See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had 4 night stay on recent trip. Paid $47 a night via Hotwire. Eastern part of San Diego just off I-8. Clean , nice room. Guys at front desk always smiling and always helpful. Several nice reasonable priced retauraunt in the area. Away from hustle and bustle of downtown and real touristy areas .

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am delighted to hear the wonderful comments about the Desk Staff and the cleanliness of the rooms and hotel.

There are great restaurants around th local area, as you mentioned. Hopefully next time you will try our restaurant "The Mesa Grill" which is on site.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

A group of my friends, my mom and I stayed at this hotel for a quick one night stay. This hotel was nice for what we used it for- a rest stop before heading to San Fernando. The room was nice, but dark. There were many television channels that we could watch for free. The beds were okay but not great. They were only full-sized beds not queen-sized beds. The pillows were not comfy even though there was supposed to be two types of pillows-soft and firm. The room was nice for the price and one night stay. I would stay here again if I was in town again and was not going to be in La Mesa for more than two to three days at the most.

• Stayed: January 2013
Gary C, General Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review through TripAdvisor. I am delighted to see the high scores for the cleanliness, service and value of the hotel. I appreciate the comments about the lighting and pillows as well.

All of our rooms provide either a King sized bed or two Queen sized beds. We do not offer full sized beds. I apologize if there was any confusion during your stay. As for the lighting, we are working on new Sconces throughout the corridors as well as brighter bulbs in our lamps. Also, Holiday Inn is rolling out new pillows, in which we have already started to pursue. This should make your next stay with us much more enjoyable.

Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to seeing you again, soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Sept. 2011 we stayed at this hotel for the 1st time. They gave us a mini-suite & plenty of towels for 5 women traveling to see family. After accidentally leaving my very expensive favorite pillow, they saved it for me (secured it in a plastic pkg) and mailed it to me immediately as promised. WOW!!
Because of that great experience we stayed there again this year and were IMPRESSED again! They upgraded us upon arrival to a huge spacious room with two large beds (with plenty of pillows-LOL) and had our check-in with door keys ready for us when we arrived late. They also gave us until two pm. the next day to check out since we had arrived late. Amazing! For a 3 star hotel price we were treated like a 5-star general/VIP. I am now a rewards club member with Holiday Inn & Company and will also look to book with this chain first because of my experience with this one location. I just hope all others are just as fabulous!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I put people up here for my wedding. The rooms are clean and nice looking, not huge but a decent size. My guests commented on the good mattresses, how handy the little coffee shop on site was, how nice it was. I had the desk staff put gift baskets in the rooms and one didn't get there. I told the desk manager and she said she'd find out what happened but she never called me back. You'd need a car for this hotel and this part of town. There is a trolley stop in the town center but that's not walking distance. The trolley serves downtown, Petco Park, Qualcom Stadium, and many other areas. There's plenty of free parking at the Spring St trolley stop.

There are a decent upscale Chinese restaurant, an okay Italian restaurant, and a full breakfast place within walking distance. it's conveniently located close to the Baltimore Drive exit off Route 8.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I were in SD visiting family for 10 days so we needed a hotel that was good value and easily accessible from the freeway. We were pleasantly surprised by this Holiday Inn. Firstly, the staff were all very friendly and helpful during our entire stay. We had a large room and the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was clean and in good working order, good coffee facilities and continuous Wi-fi access. We used the pool and although it is small, it was clean and well maintained. We had breakfast daily in the Mesa Grill and it was great and the service was friendly and efficient. We used the small bar most evenings and again, found it to be good value and the service was great. All in all, a very good experience and we will definitely go back when next visiting!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple