“Good Russian food in San Diego”

Village House Kalina
Ranked #72 of 206 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Ukrainian
Seattle
“Good Russian food in San Diego”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very good and authentic Russian & Ukrainian restaurant. Well prepared and tasty. I speak Russian with the owner and employees. Try the Borjomi sparkling water.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Seattlepete44

San Diego, California
“Like being a guest in someone's home”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Going to this restaurant is like going to someone's home. I say that in a good way, meaning the place has a homey feel to it. The plates, dishes, cups, silverware are all mis-matched. Heck, even the table and chairs were mis-matched (the table was too low, needed to lean over to eat). The food presentation is not there, but again that's not a complaint, but a nod to the homey feel. You can see part of the kitchen from the dining area and I imagine grandma's back there cooking.

They have a three course meal setup: salad, borscht, and then the entree. I can't remember my salad name, but all three of us got something different and they all were variations of a coleslaw type of salad. Not leafy greens if you know what I mean. I had the Ukranian borscht and liked it. For my entree I had dumplings and they were good.

Perhaps I'll edit this review with the names of everything I had. I think the point is that I'll definitely go again, because of the quirky nature of the place. The waitress cracked us up when we asked if they preferred a certain credit card. She said, "I don't care." Anywhere else that would seem rude, but she is just not polished and genuinely didn't mind which card we used.

My rating reflects my desire to go back and the atmosphere of the place, not necessarily the food.

• Visited September 2011