“Clean, remodeled, safe and a great value!”
Review of Motel 6 La Mesa CA

Motel 6 La Mesa CA
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Sacramento, New Mexico, United States
“Clean, remodeled, safe and a great value!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Great place - see all the other reviews as they are absolutely correct. Comfy bed, safe feeling in parking lot and neighborhood, clean, beautiful rooms, very helpful and friendly staff. If there was traffic noise we didn't notice because we kept the fan on overnight and it completely drowned out any street noise.

Amenities: Microfridge/microwave in room. Hair dryer and coffee maker with coffee, free wifi (great signal), some covered parking, pillowtop beds, desk, lg flat screen tv. In the bathroom great little high class soaps and shampoos. Feels very fancy ;-)

I'm a budget traveler - I feel that if you pay more than $35 a night for a stopover you are paying too much. Now, I realize this is becoming more unreasonable as we get farther from the 1990's ;-) However, I still try to keep my hotel bills under $50 a night or feel i better be getting something good for it. I have started to realize that in some big cities and some neighborhoods if you go under $80-90 a night you run the risk of having neighbors who also spend time in the local jail on their off-nights. That said, after reading reviews for another hotel (motel) in this area with comparable rates, I was nervous about staying in this area if a place that had $60 rates. I was pleasantly surprised by this property and the staff. Clean, spacious and safe feeling. Newly remodeled so you feel you are in a 3 or 4 star hotel. This is my first review but I felt so appreciative that there are business owners who seem to understand how to do business that I had to speak up and add my praise to what is already the #1 hotel in this area. Stay here. You won't regret it.

PS Yes, the review about the towels (the only negative review -and read the manager's response - I thought he answered their concerns fully) is correct only in that the towels are thin and seem worn (not dirty - just worn). However, they are perfectly satisfactory, clean and absorb a lot of water. If this is one of the concessions the owners make to save money on rates, it is well worth it! They are typical motel towels - nothing unusual.

Room Tip: Small property in a 'U' shape facing the road so it really doesn't matter where your ro...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Irvine, California
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I wanted to share my satisfaction about staying in this hotel. The hotel is great! It is renovated, clean, the staff is very friendly. There is fridge, microwave and flat TV in the room. There is a good fish-grill restaurant next to the hotel. I definitely return back here with my family, and also recommend to my friends and co-workers. My special thanks to hotel manager - Jitendra, who helped me when I forgot laptop power adapter in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Super8SanDiego, General Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
We thank you for sharing your experience at the Super 8 San Diego Area/La Mesa. I am glad Jitendra was able to help with your laptop situation and I will share with him your comments. I am pleased he was able to take care of your needs. We all have forgotten an item or two when traveling and if it is in our ability we will provide the business tools needed to help make your visit to San Diego a success. Once again thank you for your kind words!
Austin
Reviewed December 28, 2011

SUMMARY: A great place to stay if you can tolerate traffic noise in the early morning.

If you're a light sleeper like me and you plan to sleep past 7:00 a.m., find another place to stay.

------

We asked for a quiet upstairs room on our internet reservation.

When we got to the hotel, the desk clerk read that reservation request and asked about giving us a room a room he said was as quiet as he had. The only kicker was that he said the wireless internet didn't work back there.

I absolutely require wi-fi at a hotel. So, we asked for a quiet room where the internet did work. He gave us a room as far away from University Avenue as possible. But, like almost all the other rooms in the hotel, it still faced the street.

Having read other reviews, before we went to sleep that night, we turned on the fan in our room to drown out any possible morning traffic noise. That didn't do the trick, however. We were still awakened by the traffic noise at about 7:00 a.m. That's pretty much a deal-breaker for me, but I know others aren't so particular about traffic noise, so I've rated the hotel mostly on its other features.

As for the room itself, it was by far the nicest Super 8 we've ever stayed in. The bed linens were more like those in a Hilton than a Super 8. The furniture and lamps were definitely upscale. The shower worked well with great pressure and plenty of hot water. They even provided specialty soaps. The counter-top was granite. It all looked quite new. The room came with an LG LCD TV. And the wireless internet worked fine.

Breakfast was meager: apples, bananas and sweet rolls and coffee. We ate at the Denny's about 1.5 miles away.

If you're a light sleeper, you might want to find another hotel. But if you can tolerate some traffic noise (or don't plan to sleep past about 7:00 a.m.), then this is a great and comfortable place to stay.

I do think it would be nice if the proprietor would get internet access to all his rooms. That way, there would be a few rooms with internet that were quiet. Those rooms, currently without internet, while still a bit open to the street noise, would surely be quieter than the one we stayed in.

Room Tip: If you're a heavy sleeper, get a room as far away from the traffic noise as possible and turn on...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank westoverroad
Allow me to thank you for your kind words about our hotel they are greatly appreciated. We apologize for the street noise and in consideration of your comments, we are in the process of implementing a new WiFi system to provide managed wireless Internet access to all of our rooms. It is the feedback of our guests that allows us to continually improve the guest experience at Super 8 San Diego Area/La Mesa.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Great value, great staff...

Pros: Free internet, free parking, free breakfast...
Microwave/fridge/coffee machine in the room...
Very kind and helpful staff...The maps and infos were a nice touch...
They do the extra mile to make you feel comfortable...
Lots of shopping center around (need a car).

Cons:A bit noisy (morning traffic)
Towel a little tired...

For less than 55$ a night it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the street noise and the conditions of the towles. We attempt to utilize the feedback from our guest to provide a conitually improving guest environment. We are in the process of implementing products and procedures to address the concerns and it is our hope you will give us another oppurtunity to serve your lodging needs. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and let me extend my gratitude for your kind words.
Orange, California
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I travel through the area on my way to speaking engagements, and have stayed in many hotels in the area, including virtually every one on Hotel Circle. I've stayed at the Super 8/La Mesa 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months. The price here has always been better than most, but that's not my main consideration.

The rooms are always clean and smell fresh (NOT that "chemical" smell you often get in some hotels), and the amenities in the rooms are standard and comparable to any other local hotel in this price range (though I find it BETTER than the more expensive places, where they also charge for parking and internet availability), so that's not my main consideration, either.

The big, BIG plus I've found here is the staff. The cleaning ladies are always friendly and helpful, should you need an extra towel or other items. The guys behind the front desk could NOT be more helpful, always eager to discuss options for local activities or food, always willing to help you find your way. And at the top of the list is the manager of the facility, Mitesh. Smart, friendly, and clearly the role model for all the excellent staff here. I've not run across a better host in ANY hotel, regardless of cost.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Super8SanDiego, General Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
I am thrilled that we were able to exceed the expectations of a traveling professional, it is gratifying and motivating at the same time. I am humbled by your comments, but have to give full credit to our team memebers who genuinely care about every guest who stays at our facility. I will share you kind words with my team to ensure their efforts are not going unnoticed by our valued guests and to serve as motivation to exceed the expectations of every guest, every time.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Stayed here whilst visiting friends in La Mesa, otherwise we would have chosen to stay in San Diego which is a fair better location. Got a good price - about £35 per king room for up to 2 people, and stayed in two of the renovated rooms. Basic bathrooms but clean with some amenities, rooms had TVs, microwaves, coffee makers and fridges, and really comfy beds/bedding. Our rooms were next to the stairwells which meant there was some noise with people coming and going, but otherwise it was peaceful. Breakfast of juice/coffee/pastries/fruit/cereal was offered in the reception area. The management were very friendly and helpful during check-in and offering advice about local facilities.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for allowing us to serve you on your recent trip to San Diego/ La Mesa. We do apologize for the noise, but are very pleased that we met your expectations and we hope to be of service to you again on your next trip to the La Mesa area.
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This motel offers the best quality/price in town. Rooms are very clean, good beds, à desk, free wifi, furniture is ok, large TV, microwave and fridge, and coffee. People are friendly, and thé price is low. I just end a 5 nights stay, and I dont feel miserable, as it often happens in cheap places.
The only thing that could bother, is that there is not much to do in the area. But who really cares? 10 min from downtown, 10 min from SDSU, fine for me. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank MSETGA
Thank you so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are very glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the accommodations were what you expected for a great stay. It is a little quiet in the area, but you are correct downtown's Gaslamp District and the beaches are only 10-15 minutes away. We hope you will come stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to San Diego.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Days Inn & Suites San Diego SDSU
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area

Been to Motel 6 La Mesa CA? Share your experiences!