“Long Walk From Trolley, Musty Smell, Cover Off A/C & Heating, Small Sink If Using For Ice Chest”

Motel 6 San Diego - La Mesa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I've been traveling for about a month, now. I've been staying in Motel 6's because most of them have been recently renovated & because they are the cheapest national motel chain. You can find a Motel 6 anywhere. So, the first Motel 6 I st as yed in was on the Las Vegas strip. My room was recently renovated. I asked for a recently renovated room. I had a flat screen tv & the bedding that comes with the recently renovated rooms, which is orange & beige. I had a stand up shower in the Motel 6 on the Lad Vegas strip. That mafe it hard to shave my legs standing up. So, the next Motel 6 I stayed at was in downtown San Diego. I asked for a recently renovated room. Again, it was nice. I had a bathtub & shower this time. Plus, I had a flat screen tv, again. I stayed in another Motel 6 near La Jolla. They call it Motel 6 North on my phone. It's on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. I didn't ask for a recently renovated room & didn't get one. There was carpet on the floors instead of the renovated wood. I don't think it's real wood. There was also no flat screen tv. Anyhow, this room wasn't recently renovated, but I was very pleased! I even got a room next to the ice machine. I was keeping bottled water in my sink & filling my sink with ice to keep it cold. So, being next to the ice machine was a plus. I did ask for a room downstairs, because of my luggage. It's heavy! However, the room I'm sta ying at in La Mesa, the room I should be reviewing, is NOT as nice as the others. The room had a musty smell... You get used to it & don't smell it anymore, though. The vent cover is off the A/C & Heating. There is also no flat screen. The sink in the bathroom is smaller than other Motel 6's. That's a problem because I'm using my sink as a make-shift ice chest. This Motel 6 is almost a mile from the trolley. I had to walk carrying very heavy luggage. I had a heavy bookbag on my shoulders. Call a cab if you carry luggage on your shoulders. This is unhealthy to walk with so much weight on you. I enjoy walking, but not with a heavy bookbag on my shoulders. It's so inconvienient to walk from the trolley to here, unless you have very little or no luggage at all.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
None of your business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed at this Motel 6 while I was down south for vacation. I had La Mesa PD show up at my hotel room after midnight on the last night of my stay and place me under arrest, saying that they had a felony warrant for my arrest. I was not aware of this and if I had been, it would have been taken care of long ago. I went to jail ONCE in my life and it's been at least 5 years, but it's still haunting me... And out of the blue! I will never stay at this Motel 6 again.

Room Tip: Compliance with Law We may disclose Guest Information to law enforcement agencies, or may be requir...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Rosewood K

Travelers are raving about these La Mesa hotels

San Jose, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

We travel with our dog, so usually choose Motel 6 when traveling. But this praticular establishment left lots to be desired. Rooms smelled. Exterior looked rundown. Staff agreeable to refunding my charges. Worst Motel 6 I've experienced. I recommend Corporate pay a visit and bring it up to Motel 6 standards.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

We just needed a hotel for one night and I have to say I wasn't happy about the idea of a Motel 6. I have to say though,the hotel was very clean, the beds were comfortable and the service was absolutely outstanding. I cant say enough about all the staff there. Gave me a whole new impression of the Motel 6 chain.

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

My mom and I were staying in San Diego for one night so I booked this hotel. It was very basic, 2 queen beds, TV, soap, towels, etc. The room was clean and neat. The staff was nice. Location is not bad either, about 5 minutes to San Diego State University area, 15-20 to beaches. If you need a cheap and decent place to stay in SD and don't need a lot of amenities, I recommend this hotel. Good location, comfortable and clean rooms.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
#4 of 8 in La Mesa
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Days Inn & Suites San Diego SDSU
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area

Been to Motel 6 San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!