See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We needed a 3 bed room for just 1 night. I was happy w/ the front desk rep as this was a training day for her & she was very nice. I asked for 2 more bars of dreamy citrus soap & the head housekeeper gave me them w/ a big smile. When I turned in the card key the next day the sole front desk rep was a little snooty, but over all I am happy w/ my stay.....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments. We aim to please and we're glad that you are happy with your stay. Please come see us again. We'd love you have you back.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

People at the front desk were rude, and seemed to have no idea what they were doing, plus had to wait (even with reservation) 3 hours to get my room, cause they were "not clean yet", even though check-in is at 3 pm. NOT a good hotel, no complimentary breakfast, food in restaurant overpriced and bad.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

It sounds like we didn't do a very good job for you. It is our hope that every guest enjoys their stay. We appreciate the feedback and will share it with our team. Thank you for taking the time to write a response.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for a night when my husband was travelling with work. It was perfectly adequate for a short stay - my reason for saying short is that there isn't a whole lot in the area that would give you cause to stay longer, except work or family. The pool area was closed while we were there which was a shame, although it probably would have been a little cold anyway. Sun baking might have been nice though!

We went to a fantastic sushi restaurant not too far away - apologies, I can't recall the name but I think it's a chain. We went there as my husbands' colleagues said the onsite hotel restaurant is a bit dire.

I also did a hike in Mission Trails Regional Park which was beautiful...and relatively close to downtown San Diego.

A piece of constructive criticism relates to the gym. While the basic facilities are fine, the air conditioning is inadequate. I found it difficult to do a good workout as the room was quite hot, even once I had switched the air con on - I guess it takes awhile to cool the room down.

On the plus, late checkout wasn't a problem at all which was great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

There are some really great things to do in the area. Grossmont Center is a very large outdoor shopping malls with all kinds of stores, fabulous restaurants and a movie theater. For something eclectic in old town La Mesa there is a cigar bar called Hoffer’s. San Pasqual Wine Tasting is a blast. Lake Murray has a beautiful path around it that is a 3 mile loop and a very relaxing walk. On Fridays La Mesa has a wonderful farmer's market.

We appreciate your comments about the air conditioning in the fitness center. This is something we'll definitely look into. Thank you.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were in the area for a family emergency so our stay at the Holiday Inn was out of necessity and practicality. The hotel overall had a very dark, dreary feeling about it. The hallways were not well lit and the decor of the room while very up-to-date was in such dark tones. The room, which was 2 queen beds, was small and cramped but well-appointed. The air conditioner was rather noisy but because of how hot it was, a necessity to run. If you're not sensitive to sound this probably won't be a big deal for you. Since I am, I slept poorly. The free parking, a rarity in the San Diego area, was definitely an upside. We checked out the pool though we never used it. It was on the side of the parking lot and kind of hidden away. It was not very clean, though in defense of the staff, it had a couple of flowering trees hanging over which lent itself to having flowers, leaves, and bugs floating in the water. Overall, it served its purpose of giving us a place to stay under difficult circumstances but I wouldn't choose this hotel for a vacation spot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

We're sorry that you didn't have a more pleasant reason for coming to town. Hopefully your next visit to town will be for fun and you can enjoy some of the many amenities in our area. Our hotel is centrally located in San Diego making it easy to access most areas of the county within about 20 minutes. We can appreciate your comments about the dark colors of the decor here. We have begun to update the lighting and change some of the decor to help brighten things up. Although we clean the pool daily it is sometime difficult to keep up with a windy day. We've trimmed some of the landscaping to help make it a little easier to keep debris out of the pool. We've also added some new decor to the pool area. We'd love for you to come back out and try us again.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Staff were very friendly and accommodating more than happy to advise about directions to places etc. Well situated for the local shops.(grosmont centre drive) Fridge was very handy but it was clear you needed a car to access anything. Los Titos mexican takeaway to the rear was very good and heated pool was a bit disappointing being in the car park area (raised above car parking level though) but still was very handy. No faults really if we were in the area we would definately use again. Stayed here for 7 nights definately recommended nice and clean,.

Room Tip: make sure you get a fridge!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to our neck of the woods again so we get a chance to wow you!