“Tom Bodette the light was OFF” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 San Diego - La Mesa

Motel 6 San Diego - La Mesa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in La Mesa
Phoenix, Arizona
“Tom Bodette the light was OFF”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Tom Bodette the light was OFF at this Motel 6. I would avoid this place. Summer rate in San Diego was extremely high, compared to the following night, for us. Should have look elsewhere. Started with the front desk, eating candy and not being able to speak, without laughing or playing with the piece of candy. Gave us wrong directions to our room. There was only one bar of soap in our room. No shampoo, lotion, cups, or Kleenex. Needless to say, no coffeemaker. The toilet paper roll was empty. Luckily, there was an extra roll. Glad our room was in the front, because there was a party in the back, that was noisy. Saw a Cop car drive thru the lot, twice. Would never consider this Motel 6, again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Before I begin, I just wanted to say that the best thing about this place was the staff. They were very nice when we first greeted and they called me later on to see if I was checked in all right. With that said, this place should probably be avoided. I think I ended up getting bad neighbors: they were constantly opening and closing doors, running up and down the balcony, yelling in the parking lot, and just making a lot of noise in general. This was every night until about 10pm. I had to be up early every morning, so this was a real pain to fall asleep to. The condition of the room was terrible. The floor was dirty and sticky. The room had a weird odor. The overall feeling or sense of the room was just depressing. It definitely seemed like an older motel. The room I got was not an updated Motel 6 room. The last thing I disliked was the internet. You pay $3.99 per night, but it's pretty slow and unresponsive. In the end, the price didn't match the quality of the motel. The price definitely didn't match the location either; it's right off the freeway in La Mesa.

Room Tip: No tips. It really depends on your neighbors, which can't be helped.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DavidWHowell

Travelers are raving about these La Mesa hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We needed a budget hotel for the weekend and this was it. The room was clean but had a bad smell when we first walked in, I'm pretty sure it was from the old AC unit, the smell did eventually get better. We loved that they are pet friendly and didn't have a pet fee. Don't expect a coffee maker or microwave in the rooms. The staff was super friendly, that's a plus. The only thing that made it uncomfortable was the sketchy people walking around all hours of the night. This place is definitely for those on a budget, keep that in mind.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Needed a last minute budget hotel for a night. At 1st sight this motel appeared shabby from the outside but the rooms were actually pretty nice. There's cable tv and a mini fridge. The linen was clean and our smoking room didn't smell stale. The location is close to public transportation, next to a grocery store and close to the main hwy.

• Stayed August 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a cool little place out of the way. I checked in around 4PM and the guy at the front desk was great. He offered to change my room for more convenient parking but the room he moved me to was smoking. So I went back to the original room and he gave me complementary WI FI access for the trouble of having to come back to the office to get the key redone. Great value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Charles D
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed for our last night to save some money after staying downtown all weekend. The hotel was clean enough, but you get what you pay for otherwise. The location is not very conveinent to the rest of San Diego and there is not much around as far as places to eat or for groceries. They do have a small continental breakfast in the mornings. That said, it's a good budget hotel I think we only paid $50 a night and it was fine for the price, I'd recommend it if you're looking to save money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I've been traveling for about a month, now. I've been staying in Motel 6's because most of them have been recently renovated & because they are the cheapest national motel chain. You can find a Motel 6 anywhere. So, the first Motel 6 I st as yed in was on the Las Vegas strip. My room was recently renovated. I asked for a recently renovated room. I had a flat screen tv & the bedding that comes with the recently renovated rooms, which is orange & beige. I had a stand up shower in the Motel 6 on the Lad Vegas strip. That mafe it hard to shave my legs standing up. So, the next Motel 6 I stayed at was in downtown San Diego. I asked for a recently renovated room. Again, it was nice. I had a bathtub & shower this time. Plus, I had a flat screen tv, again. I stayed in another Motel 6 near La Jolla. They call it Motel 6 North on my phone. It's on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. I didn't ask for a recently renovated room & didn't get one. There was carpet on the floors instead of the renovated wood. I don't think it's real wood. There was also no flat screen tv. Anyhow, this room wasn't recently renovated, but I was very pleased! I even got a room next to the ice machine. I was keeping bottled water in my sink & filling my sink with ice to keep it cold. So, being next to the ice machine was a plus. I did ask for a room downstairs, because of my luggage. It's heavy! However, the room I'm sta ying at in La Mesa, the room I should be reviewing, is NOT as nice as the others. The room had a musty smell... You get used to it & don't smell it anymore, though. The vent cover is off the A/C & Heating. There is also no flat screen. The sink in the bathroom is smaller than other Motel 6's. That's a problem because I'm using my sink as a make-shift ice chest. This Motel 6 is almost a mile from the trolley. I had to walk carrying very heavy luggage. I had a heavy bookbag on my shoulders. Call a cab if you carry luggage on your shoulders. This is unhealthy to walk with so much weight on you. I enjoy walking, but not with a heavy bookbag on my shoulders. It's so inconvienient to walk from the trolley to here, unless you have very little or no luggage at all.

• Stayed July 2012
BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area

Been to Motel 6 San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!