See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I quite enjoyed the hotel. Charming, pleasant decor and furnishings. Clean. Friendly staff at front desk and in the restaurant. Rooms are somewhat small, but quiet and comfortable. Be aware that if you want or need a bathtub, this is not the hotel for you. There is a fairly large shower, but no tub. Very small gym with 2 treadmills, an exercise bike and weight station. Good location with several nearby restaurants and stores, including Costco across the street. I would not hesitate to stay here if what you seek is a simple, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel in this part of San Diego.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Breester03;

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. That is exactly our goal for every guest. Your comments, as all of our reviews, are shared with each staff member.

I thought I would pass on some great news.....We are looking to update the Fitness Center with new rubberized flooring, two new treadmills, a new eliptical trainer, a new bike and some stretching matts and balls.

I hope you come back to give the newly renovated Fitness Center a try. We expect it to be complete by the end of March.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was on business for the week in El Cajon and there is not many good choices to stay in El Cajon so I tried the Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa which was only 5 miles from my work. I found the location to be perfect with no traffic to my destination. The hotel is very pleasant to stay at. Very clean with updated decor and the onsite restaurant is a plus as too many hotels like this supply a continental breakfast or even a full breakfast that leaves you wishing you hadn't eaten at all. When I booked my hotel online they had an offer for free breakfast for each day I stayed and I was very impressed the service and food I ordered each morning. The staff was very helpful in suggesting other nearby restaurants and over all they were very friendly.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room that doesn't face the parking lot as it can get a little noisy in the evenings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Radman143,

I appreciate the kind comments pertaining to the service, cleanliness and the location of the hotel and it's staff. We are one of the closest hotels to El Cajon, and as you mentioned, just a mere 5 miles down the road.

Our breakfast is a great option for guests. Full menu and all cooked to order. It does beat a continental breakfast any day.

We hope to see you back soon and again, thank you for the kind comments.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had 4 night stay on recent trip. Paid $47 a night via Hotwire. Eastern part of San Diego just off I-8. Clean , nice room. Guys at front desk always smiling and always helpful. Several nice reasonable priced retauraunt in the area. Away from hustle and bustle of downtown and real touristy areas .

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am delighted to hear the wonderful comments about the Desk Staff and the cleanliness of the rooms and hotel.

There are great restaurants around th local area, as you mentioned. Hopefully next time you will try our restaurant "The Mesa Grill" which is on site.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

A group of my friends, my mom and I stayed at this hotel for a quick one night stay. This hotel was nice for what we used it for- a rest stop before heading to San Fernando. The room was nice, but dark. There were many television channels that we could watch for free. The beds were okay but not great. They were only full-sized beds not queen-sized beds. The pillows were not comfy even though there was supposed to be two types of pillows-soft and firm. The room was nice for the price and one night stay. I would stay here again if I was in town again and was not going to be in La Mesa for more than two to three days at the most.

• Stayed: January 2013
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review through TripAdvisor. I am delighted to see the high scores for the cleanliness, service and value of the hotel. I appreciate the comments about the lighting and pillows as well.

All of our rooms provide either a King sized bed or two Queen sized beds. We do not offer full sized beds. I apologize if there was any confusion during your stay. As for the lighting, we are working on new Sconces throughout the corridors as well as brighter bulbs in our lamps. Also, Holiday Inn is rolling out new pillows, in which we have already started to pursue. This should make your next stay with us much more enjoyable.

Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again, soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Sept. 2011 we stayed at this hotel for the 1st time. They gave us a mini-suite & plenty of towels for 5 women traveling to see family. After accidentally leaving my very expensive favorite pillow, they saved it for me (secured it in a plastic pkg) and mailed it to me immediately as promised. WOW!!
Because of that great experience we stayed there again this year and were IMPRESSED again! They upgraded us upon arrival to a huge spacious room with two large beds (with plenty of pillows-LOL) and had our check-in with door keys ready for us when we arrived late. They also gave us until two pm. the next day to check out since we had arrived late. Amazing! For a 3 star hotel price we were treated like a 5-star general/VIP. I am now a rewards club member with Holiday Inn & Company and will also look to book with this chain first because of my experience with this one location. I just hope all others are just as fabulous!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family