See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great hotel. We were greeted by very friendly personnel. Our room was clean, nice decor, comfortable beds. You have a choice of firm or soft pillows. Had breakfast at its Mesa restaurant. Not bad at all - $20 for 2 adults and a kid. 7/11, Mexican eatery, McDonalds – everything is just around the corner. Close to San Diego Zoo

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We love the holiday inn chain of hotels and we usually stay at the holiday inn express if possible. We made a last minute decision to go to San Diego for the Chargers home opener and the Express was booked so we decided on the inn. Checked in... It was great. Hotel and room was clean. Turned on the air...and on my goodness a jet was landing in the room all night. Couldn't open the windows but 2 inches or so. When you turned off the AC there was still a loud roar from the roof. Worst night sleep ever!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear 4u2reed,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am delighted to know that you had a good experience at check in. I am sorry your stay was negatively affected by the noise from the air conditioning system. We will address this and I thank you for bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was in San Diego on business. Due to Comic-Con taking place that week, there were no hotels available down town. Holiday Inn La Mesa was the only place I found a room.
Photoshop is a wonderful thing. Do not let the image on the website fool you.The parking area in front of the hotel is no where near as big as it appears. During the week of my stay, there were numerous instances of people who for whatever reason cannot back their van/SUV into a parking space and so end up taking two spaces with their semi-diagonal parking because there was not enough room to swing into the space properly.
Upon check-in the young woman who assisted me was very pleasant and efficient.
I cannot say the same for the room.
Although clean, it was dated and badly in need of renovation. The carpet is in need of replacement and the closet door was hanging off its tracks. I ended up fixing the door myself concerned it would fall on me if I left it as is. I do not understand how housekeeping did not notice this.
The desk and table lamps all have electrical outlets on them none of which worked. The desk chair would not maintain its height. I adjusted up as I prefer to sit higher when working on my laptop. As I was sitting the chair would continue to jerk down.
The internet service was adequate at best.
Services need to be improved. I needed to send out some clothing for cleaning. I got the bag in the closet for that purpose but there was no laundry form with it. I called down to the front desk and asked about getting a laundry form. The person who answered did not have the slightest idea what I was talking about even after I explained what it was. I was put on hold (I guess they went to check with the manager) and when they came back instructed me to just put a note in the bag with the instructions.
The next evening when I got back from work I expected to find a message indicating my clothes were ready. I had to call the front desk in order to find out that my clothes were ready.
The one redeeming quality was the restaurant across the parking lot. The food there was very good and very reasonably priced.
I really do not understand the reviewers who gave this hotel four and five stars as it was most definitely did not rate it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Naamor,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the front desk staff.

However, We’re sorry about the dated room, carpet and the closet door. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

This HI worked perfectly for our purpose in La Mesa. We had a nice corner room on the 3rd floor.. We wanted to use the pool ... But it was so hot outside decided to use the room AC instead:-) Bed comfortable, good LG TV, good in room coffee.. Shower was Ok.. No tub... Fixtures a bit loose. Efficient, but not overly friendly service in lobby. The on site restaurant , The Mesa, offered great breakfast selection with a $10 per person credit .. Very nice and good service..

• Stayed: September 2012
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We will share them with our staff.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel was clean and updated. Service was very good, and the one time we ate breakfast at the restaurant, it was very good. The only complaint I have, is that the hotel's wireless connection didn't reach our room. We were fairly far from the front desk, where the hotel's only router is located. When we mentioned this problem to the hotel staff, they had very little to say. Yes, it was inconvenient to not have a wireless connection, expecially when we were expecting one. The treadmills in the workout room need to be updated as well. Otherwise, the location was very convenient for us and it was a good value.

Room Tip: Close to the front desk to ensure you have a wireless connection.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your comments. It sounds like your stay with us went well. We're sorry you didn't have an Internet connection in your guest room. This is not a problem we typically have. It sounds like our front desk could have handled this better than they did. We will address this internally. Our fitness equipment is only a few years old. We'll take a closer look at it to make sure everything is in working order. We hope you're able to come back and visit us again in the future. Again, thank you for your comments.