“No shortage of options - really good food”

D.Z. Akin's Delicatessen
Ranked #1 of 205 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Established in 1980 D. Z. Akin's has been a San Diego institution since they first opened their doors back in 1980 and is still a family run business spanning 3 generations. From the Menu: "D.Z. stands for the two of us, Debi and Zvika Akin. Having lived in Los Angeles, we frequented many good delicatessens and knew that San Diego was in need of one. Considering how we both enjoyed cooking, and how even our first date revolved around a bowl of chopped liver, we decided to pack our bags, move to San Diego and take a stab at cooking for starved delicatessen lovers. With only a small budget, good old-fashioned recipes, the courage to experiment, hard work and long hours, 'D.Z. Akin's' came to be. We made a commitment to ourselves that we would never compromise on quality and we would fill our plates high with the finest delicatessen available... With the help of wonderful customers and perseverance, we became, beyond our greatest expectations, a thriving business."
Santa Ana, California
“No shortage of options - really good food”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Anything you possibly want, they serve it. Everything you want in a good deli restaurant. Not particularly kosher so if that's important to you, ask first.

Everything we've had there from challah to matzoh ball soup to tongue sandwich to hot fudge sundae has been delicious.

But my favorite things about this place are the delicious dill pickles waiting for you at the table, and the potato knish. Just thinking about he knish makes me drool a little. Be sure to have gravy with it.

There's also a charming gift store there, and be sure to roam around and look at the autographed celebrity photos on the walls.

Parking is a little awkward, but ample.

I highly recommend it. Just be hungry when you go there because you'll have a hard time deciding what to order and you might want to order a few things.

Coronado, California
“TRADITION! A Real Jewish Deli!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

What is it that brings customers back to this restaurant over and over. A tradition of good food and good service. Tradition in the menu -- true Jewish deli fare; tradition in skillful cooking of every dish ordered, Jewish or not (and there are many items for other than those of Jewish heritage); tradition like having a big crock of homemade pickles on every table. Yes! It is all there! Dishes come quickly from the kitchen. Soups are hot and homemade --and delicious. Servers are attentive and like helping their customers. All this, and on weekdays, there is a traditional ,American breakfast special -2eggs, 2sausage or bacon, and 2hotcakes for only $3.99. Oh! Boy!

San Diego, California
“Authentic Deli…well, for San Diego:)”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have eaten here a number of times for the $3.99 breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 sausage or bacon (7-11:00 am) , mid-day lunch and dinner. I think the breakfast and lunch are where they shine. Great omelets, gravlax and bagels.muffins and challah bread. Piled high turkey or Reuben sandwiches on toasted rye bread with swiss cheese lettuce, tomato and thousand island dressing. Yum! Great cole slaw and pickles on the tables. We weren't too impressed with any of the dinners and we've tried a few times. They have these early bird specials that are a good deal but not so very tasty. Burgers are okay but dinners are like cafeteria style on a plate. Nothing fancy. That's fine but not if you want something a bit more. The atmosphere is very friendly, the waitresses are always attentive and keep your ice tea refilled. There are black and white autographied photos that line the walls featuring local and famous celebrities through the years. That's fun! I would definitely recommend you go early, late morning or mid afternoon on weekdays to get a table. Weekends and early breakfast are a mob. Check it out!

San Diego, California
“YES YES YES!! A REAL NYC style deli!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

First, yes, I'm Jewish and I know REAL delis and DZ Akins' is real. Once upon a time San Diego had a bunch of delis, some great some awful. Many have vanished and DZ's is one of the great ones. This is a GOOD SIZED deli and the main thing is: they do NOT give teeny portions. If you order their roast beef sandwich it is THICK. A salad? Big. A side order of their wonderful potato salad? BIG. There's a huge menu with all kinds of hot items, sandwiches, desserts, drinks (including Dr Brown's cream soda). No, it's not a kosher restaurant (I took people there that had sandwich with ham) but it is a real Jewish deli and reminds you of NYC. I look forward to sitting down and within SECOND have some of the sour and half sour pickles that you find in a jar on each table. I've taken my parents and my sister and others there and all of them love it. I've also taken people there who've never been to a REAL deli and they react the same way: OMG this food was great...look at the big portions...the best I've had! My only complaint (minor) as someone who is Jewish is that I wish they had chopped herring, something my grandmother made that's hard to find (but I d find it). DZ's also has photos of entertainers all over the walls (this includes a photo I gave them years ago). This is a great place to visit if you want either a deli sandwich or a great, dinner plate or SUPERB soup (chicken, matzo ball or my favorite their sweet/sour cabbage) or something more ethnic (latkes aka potato pancakes). If you order bagel and lox get ready for a BIG BIG BIG portion of cream cheese on the plate, big slices of onion, fresh tomato and cucumber and a HUGE portion of lox. It's worth every penny -- and MORE

2 Thank Joe G
“Very Disappointing!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I was Very disappointed with the service. The waitress actually threw the straws and napkins on the table while slamming her body into my back! Serving size was awesome but the food was a disappointment! I always had wonderful service before so this was a surprise. The food also in the past was awesome so don't know what happened. The bakery however was not a disappointment. The employees ther were happy to help. The bakery food is outstanding!