“Breakfast!!! You Talking About Breakfast!!”

D.Z. Akin's Delicatessen
Ranked #2 of 225 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established in 1980 D. Z. Akin's has been a San Diego institution since they first opened their doors back in 1980 and is still a family run business spanning 3 generations. From the Menu: "D.Z. stands for the two of us, Debi and Zvika Akin. Having lived in Los Angeles, we frequented many good delicatessens and knew that San Diego was in need of one. Considering how we both enjoyed cooking, and how even our first date revolved around a bowl of chopped liver, we decided to pack our bags, move to San Diego and take a stab at cooking for starved delicatessen lovers. With only a small budget, good old-fashioned recipes, the courage to experiment, hard work and long hours, 'D.Z. Akin's' came to be. We made a commitment to ourselves that we would never compromise on quality and we would fill our plates high with the finest delicatessen available... With the help of wonderful customers and perseverance, we became, beyond our greatest expectations, a thriving business."
Reviewed July 22, 2018

Breakfast!!! You Talking About Breakfast!! This place is super famous for the Breakfast! Their Omelettes are to die for! I am a big fan for 30 years.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Diner feel with an extensive menu. All the Jewish favorites. Breakfast is my favorite. Two eggs, fantastic potatoes, and onion bagel is my "go-to" meal.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

This is the best food ever. Lots of meat on sandwiches. Only down for me I’d they are SO EXPENSIVE! Average price for a sandwich is $16.95

Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Passed by D.Z. Akins last week and attempted to ply my partner in crime to go get a long overdue Pastrami on Rye. It took a week of whining, but today it was “his idea” and we sailed into the parking lot somewhere between breakfast and lunchtime ready to pounce on a sandwich.
This really is the only place in town where I feel you can get quality Jewish Deli.
It doesn’t hurt that they have an amazing bakery, pickled green tomatoes, corn rye, Brooklyn stylie 7 layer cake, rugelach, black and whites, a vault of mesmerizing little cookies, herring, whole smoked fish,
and salads formed into unnatural humps of deliciousness. Comfort food like Grandpa schooled me on since I was the weird little kid that liked what the old timers ate (whitefish, belly lox, tongue, fatty pastrami).
The Menu here is ridiculous-more like a novelette and truly something for every taste.
Breakfast every which way and served anytime you want it. Service is friendly, pricing is fair especially in that you can’t get most of what’s on offer elsewhere let alone in one place.
The portions are Hungryman (or Hungrywoman) style-generally big enough for two.
I don’t get that direction often, but if I lived closer to D.Z. Akins it would certainly be on regular rotation.

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

We went to DZ for an early dinner and took advantage of their early bird dinner option. The portions were big, the food very good and the service very friendly. At 5pm the restaurant wasn’t that busy but by the time we left at 6.30pm the restaurant was almost full. Attached to the restaurant was a deli take-out counter, although the prices were a little on the high side. Overall, very good