Shazamsue,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn La Mesa. Your feedback is crucial for our success and for future guests.

I am sorry to hear of the "smoke" smell in the room. I can assure you that this issue has been addressed and that my housekeeping staff is working diligently to ensure this does not occur moving forward.

Again, thank you.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family and I stayed here and had two rooms reserved . The front desk staff had my two rooms next to each others already block for me, thank you for that! it's really make my stay very comfortable and pleasant. The two rooms were very clean and fresh. Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Mr. J;

Families traveling to enjoy the sites of San Diego are very important to us. Whenever possible, we are glad to accomodate room requests to be close together or side by side. I am glad that this worked well for you and your family.

Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I quite enjoyed the hotel. Charming, pleasant decor and furnishings. Clean. Friendly staff at front desk and in the restaurant. Rooms are somewhat small, but quiet and comfortable. Be aware that if you want or need a bathtub, this is not the hotel for you. There is a fairly large shower, but no tub. Very small gym with 2 treadmills, an exercise bike and weight station. Good location with several nearby restaurants and stores, including Costco across the street. I would not hesitate to stay here if what you seek is a simple, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel in this part of San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Breester03;

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. That is exactly our goal for every guest. Your comments, as all of our reviews, are shared with each staff member.

I thought I would pass on some great news.....We are looking to update the Fitness Center with new rubberized flooring, two new treadmills, a new eliptical trainer, a new bike and some stretching matts and balls.

I hope you come back to give the newly renovated Fitness Center a try. We expect it to be complete by the end of March.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was on business for the week in El Cajon and there is not many good choices to stay in El Cajon so I tried the Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa which was only 5 miles from my work. I found the location to be perfect with no traffic to my destination. The hotel is very pleasant to stay at. Very clean with updated decor and the onsite restaurant is a plus as too many hotels like this supply a continental breakfast or even a full breakfast that leaves you wishing you hadn't eaten at all. When I booked my hotel online they had an offer for free breakfast for each day I stayed and I was very impressed the service and food I ordered each morning. The staff was very helpful in suggesting other nearby restaurants and over all they were very friendly.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room that doesn't face the parking lot as it can get a little noisy in the evenings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Radman143,

I appreciate the kind comments pertaining to the service, cleanliness and the location of the hotel and it's staff. We are one of the closest hotels to El Cajon, and as you mentioned, just a mere 5 miles down the road.

Our breakfast is a great option for guests. Full menu and all cooked to order. It does beat a continental breakfast any day.

We hope to see you back soon and again, thank you for the kind comments.