“Dated rooms, non-working equipment mediocre internet”

Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Northern VA
“Dated rooms, non-working equipment mediocre internet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was in San Diego on business. Due to Comic-Con taking place that week, there were no hotels available down town. Holiday Inn La Mesa was the only place I found a room.
Photoshop is a wonderful thing. Do not let the image on the website fool you.The parking area in front of the hotel is no where near as big as it appears. During the week of my stay, there were numerous instances of people who for whatever reason cannot back their van/SUV into a parking space and so end up taking two spaces with their semi-diagonal parking because there was not enough room to swing into the space properly.
Upon check-in the young woman who assisted me was very pleasant and efficient.
I cannot say the same for the room.
Although clean, it was dated and badly in need of renovation. The carpet is in need of replacement and the closet door was hanging off its tracks. I ended up fixing the door myself concerned it would fall on me if I left it as is. I do not understand how housekeeping did not notice this.
The desk and table lamps all have electrical outlets on them none of which worked. The desk chair would not maintain its height. I adjusted up as I prefer to sit higher when working on my laptop. As I was sitting the chair would continue to jerk down.
The internet service was adequate at best.
Services need to be improved. I needed to send out some clothing for cleaning. I got the bag in the closet for that purpose but there was no laundry form with it. I called down to the front desk and asked about getting a laundry form. The person who answered did not have the slightest idea what I was talking about even after I explained what it was. I was put on hold (I guess they went to check with the manager) and when they came back instructed me to just put a note in the bag with the instructions.
The next evening when I got back from work I expected to find a message indicating my clothes were ready. I had to call the front desk in order to find out that my clothes were ready.
The one redeeming quality was the restaurant across the parking lot. The food there was very good and very reasonably priced.
I really do not understand the reviewers who gave this hotel four and five stars as it was most definitely did not rate it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Naamor,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the front desk staff.

However, We’re sorry about the dated room, carpet and the closet door. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

This HI worked perfectly for our purpose in La Mesa. We had a nice corner room on the 3rd floor.. We wanted to use the pool ... But it was so hot outside decided to use the room AC instead:-) Bed comfortable, good LG TV, good in room coffee.. Shower was Ok.. No tub... Fixtures a bit loose. Efficient, but not overly friendly service in lobby. The on site restaurant , The Mesa, offered great breakfast selection with a $10 per person credit .. Very nice and good service..

• Stayed September 2012
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We will share them with our staff.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel was clean and updated. Service was very good, and the one time we ate breakfast at the restaurant, it was very good. The only complaint I have, is that the hotel's wireless connection didn't reach our room. We were fairly far from the front desk, where the hotel's only router is located. When we mentioned this problem to the hotel staff, they had very little to say. Yes, it was inconvenient to not have a wireless connection, expecially when we were expecting one. The treadmills in the workout room need to be updated as well. Otherwise, the location was very convenient for us and it was a good value.

Room Tip: Close to the front desk to ensure you have a wireless connection.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It sounds like your stay with us went well. We're sorry you didn't have an Internet connection in your guest room. This is not a problem we typically have. It sounds like our front desk could have handled this better than they did. We will address this internally. Our fitness equipment is only a few years old. We'll take a closer look at it to make sure everything is in working order. We hope you're able to come back and visit us again in the future. Again, thank you for your comments.
Burnt Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while on a family vacation in Southern California. We booked two rooms through priceline and got a very reasonable rate. This is a typical Holiday Inn and we were very satisfied with the hotel. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. We were using the hotel as our base while exploring the San Diego area. Its very convienient if you have a car for getting around and cheaper than staying in a place in the city. We did not try the hotel restaurant, but did look at the menu and the prices seemed reasonable. There are many eating options close by, ranging from fast food to chain restaurants and independant spots. Its also very close to many shopping areas. The trolley that will take you into San Diego is very close and we drove to the train station to catch a trolley ride to a Padres game. The hotel pool is small, but was in good shape. The fitness center is also small, but all of the equipment was working. We took a walk in the area and stumbled upon a nice park that has a walking trail going around a lake. The only complaint I had was the size of the hotel parking spaces. We had a large rental and it was a tight squeeze getting it parked in the lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recommendation. We appreciate your business and are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Santa Clara, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights (thank you Citi rewards) to visit family. This place is in a great location for anyone. Great local restaurants (Omelette Factory, Pietro's) along with the chain ones if you want. 7-11 is next door and Costco across the street.

The pool was small, but fit our needs (6, 4 yo along with wife and I). Towels provided at the pool. I advise you ask for towels before you go out if you plan on visiting later in the day.

The room was VERY clean and updated. I liked the LCD screen tv and granite countertops. The bathroom was laid out well. The shower floor had a texture so it wasn't slippery and had a different slope to drain the water to the sides, then down to the drain. I mention this because I don't like to stand in water and slip while on vacation.

This place was pretty full while we were here and could hear folks walking by our room. This is expected. I asked for a room as far away from the pool and as high as possible, got room 356.
The gym had some good equipment to work with and is open 24 hours/day.

Overall, this place met our needs and wouldn't mind using it again next time we're in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic. Would recommend not choosing the first floor due to high traffic. T...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. We're happy you were pleased with your stay. Our housekeeping staff does amazing work. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities and we get a lot of positive feedback about that. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to our hotel again in the future. Thank you.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at this facility for three nights. It was my first time but it won't be my last. Check-in was a little slow but otherwise went smoothly. The room I was assigned was excellent in that it was quiet and that's all I really needed. My window faced a wall about six feet away so there was no view but I don't stay at a hotel for the view. The room was cleaned promptly each day (I was away during each day so I have no idea what time housekeeping showed up). The bed was comfortable...better than my bed at home! Check-out was prompt and courteous. Parking is difficult. I didn't arrive back at the hotel until around 11 p.m. each night and the lot was usually full but some of the blame has to be assigned to drivers who took up two spaces because they can't seem to park within the lines.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Robert M
Thank you for your comments. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. Parking did seem like it could have been better for you. As you said sometimes drivers take up more than one spot and we address that whenever we can. We hope to see you back again soon. Thank you.
Chaska, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I had three days in La Mesa, between our stay in Palm Springs/Palm Desert & before we flew out. we booked into the Holiday Inn at 8000 Parkway Drive on short notice. The staff was very friendly and took care of our needs immediately. Our room was clean & comfortable, if a little small for us. It was a typical hotel room. The most outstanding thing about our room was the comfortable beds. My wife and I both commented on this fact after our first night. After about a month on the road, the three nights at the Holiday Inn were the most comnfortable we spent. I would recommend this establishment on great nights of sleep, alone.

We only ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast, once. We picked a morning when everyone in the hotel seemed to try to get in to the restaurant at the same time. My only concern with the restaurant, was the slow service. However, I realize that much of that was due to the capacity crowd that morning. Our waiter was very apologetic about the speed of service that morning. He told us they were pretty much swamped with customers all at once.

My only real complaint with the hotel, is the dimness of the hallway lighting. I think there is substantial room for improvement in that area.

All in all, I would recommend the Holiday Inn at 8000 Parkway Drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay. We have the hall lighting on the list of items we hope to be addressing before the end of this year. We hope you'll be back to stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
Lodge Of La Mesa
#4 of 8 in La Mesa
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
SpringHill Suites San Diego Mission Valley
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!