“Delicious Deli Sandwiches”

Ranked #2 of 223 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Deli
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established in 1980 D. Z. Akin's has been a San Diego institution since they first opened their doors back in 1980 and is still a family run business spanning 3 generations. From the Menu: "D.Z. stands for the two of us, Debi and Zvika Akin. Having lived in Los Angeles, we frequented many good delicatessens and knew that San Diego was in need of one. Considering how we both enjoyed cooking, and how even our first date revolved around a bowl of chopped liver, we decided to pack our bags, move to San Diego and take a stab at cooking for starved delicatessen lovers. With only a small budget, good old-fashioned recipes, the courage to experiment, hard work and long hours, 'D.Z. Akin's' came to be. We made a commitment to ourselves that we would never compromise on quality and we would fill our plates high with the finest delicatessen available... With the help of wonderful customers and perseverance, we became, beyond our greatest expectations, a thriving business."
Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went here for dinner tonight. The waitress said a sandwich was a must. We both ended up ordering the Corned beef and pastrami on rye. Huge sandwich and absolutely delicious. Potato salad was ok. They had a small jar of fresh pickles at the table that were amazing. This was suggested by a friend and so glad we went.

1  Thank DJSparks45

Reviewed January 22, 2018

This is one of the very best authentic Jewish deli's in San Diego. A biy of a drive, if you are in North County, but well worth it!
They really have it down! Most likely, you will come home with enough food for another meal too. So, take that into account when judging the prices.

Reviewed January 21, 2018

Top quality!! We have eaten there many times. Plenty of food for the buck plus they have the Jewish pastry and gift shop in site.

Reviewed January 10, 2018

I came to California from my home in Maine, bringing along a cold I just could not shake. We had planned to meet up with some friends that had moved to the area, and they too had come down with a cold. I suggested maybe we should dine somewhere with Chicken soup - she suggested D.Z Akins. DZ Akins was just one exit down the road from the Holiday Inn where we were staying. The place - was perfect! It was just like so many of the Jewish deli's we frequented when we all lived in the Chicago area. I had the Matzo Ball Soup, my wife the Beef Barley and my friend the Chicken Soup. The portions were HUGE - I could not finish it all - and very good. It was the perfect thing. We picked up some pastry treats at the large counter on the way out and have been snacking on them for the last 200 miles.

1  Thank DJ-USA
Reviewed December 3, 2017

This is an excellent Jewish Deli and definitely worth a visit. The food is excellent and the service is dependable as expected. The place is huge and very busy. Definitely worth a visit.