See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was very happily surprised when I visited my home town do a family event and stayed t the Holiday Inn. The rooms look like a high end $300 a night hotel. But the rates are much better. The staff was nice and the location is right in the middle of La Mesa and 2 blocks from freeway. NO FREEWAY SOUND!!!! I love that.

They have a small restaurant that was very good and affordable.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting La Mesa or San Diego!!!!!

This hotel is a gen of a deal!

Room Tip: I had the third floor close to elevator so no long walks. It was quite and I loved the location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagement8000, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

We're so happy you enjoyed staying with us. Please come back again.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday here... Great location, very friendly staff, Only downside was that they do not offer a breakfast of any kind. There is a resturant semi attached to the hotel, but doesn't have much of a selection. Did eat dinner there once, wasn't too impressed, but waiter was incredibly positive and bubbly and for that reason I went back to give him an extra $10 just because his positive attitude was that notable. On a brighter note, the resturant does allow the hotel guests children to eat FREE with a paying adult.

Rooms were nice, only side note was that the 2nd and 3rd floors smelled a little musty.. nothing a little carpet fresh and maybe febreze noticables can't fix ;)

Seriously, the hotel is extremely close to the freeway, we visited the La Jolla Beach on Saturday Coronado Beach on Sunday and it's all about 12-15 minutes away. There's a chipotle across the street, an El Torito up the street.. all in all it's clean, safe and we had a blast!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melanie K
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night on November 25, 2011 after booking on Priceline for $45 (came to just under $60 with tax). I was very happy to have gotten this place because this is what I wanted. I lived walking distance to this hotel for a year and was familiar with the area knowing how convenient it is to everything (public transportation, restaurants, freeways, tourist attractions, beaches, Tijuana, etc).

I arrived hours before check in time and although she seemed annoyed, the lady at the front desk gave in and gave me a room since I said I don't care where it is located or how many beds there are. Ended up in a huge room that was very comfortable. The bed was actually one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on.

The hotel itself is probably more like a motel to be honest, but it is very quiet and in a very safe neighborhood (believe me, I lived in La Mesa right before I stayed here!). I personally would not stay in any other hotel in La Mesa. They are either in the rougher parts of towns (closer towards SDSU), or have transient people staying there.

I had a nice, big flat-screen with lots of channels, free and fast wifi, and free parking. If you stay in Mission Valley or La Jolla you more than likely would have had to have paid something like $30 just for those fees I bet.

Would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for a few things. The parking is kind of bizarre. The people that work at a restaurant also seemed unable to answer basic questions about their restaurant. I had intended to use some vouchers from restaurant.com which said that there are $2 taco nights and when I called to see what day that would be held, the workers were confused with what I was talking about. They also couldn't answer my question on if they were having any specials that day. Never made it to that restaurant but I know prices are good. I do kind of agree with some reviews on the place not having much personality. It is more or less sterile but hey, it was clean and comfortable so that is fine by me.

One of my most missed La Mesa eateries is walking distance. Nono's has some of the best pizza that I have ever had and they have a huge menu.

If you are willing to not be in Gaslamp or right no the beach, this is where I would recommend staying. 30 minutes (maybe less) to La Jolla and 15 minutes to Gaslamp.

Would easily return here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gafiltafish
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Nothing special, but clean and well kept. Internet worked well and is free. The Grossmont Center shopping mall is nearby. Walking distance to fast food and Starbucks. The trolley stop is about a half mile away and makes it easy to reach Old Town or the Gaslight District.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This hotel was sufficient for the five days that we stayed there. The hotel is VERY quiet and the desk clerks are very friendly and helpful. The only thing about the hotel is that, even though it is very clean, it just lacks some "personality". It was kind of "creepy" in the halls leading to the rooms because the colors of the carpeting are so dull and not that clean. It smelled very musty in the hallways after exiting the elevator each time. There were broken tiles in the elevator that could be fixed easily. The room was always cleaned every day and the only thing that couldve been cleaner was the bathroom floor..it had alot of built up dirt that should've been scrubbed better...we noticed that right away. The beds were wonderful and we slept really well on them - even better than we do at home lol. The room colors are also very dull and it just seems like the decorator for this hotel got stuck on the "brown" tones too much. Just really made this hotel a little drab looking. The lobby could use improvement also to make it more inviting to sit there at times. We did not eat at the restaurant on the grounds so we cant comment on how that was, but the desk clerks did give a coupon for 15% off our tab at the restaurant and a free drink for being a priority club member. We just didnt have the opportunity to really use them on this trip. We would stay here again because of the price but it just really lacks some pizazz i guess you would call it that other hotels have. Think if they would spruce it up some on the decorations and the carpeting and paint colors it would be more inviting to go to. One thing about the room though we'd like to add since we've stayed in so many hotels, its just so sad to see the lack of workmanship in some of the rooms, like, in ours, they placed a drawer pull on top of lamp to make it looked like the lamp had a decorativer holder on the shade instead of installing a lamp shade holder..reason why we know this is that, we had to take the shade off the lamp in order to have better lighting in the room..the room stayed very dark most of the time unless we opened the curtain after dressing. All in all, we were happy with the room and the cleanliness and with all the employees that we met. We are originally from San Diego so we go back from time to time to visit family still and friends and so far this has been by far the quietest hotel we've stayed at over there. Oh, the area around the hotel is wonderful for shopping and restaurants and all kinds of other amenities...even a McDonald's across the street if you're traveling with younger children! Hotel is VERY close to the freeway with easy access. Worked perfectly for where we needed to be.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear bnanafana,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are happy you enjoyed the location of our hotel as well as the room accommodations. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced regarding the public areas of the hotel. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Jaime W