“Comfy beds, free wifi, super clean rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 La Mesa CA

Motel 6 La Mesa CA
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Big Stone City
“Comfy beds, free wifi, super clean rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

I read the other reviews on this hotel and they are spot on accurate. The rooms are clean, pretty quite ( traffic noise in the morning) and they use black out curtains so I was still asleep at 11am which was amazing. Showers had plenty of hot water, and the towels while a little worn worked great even soaked up the water on the floor from not closing the curtain all the way. I read the one review stating the towels ripped after the first use, thats a bunch of bull pucky! I'm a big man and they held up to me just fine, they're probably one of those " I want everything perfect but I don't want to pay for it" kind of families.

The man at the front desk was nice, I had called him and informed him I would be arriving late he said not to worry that he would be there till very early in the morning to help me check-in....and he was sitting at the desk at 3 in the morning when I finally got to the hotel.

Room Tip: Food Tip: Never eat at the mexican place down on the corner called Oscar's. The food tasted ok b...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank HammerSD
Super8SanDiego, General Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Allow me to thank you for your kind words about our hotel they are greatly appreciated. We apologize for the street noise. We at Super 8 La Mesa strive to make every stay for every guets as memorable as possible, and we are very pleased that your experience was pleasurable. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

The price is great and it is clean. Convenient location, great tv, and free parking and budget breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Super8SanDiego, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Lady Stephana, first allow me to sincerely thank you for choosing Super 8 La Mesa for your travel needs. We are glade that you are finding everything accommodating. We are also in the process of upgrading our Continental Breakfast to include waffles and or pancakes, chocolate milk and other breakfast delights.
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Planned a last minute visit to SD at the end of Comic-Con. With few reasonable rooms available downtown, I chose to stay further out. I was very pleased with the hotel room. Bed was comfortable, lots of room in fridge for stocking drinks and snacks, with a grocery store just down the street. Downside was having to do more driving, but highway access is easy. Front desk staff was very helpful with driving directions.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Snurful
I am thrilled that we were able to exceed the expectations of a valued guest. I am humbled by the fact that we are your first review. I have to give full credit to our team memebers who genuinely care about every guest who stays at our facility. I will share you kind words with my team to ensure their efforts are not going unnoticed by our valued guests and to serve as motivation to exceed the expectations of every guest, every time. Once again, we are very greatful you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to seeing you again!
Sacramento, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Great place - see all the other reviews as they are absolutely correct. Comfy bed, safe feeling in parking lot and neighborhood, clean, beautiful rooms, very helpful and friendly staff. If there was traffic noise we didn't notice because we kept the fan on overnight and it completely drowned out any street noise.

Amenities: Microfridge/microwave in room. Hair dryer and coffee maker with coffee, free wifi (great signal), some covered parking, pillowtop beds, desk, lg flat screen tv. In the bathroom great little high class soaps and shampoos. Feels very fancy ;-)

I'm a budget traveler - I feel that if you pay more than $35 a night for a stopover you are paying too much. Now, I realize this is becoming more unreasonable as we get farther from the 1990's ;-) However, I still try to keep my hotel bills under $50 a night or feel i better be getting something good for it. I have started to realize that in some big cities and some neighborhoods if you go under $80-90 a night you run the risk of having neighbors who also spend time in the local jail on their off-nights. That said, after reading reviews for another hotel (motel) in this area with comparable rates, I was nervous about staying in this area if a place that had $60 rates. I was pleasantly surprised by this property and the staff. Clean, spacious and safe feeling. Newly remodeled so you feel you are in a 3 or 4 star hotel. This is my first review but I felt so appreciative that there are business owners who seem to understand how to do business that I had to speak up and add my praise to what is already the #1 hotel in this area. Stay here. You won't regret it.

PS Yes, the review about the towels (the only negative review -and read the manager's response - I thought he answered their concerns fully) is correct only in that the towels are thin and seem worn (not dirty - just worn). However, they are perfectly satisfactory, clean and absorb a lot of water. If this is one of the concessions the owners make to save money on rates, it is well worth it! They are typical motel towels - nothing unusual.

Room Tip: Small property in a 'U' shape facing the road so it really doesn't matter where your ro...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I wanted to share my satisfaction about staying in this hotel. The hotel is great! It is renovated, clean, the staff is very friendly. There is fridge, microwave and flat TV in the room. There is a good fish-grill restaurant next to the hotel. I definitely return back here with my family, and also recommend to my friends and co-workers. My special thanks to hotel manager - Jitendra, who helped me when I forgot laptop power adapter in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We thank you for sharing your experience at the Super 8 San Diego Area/La Mesa. I am glad Jitendra was able to help with your laptop situation and I will share with him your comments. I am pleased he was able to take care of your needs. We all have forgotten an item or two when traveling and if it is in our ability we will provide the business tools needed to help make your visit to San Diego a success. Once again thank you for your kind words!
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

SUMMARY: A great place to stay if you can tolerate traffic noise in the early morning.

If you're a light sleeper like me and you plan to sleep past 7:00 a.m., find another place to stay.

------

We asked for a quiet upstairs room on our internet reservation.

When we got to the hotel, the desk clerk read that reservation request and asked about giving us a room a room he said was as quiet as he had. The only kicker was that he said the wireless internet didn't work back there.

I absolutely require wi-fi at a hotel. So, we asked for a quiet room where the internet did work. He gave us a room as far away from University Avenue as possible. But, like almost all the other rooms in the hotel, it still faced the street.

Having read other reviews, before we went to sleep that night, we turned on the fan in our room to drown out any possible morning traffic noise. That didn't do the trick, however. We were still awakened by the traffic noise at about 7:00 a.m. That's pretty much a deal-breaker for me, but I know others aren't so particular about traffic noise, so I've rated the hotel mostly on its other features.

As for the room itself, it was by far the nicest Super 8 we've ever stayed in. The bed linens were more like those in a Hilton than a Super 8. The furniture and lamps were definitely upscale. The shower worked well with great pressure and plenty of hot water. They even provided specialty soaps. The counter-top was granite. It all looked quite new. The room came with an LG LCD TV. And the wireless internet worked fine.

Breakfast was meager: apples, bananas and sweet rolls and coffee. We ate at the Denny's about 1.5 miles away.

If you're a light sleeper, you might want to find another hotel. But if you can tolerate some traffic noise (or don't plan to sleep past about 7:00 a.m.), then this is a great and comfortable place to stay.

I do think it would be nice if the proprietor would get internet access to all his rooms. That way, there would be a few rooms with internet that were quiet. Those rooms, currently without internet, while still a bit open to the street noise, would surely be quieter than the one we stayed in.

Room Tip: If you're a heavy sleeper, get a room as far away from the traffic noise as possible and turn on...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank westoverroad
Allow me to thank you for your kind words about our hotel they are greatly appreciated. We apologize for the street noise and in consideration of your comments, we are in the process of implementing a new WiFi system to provide managed wireless Internet access to all of our rooms. It is the feedback of our guests that allows us to continually improve the guest experience at Super 8 San Diego Area/La Mesa.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Great value, great staff...

Pros: Free internet, free parking, free breakfast...
Microwave/fridge/coffee machine in the room...
Very kind and helpful staff...The maps and infos were a nice touch...
They do the extra mile to make you feel comfortable...
Lots of shopping center around (need a car).

Cons:A bit noisy (morning traffic)
Towel a little tired...

For less than 55$ a night it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We apologize for the street noise and the conditions of the towles. We attempt to utilize the feedback from our guest to provide a conitually improving guest environment. We are in the process of implementing products and procedures to address the concerns and it is our hope you will give us another oppurtunity to serve your lodging needs. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and let me extend my gratitude for your kind words.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
Lodge Of La Mesa
#4 of 8 in La Mesa
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Kings Inn San Diego
Kings Inn San Diego
#39 of 279 in San Diego
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,907 reviews

Been to Motel 6 La Mesa CA? Share your experiences!